Looking for the perfect city...

Hello everyone!
I am in the process of getting certification as a Teacher of English as a foreign language, have been studying Chinese for 4 years, and am planning to find a job and move to China for the beginning of the September term, 2015.

I am looking for the perfect city:
1. preferably not a 'big city', 8 million inhabitants. Much, much smaller if possible.
2. as little pollution as possible
3. with a varied natural environment for trekking (and possibly cultural sights) within a couple of hours by public transport. This is essential.

Could anyone that knows of such a place point me to it? Or describe the city you are in, so I can take it into consideration?

Thanks for your help!

Hello xiao ming elena,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

While you wait for answers from the other members, I invite you to have a look at the Living in China guide for Expats. It contains some useful informations for all expats wishing to live in China.

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Hi ... I live in Hangzhou for 2.5 years now. I can say that here is like what you are looking for. The Longjing area around West lake is suitable for biking, walking, e.t.c. The city has a population of around 8 million i think and it is very easy to bike around, or use buses. it is also moderately clean, way better than Beijing and Shanghai. Very touristy and high class place for the Chinese specifically.

It would be a good idea to check their government's rules regarding ESL teaching.
Many countries only accept native speakers of English from a very short list of countries.
Commonly The UK, the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

You would be well advised to check if China enforces rules of this nature.

As a Chinese local, I think Shanghai will be the best choice, because Shanghai has the largest amount of foreigners, it will be easier for yu to find a english teaching job and easy life here.But if you can speak Chinese, there will be some more choices. Good luck!

I have only just seen your post... so you probably have found your preferred city...if not...pleases look at Nanjing...and also Chongqing.... both so very different to each other...both very beautiful...and both have the things you are looking for...
James

Thank you everyone! I'll be somewhere between Hangzhou and Shanghai, very happy about it!
:-)