Info on moving from GB to Philippines

Hi, I will be moving to the phippines but so much i need to know, How much money can i carry in cheque or cash,what is the best way to send a large amount as i will be selling my proerty here and getting married and buying a house. what can any one tell me about pensions. by the way im 72 is there an age limit to be let in. if any one can help on any thing i should know please tell :)

Thanks     
                                                                   Melvyn

There is of course no age limit. You may retire here at any age. But are you planning to get by just through your pension? For a simple life of a couple with no kids, fifty thousand pesos a.month is not bad. This already includes your rent and utilities. As for the money youll get in selling your property, just deposit it in citibank uk and withdraw it ina local citi branch when you get here

Hi thanks for reply im looking at at approx 60k a month there will be no rent i will by house plus a possible 10million peso from sale of house i will never return turn GB do you think i could live on 60k peso per month. also what visa would i want i dont wont a lot of hassle at my age.
                                                               Melvyn

Hi Melvyn,

Scary that you mentioned you will never go back to GB with finality. Anyway, 60k is ok. Groceries for the month would cost at least P6000-P8000, utilities (e.g. power, water, phone, LPG) would cost about P8000 so the rest should be fine to get by.

As for the money, as I've said, you may deposit it to big banks that have branches here too like HSBC, Standard Chartered, Citibank and the likes. I suggest you go to their global websites, look for Philippines and view their list of services.

For visas, click this link: immigration.gov.ph/ and choose the Visas tab. There, you may choose what type of visa would you like to apply for. But honestly, Melvyn, I suggest that you get tips from Brits in this site who have settled here and ask for their opinions on how it's like living here. They'd be the best people to give you transparent advises. Keep in touch and hope this helps.

MELVYN P wrote:

Hi thanks for reply im looking at at approx 60k a month there will be no rent i will by house plus a possible 10million peso from sale of house i will never return turn GB do you think i could live on 60k peso per month. also what visa would i want i dont wont a lot of hassle at my age.
                                                               Melvyn

Not a good idea to buy a house right away, make sure you want to live in a particular area first.  Best to rent for a year.

try to rent first and check if the location is ok with you, then you can probably get or buy a house/condo afterwards. 60k/month is really ok.

Hi Melvyn,

You mentioned you will sell your property in GB and will marry.  Are you marrying a Filipino?  From where is she?  Even in Manila, you can comfortably live with 60K.  Should you decide to buy house, I can help you because I am a licensed real estate broker.

Cheers,

Ruby

i fully agree with the suggestion that you rent first to get to know the areas you will like

also please be aware that a foreigner may own a condo but not landed property - i have met a few who made the mistake that believing their relationship would last forever, and then bought a house in the name of their wife/girlfriend

please visit the philippine retirement authority and get advice on all aspects of their programme before you decide on the type of visa you will obtain - i think it is a good programme with several advantages

MELVYN P wrote:

Melvyn

The Retirement Visa would be best for less hassle. http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1
you just need to deposit US$10,000 and prove US$800.00 per month pension.
You can put that US$10,000 towards buying a condo, if it costs at least US$50,000.

The retirement visa is renewed every year for currently US$360.  The application fee is: US$1,400

A tourists Visa means renewing it every two months, (or 6 months at some oiffices) and then taking a trip out of the country every 18-24 months, and start again.  Visa renewals would cost a bit more than PHP20,000 (US$500) per year.

PHP60,000 per year with no rent looks like a reasonable life. Not extravagant though.
Some have said that you can live like a king on that...  Its not my idea of a Kings lifestyle though ;)

Edit: The Philippines Government often price things in US$. 
eg:  The price for an ACR I-card (which you will need renewed each year) is quoted as PHP500 plus US$50..

Hi Melvyn,

You shouldn't boo boo at 72 years of age and find yourself penniless and heartbroken. Best to rent for at least 12 months and then rent out your home in the UK and see how things go for another year or so.
It really is a minefield here as regards Filipino partners and best to not take too many chances...slowly slowly..

I'm British by the way.

I find BPI a good bank with also a Star account with their European branch in London, all accessible on-line

Peter

hi there..its nice to hear u chose Philippines for a place to retire.But lots of things u have to know before deciding to stay for good.Make sure you are not marrying someone just because u wanted to stay for good and with the thinking  that it will help ...it will at some point if u wont be scammed by some good  locals who i shamefully admits that do exist mostly on online chat or dating sites..You should atleast try to rent a condo for a few months, keep ur money in a big bank which u can find a list online.and i don't think u will allowed to own a property unless u marry  or stayed here for a certain period of time.Its not expensive to live here in the Philippines it will depend on ur lifestyle but if ur willing to blend in and open to  changes, it wouldn't cost you that much but u have to really be careful who to trust ..not saying that people here cannot be trusted ,its all the same everywhere, there are good people and there are bad,,u just need to be extra cautious tho, try to learn more before moving.try looking at some areas first and decide where u want to stay.you can also ask those who decided to move here and are now staying for good  and let them share to you their experience..Good luck and God bless!

you may inquire at our immigrations office here in Manila. i know our gov't has a program for foreign retirees. with your 10M you will live like a King in the Philippines. all you need is find a trustworthy person. i'll leave u my contact nos and should you need assistance pls do not hesitate to contact me +63 9151214084 - Alan :)

arabianfalcon wrote:

you may inquire at our immigrations office here in Manila. i know our gov't has a program for foreign retirees. with your 10M you will live like a King in the Philippines. all you need is find a trustworthy person. i'll leave u my contact nos and should you need assistance pls do not hesitate to contact me +63 9151214084 - Alan :)

I've been told many times that I could live like a king in the Philippines, but the definition of "living like a king" leaves a lot of room for discussion.  I spend almost a million pesos a year here, on average, and in no way do I live like a king.
My ideal budget for a really nice lifestyle here (but even then, NOT like a king) would be nearer 160,000 pesos per month, or 2 million per year.

ABCDiamond u must have a very high standard of living....only the wealthy Pinoy's can afford to spend a million pesos a year to live in Manila but hold on if I win the lottery jackpot I will try to spend a million pesos a day to experience a good life in Manila hehehehe :)

The Brits I know who married Filippinos all ended up penniless after their crying wife/gf got them involved in buying property which was a scam (or overpriced and the rest went to their family and friends), or paying for this and that for the wife/gf family.

Just be very very very very careful and do not take all your money into the Philippines. Check out the lay of the land sugar daddy. Oh no, here we go again.............................. as they laughingly say "old fart meets young tart" Bingo - luxury life for everyone.

Also remember when moving from Green Bay to the Philippines that it will be much warmer and no community owned NFL team.

arabianfalcon wrote:

ABCDiamond u must have a very high standard of living....only the wealthy Pinoy's can afford to spend a million pesos a year to live in Manila but hold on if I win the lottery jackpot I will try to spend a million pesos a day to experience a good life in Manila hehehehe :)

Standard of living by what standard ?  THAT is the point..  By Pinoy standards YES, but we are discussing what expats want and need.

My standard of living here is lower than it was in Australia or UK, at 80,000 per month (1 mill per year). My rent takes half of that figure.

I have a decent one bedroom small apartment of about 70sqm, but it has hot water at ALL taps, bathroom and kitchen ;)
I rarely eat out at restaurants, we mainly cook.
I avoid using the Air Con, as the electric bill may go too high.

It is important for expats to look at the real comparison for the lifestyle they want.  If they wish to live like locals, then yes, it will be cheaper, but if they wish to live a similar lifestyle to their old country, in this case the UK, then it may not be as cheap as they expect.

exactly sir because Manila is not a cheap pleace to live just like other cities in the world :)

Why come to the Philippines to live the same lifestyle as at home?
For the typhoons?
For the floods?
For the humidity?

mugtech wrote:

Why come to the Philippines to live the same lifestyle as at home?
For the typhoons?
For the floods?
For the humidity?

Many people come because they think it is a LOT cheaper in the Philippines, thinking they can live like kings.

Weatherwise though, typhoons and floods don't hit everywhere in the Philippines.

Humidity needs some getting used to if coming from UK, but can be similar to some parts of Australia,

For us its the warm weather and economy. It does take a couple of years to get acclimatized. 2006 we slept naked with fans over us, now we wear pajamas and enjoy warm showers and a quilt. 
We also know of UK chaps who have sucumbed to the scams of extension families and ended up with nothing, but at least we offer advice. Love is blind can even catch us old timers. :par:

MELVYN P wrote:

Hi, I will be moving to the phippines but so much i need to know, How much money can i carry in cheque or cash,what is the best way to send a large amount as i will be selling my proerty here and getting married and buying a house. what can any one tell me about pensions. by the way im 72 is there an age limit to be let in. if any one can help on any thing i should know please tell :)

Thanks     
                                                                   Melvyn

Hi Melvyn,
If you have never been to the Philippines before, you should hold your horses and go over and have a look round first. Its totally different to the UK in every possible way. Over population, pollution, poverty and of course the toilets are beyond belief. After saying that. I lived there for a while and I love it. Being born in Africa may have helped.
Be VERY VERY careful buying a house. Foreigners arent allowed to own property. Except a condo. So your wife will be the proud owner for you. Which is fine till the shite hits the fan and you have to leave empty handed. My advice. leave some money at home for emergencies. Everyone you meet will want to get money out of you. You WILL be responsible for your wifes family too.
Living a western style life in the Philippines is expensive. But your 60,000 pesos (about 900 pounds) will do you fine. You have to buy all medication and pay for every single thing if you're hospitalised. From your meds to syringes, needles tubes, doctors, room, food etc etc. So hope you have or can get insurance.
Thats about it for starters. My biggest number one advice would be to go there and check it out first. BEFORE selling anything

Can you have your place rented first, instead of selling.  10M Php will not last long in the Philippines, especially if you are getting married.  Its like marrying the whole tribe.  60K Php is not bad for the 2 of you as long as she don't give it away.

I suggest live near the beach.

We lived in a beach house for 2 years and I built a couple of small boats. The poorest folk in the Philippines live by the sea and catch fish for a living, There living standards leave a lot to be desired and I would advise against it, we moved away. i would choose a nice subdivision on the outskirts of a city that you like and rent there for a while.

Give your partner an allowance of say 10,000 a month and see how it goes before increasing it.

Another idea is to budget what you can afford for the Family and make it the max they can have. Not all Filipinos come with extended family responsibilities and I checked out my wife's family before popping the question. These days it can be done on line before ever meeting her.

i agree with you violet23, every where there is good and bad people.
i have a question,
what change after marriage? i mean what i can do after marriage? like before marriage i can't buy house, and also after marriage i can't buy house, so i am asking, what change,  how about visa? can change some thing ? can i have visa easy and for a cheaper price then with turist visa?
thanks

i advice, first you come in philippines and then open a count in a bank, then after send money through bank, and not bring with you much money, it isn't safe, and then there is limitation for bring money in cash with you, you can have many problem in airport too.
for me it is better you wait buy house almost one o more year better first rent, even just for see if you like neighborhood, and then for avoid any caind of scam.
me too i want stay in philippines but until now i didn't find a right way
good luck

giovannigio wrote:

i agree with you violet23, every where there is good and bad people.
i have a question,
what change after marriage? i mean what i can do after marriage? like before marriage i can't buy house, and also after marriage i can't buy house, so i am asking, what change,  how about visa? can change some thing ? can i have visa easy and for a cheaper price then with turist visa?
thanks

If you ENTER the Philippines with your Filipino spouse, you get a one year free visa, the balikbayan visa.
http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php … -previlege

Then there is the marriage visa
http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php … y-marriage

thanks ABCD

Hi Melvyn
Im grateful over such a sound and healthy advise from the Filipinos same as me. I am here in Lancashire for the last 16 yrs. having a visit twice a year. I found about 7 English expats in my place in Marinduque, Philippines enjoying life of easy pace. Steps they did were  (1) secured a lawyer with the knowledge on expatriate eg, status, even a financial matter, I can provide you one if you would like.They are married to the local most of them (but be careful, one of them is John from Lancaster who married the whole tribe) you know what I mean? End up a heck of mess! I know it coz Im Filipino but not all of them. (2) Dont buy a property first, not just youre showing off but a careful planning. (3) Dont gamble all your money. What Im trying to tell you is theres is no such Financial Compensation Scheme in the Phil even if they are HSBC or Citi bank they are bounded by the local financial conduct. Even though youre having Trillions of peso you are only covered up to P250k. Not a good idea to distribute your money on diff banks. Just bring £4k cash as this the AML set up and allowed. Use PNB in London as they are secured of course covered by Scheme, for lets say £20k transfer with good rates. Leave some money in the UK, its easy to fly back if you need some.
Well, If you like Marinduque let me know my cousin is married to an Austrian running a resort. Or I can offer you my simple holiday 2 beds home just near the Airport.

Sincerely
Manny99

Hi Melvyn,
My name is Peter, born & bred in London, I retired to the Philippines 11 years ago and I live in Silang, Cavite, just one hour by car from Manila airport.
It's no problem arriving here; you will not need a Visa beforehand. When you arrive at Manila airport immigration will stamp your passport allowing you to stay for 30 days, during which time you need to go to the main Immigration office in Manila. You will then be able to officially extend your stay ‘for a periods of time' depending on your circumstances. Above all don't worry, you will not be asked to leave the country, the government needs your money, they will be happy for you to stay and get married, build a house, buy a car etc, etc, utopia for the vat man!
I have a great deal of important information on my website, but I'm very new to blogging and I believe the rules are people cannot publicly detail their domain name, so I suggest you email me and we can correspond more privately by email.        [email protected]

Please email me your URL WintergolfinPI. Thanks. bs200856(at)yahoo.com.

Hi Melvyn,
My name is Peter, born & bred in London, I retired to the Philippines 11 years ago and I live in Silang, Cavite, just one hour by car from Manila airport. I did reply previously but you received so many replies I guess mine was overlooked. If you want to learn more about me I suggest you Google:- Peter Shanks UK PGA Golf Professional 1960... Or Google:- Winter Golf In The Philippines 
It's no problem arriving here; you will not need a Visa beforehand. When you arrive at Manila airport immigration will stamp your passport allowing you to stay for 30 days, during which time you need to go to the main Immigration office in Manila. You will then be able to officially extend your stay ‘for a periods of time' depending on your circumstances. Above all don't worry, you will not be asked to leave the country, the government needs your money, they will be happy for you to stay and get married, build a house, buy a car etc, etc, utopia for the vat man!
I have a great deal of important information on my website, but I'm very new to blogging and I believe the rules are people cannot publicly detail their domain name, so I suggest you email me and we can correspond more privately by email. You will find my email address within my profile.    [email protected]

Hi Jason,

To find out more about me I suggest you Google:- Peter Shanks UK PGA Golf Professional 1960   or    Winter Golf In The Philippines     Either should lead you to my URL, since as a new member I believe the rules are members are not allowed to give out details of any web site they may own,

Or email me using your personal email and we can talk direct. Whatever you feel comfortable with Jason. Regards.Peter

I moved to philippines 8 years ago from the UK. Once you are married you can apply for non quota marriage visa.this you get for 1 year probationary then after it is permanent. Only the air card you renew yearly at $50. You can live really well on 60 thousand pesos monthly anywhere here. Better to rent before you buy that way you can suss out the best area for you.