Bringing an Ipad into Vietnam as a gift

I am planning to bring a new Ipad into Vietnam as a gift for a friend. I will also have my own laptop that I will be using. Will there be any problems, any duty or taxes? Or would it be smarter for me to buy the new Ipad in Vietnam, what are the prices like?

yeah. there's no problems, but u may have to unbox it first :)

It's a gift, so it will have the box and sealed. I don't want to open it up.

About 6 months ago I brought 2 new iPhone 4S cells in sealed boxes as gifts.  There were no problems.

I bring in Raspberry Pi CPUs in 20's and they never even bother to look.

Just say it is yours, if they ask, and you haven't had time to open it.

Normally they do not bother foreigners. However, if you are a foreigner and your luggage is cardboard boxes they will scrutinze your box when it goes through the xray machine.

If they tell you you have to pay tax on it try and tell them it is a gift. More than likely once they start talking about taxes you will end up having to donate to them. Not sure what the coffee money is on iPads you might want to check it out first and have only that amount handy when they tell you the can work something out.

My last few trips to VN I brought in 1 or 2 cardboard boxes besides my luggage.  The last time it was 1 box with 18 large bottles of pills and 25 pounds (about 12kg) of chocolate.  Barely paused at the x-ray machine on my way out.

perry88 wrote:

My last few trips to VN I brought in 1 or 2 cardboard boxes besides my luggage.  The last time it was 1 box with 18 large bottles of pills and 25 pounds (about 12kg) of chocolate.  Barely paused at the x-ray machine on my way out.

They got me about a year ago for Vitamins, they didn't even care about the Morphine and Percocet. Just looked at it and pointed to the Vitamins saying medicine, expensive, tax.

One thing is how the law is practice, another thing is the real law.

As per the real law, you are allowed bring in goods for personal use appropriate for the trip you are taking without paying tax. Anything beyond that, you have to pay import tax and VAT.

Bringing a brand new iPad still in a box definitely qualifies for paying tax. I understand that you would have not to pay import tax, but you have to pay VAT = 10% of the value (if you can convince the Ipad belongs to category "Handheld electronics". Otherwise, you may have to pay impor tax and higher VAT)

it's a gift , but I suggest u unbox it , flatten the box . Just in case . I Ve tried several times , including old phones .. Was lucky .

The guy saying he had no problems was lucky.  I'd unbox it.  I came over in 2010 with two new ones and a laptop all in one case.  No problems.

In boxes, I would have had to pay.  Your recipient will understand this.

Traveled through VN customs in and out over the last month. No problems taking a ipad, ipod, and laptop in, as well as several old cell phones, all of which were used and gifted. No one at customs seemed to care.  HOWEVER, on the security check to get on the returning aircraft, the Vietnamese-American male in front of me was taken aside after being patted down, and a large wad of bills was removed from his pocket. He and his wife went off with customs.

Don't know for sure, but I think Customs is far more concerned about money going out of the country, than coming in..