Leaving Brazil

Hello everyone, I am currently living in Brazil illegally. I'm going to leave soon and I wanted to know what is the process to leave. I know that I have a fine to pay. Do I pay that fine at the airport? Or at the Policia Federal? And if I do pay the fine do I still get that ugly stamp on my passport???

Hi Chris,

You usually pay the fine at the airport, the Federal Police issue you a GRU which is payable at any bank so hopefully your filght will be during normal banking hours. You can also pay on returning to Brazil, but then the chances are more likely that you WILL get the overstay stamp in your passport.

Depending on just how long the overstay is, and if you pay it before departure, some members have managed to avoid the overstay stamp and the potential consequences that may mean in other countries.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

What is a GRU? And is it possible for me to maybe pay it a day before at the Federal Police and leave the next day?

It depends on whether or not you know exactly how many days you've overstayed. If you've overstayed more than 100 days beyond your original departure date (which is the maximum overstay fine) then you don't need to calculate, you just pay the maximum. The fine is R$8,28 per day (max. 100 days).

A GRU (Guia de Receita da União) is a computerized invoice/receipt you generate on the Policia Federal website for any fee/fine, you print it off and pay it at any bank. If your overstay is 100 days or more then go to the DPF webpage for GRU HERE

Fill out all the information (NOTE: fields with an ORANGE asterisk are mandatory fields to be filled out).  In the field for "Unidade Arrecadadora" click the down arrow and scroll down until you find the DPF delegacy you are going to pay the fine at, and click on it to enter it into the field. In the "Código da Receita STN" click on the magnifying glass to open the table of fees/fines, and scroll down to 140414      Multa      DEMORAR-SE NO TERRITORIO NACIONAL APOS ESGOTADO O PRAZO LEGAL DE ESTADA (MINIMO: R$ 8,28 - MAXIMO: R$ 827,75)     8,28 click on that to enter it into the field then either do the math and calculate overstay days or pay the maximum if over 100. Enter the exact amount in the "Valor Total" field. and click on "Gerar Guia", print it off and pay it within 7 days at any bank. Then you take that receipt to the Federal Police along with your outbound ticket to prove you're leaving. That should take care of everything. Keep the GRU for when you're actually departing because the  DPF Agent at International Departures is the one who is going to want to see the GRU.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team