Name change after getting Married

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me with my confusion on this.

My Wife and I got married here in the UK under the fiance visa, She has now got her BRP as of today.

She is Brazilian and i'm from the UK, We want change her name on her passport in Brazil but in order to do that they require something like a drivers licence to confirm the change which is a pain.

Due to the rules her maiden name is on our marriage certificate, my question is, can she start using my last name here in the UK to build up a profile? Like is it possible for her to open a Bank account with my last name etc?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jack

Someone might have answers but I would suggest getting your marriage cert notarised and also getting the Notary to make an affidavit where you testify that you are married and your wife will be using your name, she can also get her name changed. I read a document on a Brazil Gov site with the other name. Google changing your name in Brazil and then you will see the Br Gov sites.

11/15/22 @bwfc122.  Hi, Jack.  This is extremely tricky:  Brazil is far less open to legal name changes than English-speaking countries are. 

When we got married in the US, my husband wanted to change his name to mine, but we held off so as not to complicate my application for permanent residency in Brazil, which was submitted immediately after.  We both assumed that he could do it when we got here, but no.  We brought it up through the court system with a lawyer we trust, and got turned down every time.  He's now completing law school and has laid the problem before two of his teachers who are experts and practitioners in the field and gotten the same answer:  you can't get there from here.

One thing that may work in you favor is that you haven't tried to become a Brazilian resident yet.  Have you registered your marriage at the Brazilian Consulate yet?  If not, ask them whether you two will be able to register the marriage under her married name.  As I recall, they ask during the registration process whether either party wants to do that.  If they allow that, then you'll have an official Brazilian document with her new name on it that will be used to register your marriage in Brazil, so that should probably suffice.  But make sure that the Consulate will allow it before you change anything.

As for opening bank accounts, etc. in her married name, if British law allows it then I'm sure there's no problem, but that doesn't guarantee that the Brazilian authorities will accept it.  They seem to be telling you that they want an official, government-issued document, and I'm a little surprised that they've even gone that far. 

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Bwfc122 take a look at this link it's a Brazilan Government info piece  https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … ge-of-name

11/15/22 Bwfc122 take a look at this link it's a Brazilan Government info piece https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … ge-of-name
-@ltoby955

Thanks, Itoby955!  Couldn't be clearer than that.

@ltoby955 I'm just revisiting this as I am still no further forwards. How do I get my wife's new name on one of these documents?  Will the UK not ask for proof? Like lets say I updated her name or her BRP which is coming up for renewal at the end of this year, will they let me?

Ask yourself why you need this and does it really matter ?

It's not worth the brain damage honestly........I'm a Canadian married to a Brasilian and we did not change any names upon marriage. Saved us a huge documentary headache going forward.

01/25/24 @ltoby955 I'm just revisiting this as I am still no further forwards. How do I get my wife's new name on one of these documents?  Will the UK not ask for proof? Like lets say I updated her name or her BRP which is coming up for renewal at the end of this year, will they let me?

-@bwfc122

Hi, Jack.  A lot has changed since your 2022 post.  A new law liberalizing name changes went into effect in Brazil at the end of 2022.  There was a great deal of confusion about it at first, but that's been resolved.  The next time you two are in Brazil, your wife can add your name to hers at a cartório without judicial action.  The Federal Police will then issue her a new passport with her married name. 

I mentioned in my 2022 response above that my husband had wanted to adopt my name, and a judge had refused permission under the old law.  In 2023 he was able to walk into a cartório and just do it, and now his passport and all his documents show his name as he wanted it.  He wasn't allowed to drop any of his name (for "reasons" -- go figure!) but he was able to add mine onto the end.

Here's a report from the Federal Senate explaining -- and taking credit for -- the change:

https://www12.senado.leg.br/noticias/in … o-judicial

My Brazillian wife and I have been married 15 years. She never changed her name. We've never had issues in any dealings with accounts etc.. FYI—

01/25/24  My Brazillian wife and I have been married 15 years. She never changed her name. We've never had issues in any dealings with accounts etc.. FYI—   

-@bepmoht

Some people just want to change their names.  The heart wants what it wants. 💞