Permanencia through União Estável

Hi All,

I am currently going through this process and wanted to share my experience in the hopes it will help others.  This details a process for a foreigner to gain residency through União Estável, and applies to both same-sex and heterosexual couples.  União Estável can be interpreted as Common Law Marriage, Stable Union or Domestic Partnership, depending on who you ask.

This is a summary of what I have learned and experienced so far, and is in no way the final word on the process.  As with any other process in Brasil, your results will vary.
First, the official resolution, from 2008, that defines the process:  http://portal.mte.gov.br/data/files/FF8 … 202008.pdf

That should be your main guide.  The following is a rough translation of the required documents, accompanied by some additional thoughts.

THE RESOLUTION

Article 2 – The proof of the Stable Union may be made by one of the following:
I.    A stable union certificate issued by a government agency in the home country of the applicant, or
II.    Proof of stable union issued by a competent court or authority in Brasil or a corresponding foreign authority.

Article 3 – In the absence of the documents referred to in Article 2, the proof of a stable union may be made upon presentation of:
I.    Certificate or similar document issued by the national civil registration authority (Cartorio), or foreign equivalent.
II.    Statement, under penalty of law, by two people who can prove the existence of the stable union, and
III.    At least two of the following documents:
a.    Evidence of dependence issued by the tax authority or agency corresponding to the Receita Federal;
b.    Religious marriage certificate;
c.    A will that proves the relationship;
d.    A life insurance policy that has one of the parties as the insured and the other as beneficiary.
e.    The deed of purchase and sale, registered with the Registro de Propriedade de Imóveis, in which the interested parties appear as owners or renters of the property.
f.    Join bank account

For the purposes of paragraphs “b” through “f” of Section III, the documents must be at least one year old.  This requirement is easily the most common mistake.  If it has to be one year old, it has to be at least one year old.  Many people have applied thinking they can get around this, and they fail. 

Article 4 – The requestor must also submit:
I.    A request including a history of the relationship (written by the Brasilian partner)
II.    A deed of commitment to the maintenance, subsistence and exit of the national territory, when necessary, in favor of the applicant, made at a Cartorio (they will know what you're looking for when you ask for it in Portuguese).
III.    Proof of means of subsistence of the claimant or the foreigner, with sources in Brazil or abroad, sufficient for the maintenance and survival of both, or a contract for regular work, scholarship subsidies, or other lawful means.  Generally, this is a copy of your partners wage slips, employment contract, and/or work book.
IV.    Certified copy of your partner's ID Card (made at a cartorio)
V.    Certified copy of your Passport (every page – even the blank ones, made at the Cartorio). 
VI.    A criminal background check, issued by the government of the applicant's country of residence.  This must be less than 90 days old.  I got mine through the FBI, instructions here http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks.  This took me about 8 weeks, so plan ahead.  Also, this will have to be certified by the Brasilian Consulate in the issuing jurisdiction, and then translated in Brasil.  As far as timing, this is usually the most difficult.
VII.    Proof of payment of the individual immigration tax.  You can find the fee here:  http://www.dpf.gov.br/ under the GRU section.  You can generate a print-out here, or I think you can get it from the PF.  This can be paid at any bank.  For me in Rio, it was R$102.
VIII.    Declaration, under penalty of law, of the applicant's civil status in their country of origin.  I did this at the Cartorio, but others have had their embassy issue something.  I also think there's a form the PF can provide you with, that you'll then have to sign at a Cartorio.

(My favorite part)  At the discretion of a competent authority, other documents may be requested.

Article 5 – Documents issued abroad must be legalized by the Brazilian Consulate in the country of origin.   For US residents, there are several consulates, each covering a different region.  What's important is that you send your documents to the appropriate consulate for where your document originated.  My stable union certificate was issued in Denver, so that had to be sent to Houston.  My FBI background check was from Washington DC, so that had to go to the consulate in DC. 

Also, only documents issued by a government entity can be directly certified by the consulate.  If it has a non-government origin (bank account, rental contract, life insurance policy, etc), you will want to have it notarized first – then the consulate should be able to certify it for you.  A notary will think it's odd that you want to notarize your bank statement, but that seems to be what works.  Just be aware that you'll still have to have these documents translated, which can get expensive, so choose wisely.

Also, if in a foreign language, all documents must be translated by a certified translator in Brasil.  To find one, you can Google “Junta Comercial” and the name of the state you're looking for, they usually list sworn translators on their website.  Some results:
SP: http://www.jucesp.fazenda.sp.gov.br/dow … pretes.xls
RJ: http://www.jucerja.rj.gov.br/Servicos/T … idioma.asp
MG: http://www.jucemg.mg.gov.br/ibr/informa … nterpretes

Article 6 – If necessary, the Conselho Nacional de Imigração may request the Ministério da Justiça to carry out further inqueries. – More potential for other random document requests.  Also, I think this is the basis for the home visit.

Article 7 – In the case of a permanent visa or residency permit, the foreigner remains bound by the terms of the union for a period of two years.

You will also need to submit 2 3x4 passport photos of yourself, and one of your partner.

I also had to fill out a Form 334, which I got from the PF.

TO APPLY

You basically have two options, each with their pros and cons.
1) Apply directly to the MTE – their mailing address:
Conselho Nacional de imigração
Esplanada dos Ministérios - Bloco “F”, Ed. Anexo, 2º andar, Sala 278-B
Brasília – DF / CEP: 70059-900
Fones: (61) 3317-6655/3317-6461 - Fax (61) 3317-8276

Pros:
•    The process is generally faster
•    You can apply from inside or outside of Brasil
Cons:
•    Your current visa does not get extended to allow you to stay legally inside Brasil during the process.
•    You will have to collect your visa from a consulate outside Brasil (this could be a pro to some).
•    I chose the other option, so you may want to do some additional research before applying.

2) Apply at the Federal Police – they will collect all the required documents and then forward them to the MTE.  As part of this process, they will perform a surprise home visit, as well as issue a temporary visa so you can stay in the country legally during the entire process.  This is the option I chose.
Pros:
•    You get to stay in the country for the length of the process.  You are even allowed to leave the country, but not for longer than 90 days.  If you will be away from your home, or outside the country, it is important you contact them ahead of time.  You don't want to miss your home visit.
•    You do not have to leave the country to collect your Visa.
•    Some people have had success in obtaining the right to work legally.
Cons:
•    The process takes longer.
•    You may end up with a false sense of security, as they may accept documents that the MTE finds insufficient. 
•    You will probably waste a day waiting in line to get a number, then waiting for your number to get called…. But hey, you should be used to that by now.

AFTER APPLYING
If you go through the Policia Federal, you will be given a Protocolo with a number and your picture on it.  With this, you may track the progress of your application online at :
www.mj.gov.br – select Estrangeiros and then Consulta a Processos. It will take several weeks for this to show up.

Once it arrives at the MTE, the website is
http://migranteweb.mte.gov.br/migrantew … cesso.seam

I think both sites are Internet Explorer only – if you have a newer version of IE, you may have to try “compatibility view”.

FINAL THOUGHTS
You'll notice Articles 2 and 3 lay out three different methods for proving the Stable Union.  Without question, the first two options (Both in Article 2) have the most success.  The third option (Article 3), while viable, is submitted to additional scrutiny as it's considered the easiest option.  If you go that route, be absolutely sure the relevant documents meet the 1 year age requirement.

If you can get a Stable Union or Domestic Partnership registered in your home country, it will be the easiest and cheapest.  You will then only need to have that certified by the Brasilian Consulate in your home country, and then translated here.

Having your union registered by a court will require you to hire a lawyer, and will cost you more money, but many have preferred this route as it's more of a sure thing.

Based on anecdotal evidence, recent applications through the MTE have taken as little as 4 months.  Recent applications through the PF have taken 6 months to a year.

If your application is initially rejected, you will be given 30 days to provide additional documentation.  If that is not enough time, some people have had success requesting an additional 30 days.

Although this process does not explicitly require it, this is a good time to get your Birth Certificate certified and translated.  If you don't need it for this - and you might - you will eventually need it.

That's all I have.  Boa sorte!
Chris

Thanks!!!

Chris,

A big thanks for this. It's good to know someone else is following the same process.

My application was placed with the Policia Federal in Rio de Janeiro airport and I am now waiting for it to appear online at www.mj.gov.br.

After checking the website daily, I have been greeted with the 'Departamento de Estrangeiros' heading but nothing else so assumed the Protocol was not registered. Since using Internet Explorer I now get "Registro não encontrado" - fortunately the Protocol really wasn't there !!

Can you confirm how you entered the Protocol number? Should I use dots and '/'s and the first 0 ?

Working in Brazil with the Temporary Visa based on União Estável - RN77

Along with the slip of paper giving me 180 days' stay in Brazil, I was given a sheet of A4 paper by the Policia Federal, with my Visa process Protocol number on it. I took this to the Ministerio de Justica (another desk at the Policia Federal). The Ministerio de Justica took a copy of this sheet and asked me to come back in a week so that they could enter my Protocol number into their system. I would then receive a Certificate to take to the Ministerio do Trabalho in Rio.
After I week I collected the Certificate from the MdJ and went to the MdT. Foreigners have to go to the main building in Rua Antônio Carlos.

Unfortunately the staff in this MdT office told me I didn't qualify to work as my Temporary Visa was based on União Estável RN77. If I was married I could qualify. I am looking for some kind of proof or statement on a government website that explicitly says I can work with my Temporary Visa but I have so far found nothing.

A solicitor has told me that it is possible to work with this type of Temporary Visa. However she is based in São Paulo. I'll ask her if she can send me something I can take to the MdT in Rio...

Rob

Hello and thanks for this post. However I didn't understand it totally. Is this for the recognition of a união estável before the couple is actually already landed in brazil?
I'm moving in with my Brazilian boyfriend next month. We're going to get our contract notarized which should then grant me the 2 year permanent visa. Correct?

Hi,
my experiece was bad.

Brazilian police not recognize my "Uniao Estavel" because was ....brazilian notarized!!!

hasrd to understand...

You need to have FOREIGN DOCS with Uniáo estavel recognition.....if other country recognize your Uniao estavel, Brazilian police recognize, and start the process, because canŽt doubt about foreign document...canŽt doubt about FOREIGN DECISION.

but if you do the Uniao estavel in Brazil, is the "Ministerio" the institution who analize if recogn or not the uniao estavel.

This take more time, and MORE BUREACRACY.

solution: NEED TO COME TO BRAZIL WITH FOREUGN DOCUMENT RECOGN UNIAO ESTAVEL (or similar) oficially  translated to portuguese (all docs)  except if you are in mercosur area.

good luck!

Hi Saudades,

The process and the documents required (as well as the consular legalization they must go through) is the same whether you apply for the Permanent Visa based on a Stable Union from outside of Brazil or in the country.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

wjwoodward wrote:

Hi Saudades,

The process and the documents required (as well as the consular legalization they must go through) is the same whether you apply for the Permanent Visa based on a Stable Union from outside of Brazil or in the country.

Cheers,

Ok, that's clearer, thanks. So since neither of us have ever been in any such relations before in neither of the coutries then we do not have to legalize anything, just have recognition of the one we are going to be signing.

Another thing, is the duration of such visa through união estável exactly at 2 full years from date of issue?

Thanks!

Saudades,

I'm not sure that you're understanding the information.

In order to apply for a Stable Union Permanent Visa you must be able to prove that you have lived together and publicly, as a couple, for a minimum period of one year. This must be through production of documentary evidence, documents acceptable are those indicated above, bearing in mind that anything written in any other language than Portuguese must be translated into Portuguese by a notarized translator and then "legalized" by the Brazilian Consulate in the country of issue.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding you might have.

Cheers,

No, I'm sorry this still leaves doubts.

In my case we never lived together. We were under the impression that once i move in, we sign the contract, then get it notarized. Once it s notarized we intended to ask for an extension into 2 year visa (visto do namoro) for me. If you're saying that we must have been under the contract for one year, then I will have to keep asking for an extension of my tourist 90 day visa each time at the policia.

Thank you so much for reading me.

Rgds

Any takes on this one, anyone?

Saudades,

To be acceptable for permanency process the union must have already been in existence for one year (minimum). Since the stable union (done in the cartório) is the same as a civil marriage as far as legal rights and obligations, why don't you just get married? Then you can apply for permanency right away.

There is no such thing as a "visto de namoro", don't know where you got that idea from. What commonly gets called that is the Stable Union Visa and as you now know a stable union by definition is one where you and your partner have lived togeter for at least one year.

If you are a citizen of Malta and travel on a Maltese passport you are exempt from applying for a Tourist Visa (Schengen Area Agreement with Brazil) and you just get you passport stamped upon arrival. The problem now for you is that ONLY PERMITS you to be in Brazil for 3 months in any six month period. Essentially you could be in Brazil 3, out 3, in 3 and out 3. You cannot extend the three months.

Even if you did have a tourist visa it is only valid for 180 days (max.) in any "rolling" one year time block. Once you've used up all of them you must be outside of Brazil for a year before you're entitled to another 180 day stay, so that won't fit into your plans either.

Looks like both you and your partner don't have a good understanding of the immigration process for Brazil and have taken on this thing with little advice or information from others. I'd suggest you get some help before you actually come here and then wind up having to go back home after six months.

Cheers,

Oh!
I had read these...
- grovercalderon.blogspot.com/2008/03/visto-para-estrangeiro-que-estiver.html

oestrangeiro.org/2012/08/25/visto-de-namoro/

They don't mention the one year requirement.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Asked to be removed by the initiator for personal reasons

Hi pduby,

You DO NOT need to translate the documents before submitting them to the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the issuing country for legalization. The process of legalization itself only certifies that the documents are GENUINE documents issued by that nation. In fact in the Consular letter that accompanies them on return it is clearly stated that even the act of legalization does not in any way indicate "acceptance" of those documents. More bureaucratic BS!!!

Yes, the translation must be done here in Brazil by a "Tradutor Juramentado". That's what the law requires without exception. Unlike most other countries that accept "simple" translation by anyone fluent in both languages provided that they sign an Affidavit stating that they are fluent and have translated the document accurately. Still more bureaucratic BS!!!

As if all of that isn't enough to have you tearing your hair out, don't forget that all of those documents can't have been issued more than 6 months prior to submission to the Cartório in case of marriage or to the Consulado-Geral in case of legalization and 90 days if you're talking about a Certified Criminal Record Check. Once legalized a document retains its validity (in theory) forever, but other than that if it's older than 6 months it's just a pretty piece of paper.

The situation regarding "União Estável" in Brazil is that the relationship (either here or abroad) must have existed PUBLICLY for a period of at least one year. That must be proved by documents and witnesses. Some of the documents that are acceptable as proof of the union are; joint bank accounts, purchase agreements or rental contracts for property in both names, insurance policies that name one party as insured and the other as beneficiary, civil union documentation issued by some foreign nation, etc. All of these documents MUST BE at least one year old.

I hope this information helps you sort things out a little better. If you need more information just ask.

Regarding the documents that prove the relationship you only need two of all those listed. In the event you cannot provide both you may also present notarized (and translated) declarations or Affidavits from two witnesses (not family members) stating that they have knowledge of you and your partner living together, publicly in a conjugal relationship for at least a year.

The GRU mentioned it the fee for the application with MTE or Policia Federal "Pedido de Permanência Definitiva com base em união estável" Código 140066 - R$102,00.

The Declaração Sob Pena da Lei about your marital status back home is just a standard form that they will provide you to fill out in which you swear that you were single/divorced/widowed and therefore had no impediment to marriage or civil union. You will need to have your signature authenticated (reconhecimento da firma por autenticidade) on this document at the Cartório, so you will need to "abrir firma" i.e. register your signature at the Cartório in order to do this.

Actually if you can come back to Brazil on your VITUR Tourist Visa, before the baby is born.......

NONE OF THIS WILL BE NECESSARY

Since you will then be able to apply for your VIPER Permanent Visa based on having a Brazilian child. It is the only GUARANTEED route to permanency that exists too!

The Declaration Sob Pena da Lei, should be able to be done anywhere in the world. The only thing you need to do is write it in Portuguese and have your signature witnessed by two people and you must submit it to the Brazilian Embassy or Consulate in Australia.

Hi all,

Referring to this section of the very helpful original post by e_quilibrium:

Article 2 – The proof of the Stable Union may be made by one of the following:
I.    A stable union certificate issued by a government agency in the home country of the applicant, or
II.    Proof of stable union issued by a competent court or authority in Brasil or a corresponding foreign authority.

Article 3 – In the absence of the documents referred to in Article 2, the proof of a stable union may be made upon presentation of:
I.    Certificate or similar document issued by the national civil registration authority (Cartorio), or foreign equivalent

This guidance is conflicted with official information published by the Brazilian consulates in English. Can anybody confirm that a cartorio document fits under Art 3.I (national civil registration authority) and not under Art 2.II (competent court or authority)? See the following link where the consulate says that a cartorio document actually would classify under Art 2.II:
Consulate_Permanent residence visa - stable union (VIPER) (cglondres.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/permanent_residence_visa_-_stable_union_%28viper%29.xml)

I have also read the Portuguese original too, which does not mention or clarify which one refers to cartorio docuement.

In short, which item does my cartorio certificate of união estavel count as?

Note: I am a UK citizen who has recently signed a União Estavel document with my Brazilian partner at a cartorio in Brazil.

Many many thanks for any help here.

I'm not sure of the technical stuff, but before anything else I just want to make you aware that unless the "union" is at least one year old it is not even going to be considered for permanency in Brazil.

If the Stable Union Agreement is that old and signed in Brazil that's all you need.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks! But please could you clarify your source for this information?

The document that lists the criteria for permanency through união estável (Resolução normativa No.77, see link in original post) at no point says that the two options under Art.2 need to be one year old.

By definition a stable union is one in which two people (regardless of gender) live together, openly and publicly, as a family unit for a continuous period of one year. One cannot request Permanência Definitiva com base em relação estável unless their relationship has existed for a minimum of one year. This is why all the documents required to prove the existence of the stable union must be one year old.

Please re-read the very first posting on this topic thread, the last paragraph (notation) of Article 3, that is EXACTLY how it works for immigration purposes to request permanency in Brazil. They simply will not even accept applications from individuals whose relationships have not existed for at least one year prior to applying.

Cheers,
James        Expat-blog Experts Team

James,

First thanks for the time in replying, it's appreciated although I'm going to debate you're reply a little ok?

So I re-read as per your advice but on all documents (the original post, official legal doc in Portuguese, consulate guidance) the only situation that a 1 year requirement is stated is if you can not follow the paths defined by option I or II of Art 1. And subsequently have to pursue the visa via Art 3 which requires a one year minimum.

Where exactly are you extracting your definition of união estável from?

Again, thanks for your engagement in this dialogue.

This is exactly the definition that the Federal Police and Conselho Nacional de Imigrações - CNig use in relation to a stable union. You cannot by this definition have a "stable" union if it is brand new. How then could you show "stability". It is NOT like a marriage, in that it carries with it certain immediate legal rights. Try and get "matrimonial rights" for any common-law relationship in any nation, and you will find that there is, again by definition, an imposed minimum time duration of 6 months to 2 years (depending upon the nation) for those rights to take effect. In Brazil, like many other countries, that minimum time period is 1 year.

Permanência Definitiva com base em relação estável IS NOT intended and never will be, to take the place of permanency based on (legal) marriage. It is merely a recognition of most of the same conjugal rights as marriages, for (common-law) relationships that have been in existence for a minimum period of one year. You cannot enter into such a common-law relationship one day and apply for permanency based on that relationship the next day, it just does not work that way. I'm sorry if you do not clearly understand the process as explained, but that is exactly the way it works. Unless your relationship has been in place for at least one year, at least here in Brazil, you are never going to be considered for permanency. Just ask the Federal Police, they're the ones you will be applying to, they will tell you exactly the same as you've been told here.

The mere fact that the documents you need to provide to "prove" the stable relationship must be one year old, should clearly indicate this... they are that way for no other purpose than their probative value to establish that the relationship has been in place for that required 1 year period.

Debating it or seeking any official source for the required 1 year period will serve nothing. Just go ask the Federal Police if you can apply for permanency if you've lived with a Brazilian for 6 months... simple as that. They will tell you exactly what you've been told here. NO WAY!!!

Cheers,
James

If you read Resolução Normativa 77, while it is not stated explicitly in the text the documents in Art. 2 also must be one year old, that is understood. This is the motivating reason that ALL of the other probative documents listed in Art. 2 MOST be one year old.

Thanks for the diligent response James.

In my case our Cartorio certificate in only 2 months old but on that document our union is declared to be over a year old.

Despite being together for over a year it is difficult to obtain the 1 year minimum documents required under Art. 3.

Which brings me back to my original question:

Which article does a Cartorio union categorise under? The original forum post conflicts with the consulate information. If this question doesn't make sense you can refer back to my original post with the details.

If you are unable to explain this then no worries, I appreciate the help up until now and will return to the forum to share my findings in due course.

You should not need any of the other documents listed. They are only alternative documents to be provided is there is no ability to provide the documents listed in Art. 2.

If the Stable Union certificate you have from the Cartório states that you've been together for one year then you're good to go!!!

You can apply for permanency absent the other documents.

Hi James

Just returning here to report on my meeting with PF this week. The whole procedure from start to finish was Brasil in microcosm. Nobody knows what they are talking about, rules are made up on the hoof, etc., etc.  I may come back to that in detail later.

What caught my eye here in your correspondence with Belchior was the phrase " if you have your stable union certificate, you are good to go."  I had always assumed that just the certificate was not enough, incorrectly it would seem, and I had prepared all the other documents ! 

Because my business investment visa was still undecided (the process and documents had gone from Fortaleza to Rio Grande do Norte and nobody knew why !!), I did not start the stable union process and am intending to wait until the business visa is resolved.

I see from the list of documents required on the PF site the requirement for....

Comprovação de união estável emitido por juízo competente no Brasil

Does the uniao estavel registered in the Cartorios satisfy this requirement ?

Also, regarding my police certificate, I would like to confirm the period of validity. I think I read a post on here from you stating that the 90 days stops running when it is is stamped by the Consulate in London, and then it remains good. Is that so ?  It was stamped by the Consulate after 43 days, but now is 80 days old since it's issue by the Metroplitan Police.

Regards

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

As far as I know they do meet the requirement. Since the Cartórios are actually owned by a judge and he/she has the authority to perform civil marriages I can assure you that they also have the authority to issue proof of a "União estável".

Regarding the Criminal Record Check, you are correct; the 90 days only applies to the interval between it being issued and "legalized" by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil, which one caveat which is that you can't remain there too long after that point because they'd likely want another in that case. Mine in fact was actually submitted to the Policia Federal some 4 years or so after issue and legalization, but since I had been in Brazil all that time they accepted it without question. They did however request a Brazilian check for the 5 years that I had been in Brazil.

It is likely that they won't even ask you for a Criminal Record Check anyway, especially if you have no record at all. They will have you sign a notarized "Declaração Sob Pena da Lei de Bons Antecedents". If they ask for that, they will provide you with the fill-in form which you will fill out and then have your signature notarized at the Cartório. NOTE: When dealing with the Federal Police any notarized signatures MUST be "Reconhecimento da firma por autenticidade" only, they will not accept the cheaper "por semelhança" (likeness).

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to continue with your application for the check and get it legalized anyway, just in case the Feds here want it anyway.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James
No, the police check is already done, but is coming to the end of 90 days since it was issued in the UK.
On the subject of the type of reconhecimento, I was aware that it has to be for autenticade. The first Cartorio I took my witness to (where she had a signature registered), could not do it because the person was on holiday, but assured us that the Cartorio across the road would not need to register a signature as the declaration was being signed in front of him with full ID. As you might guess, the other Cartorio insisted on a signature being registered, and also wanted to make the declaration "publica", i.e registered in the cartorio's books, with my wife and I also needing to sign it. Anything to boost up the fees !!!!
Also the Cartorio where I copied my passport insisted that I did not need to copy the blank pages. Fortunately, I have already done this several times, so knew better. Finally, knowing that I would have trouble registering a new signature for myself as my visa extension has run out, I went to a Cartorio where I have a signature registered to sign my declarations.  They would not accept it without renewing the registration of my signature. OK, let's do that, I said. No we can't, because you don't have a valid visa !!

Yet another frustrating day in Brasil !!!

Regards
Leslie

Thanks for sapoting

I thought I would write a quick note on this topic. My permanency took two years, including home visit. It was also published in the change over last September and in fact we had gone over the 90 days. However having said that the FP were very helpful and everything was done. You just need to be patient in the queue if you have no appointment. But go early to avoid disappointment. We have gone before at 6am and just waited. My permanency card came through within 40 days and I was sent an email to say it was ready.

Thank you for that. I have now abandoned the process of my permanent visa based on investment, and have an appointment next week to make the application based on união estável. From what I understand this should all be dealt with on the day under the new procedure.

Am I right in thinking there is no longer a home visit ?  I seem to remember reading that here. And if so, is there a period after which I would keep the visa even if the relationship ended ?
Thanks to anyone who can help
Leslie

If someone can help me with those last two questions I should be very grateful.

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

You are correct there is no longer a home visit done by the Policia Federal under the new procedures.

Unless your partner makes a specific complaint to the Policia Federal and informs them the relationship no longer exists, it is unlikely that there will be any problem with your permanency.

That said, you may need to enlist her help (or at least silence) when it comes time to renew your registration and CIE the next time.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James
Would that be in 5 years time ?
Leslie

Anywhere from 5 - 9 years depending on what they give you to start out with.

Thanks again for everything,
James