Considering a move to Treviso - where to find resources for expats?

Hi.  I'm considering a move to Treviso.  Do you know of any online sites that provides resources for expats?  Thanks.

The only one I know about is this - internations.org/

There are many members in Florence (are you still there?). If you join up you could meet some expats there - internations.org/italy-expats/guide

Hi jackster,

Can you give us some more details about the kind of information you are looking for, this might help us to guide you.

Regards,

David.

Hi David.  I currently live in Firenze and am considering moving to Treviso.  I am interested in knowing if there is any kind of support group(s) for foreigners, i.e., activities, clubs, newsletters, websites, etc.  My knowledge of the language is still very basic, so I'm also interested in language schools and/or availability of Italian mother-tongue tutors.  Basically, any info about life in Treviso would be of great help.  I am a retired U.S. citizen, thus employment opportunities are not of a concern to me.  Thanks much.

Hi Micheal.  Yes, I still live in Florence and know about Internations.  I didn't find much regarding Treviso on their website, but I'll have another look.  Thanks.

Hi jackster,

There aren't any activities, clubs, newsletters or websites specifically for expats that I know of. I've been here for four months so far this time (plus several trips in the past) and I have never come across anything specific for expats. I rarely even hear English spoken in the streets or meet other Australians (like me). Treviso hasn't really been discovered by foreign tourists (except Germans and the Dutch) which is one of the good things about the place. The character of the place has changed over the last decade or so with i crisi (lots of shops and offices empty and apartments for rent cheap) and the arrival of Africans and a few Albanians etc. They don't integrate well and there is some underlying hostility towards them locally. The Lega Nord (The Northern League - right wing party) is pretty strong here. Despite all that there is still a lot of life here.

The only private school teaching Italian that I know of in Treviso is E.STI.VE. They are right in the heart of town (the centro storico/old part of town). It's a small school but someone I know who has studied there spoke highly of them. Internations doesn't have a group in Treviso so you won't find much on their site about Treviso.

Are you looking to live here? If you're on a budget, a good place to stay when you arrive to give you time to get your bearings is the Centro della Famiglia in Via San Nicolo' opposite the basilica. It's essentially a big BnB/hostel run by the Catholic church - very clean, very well run and also in the old part of town. Monthly rates for a single room with your own private bathroom (not necessarily in your room but on the same floor at least) was 450Euro. I stayed there for six weeks while I was looking for an apartment. There are plenty of other BnB's in town as well as just outside the old city. I know the guy who owns Madame Upstairs in town. It's a bit more expensive and very central - near the Duomo.

Treviso is a totally walkable town (the centro storico that is - inside the old Venetian walls). A cousin told me that it was recently voted the fourth most beautiful town in Italy but I haven't been able to verify that. It really is quite lovely.
I could go on.

Thanks, Michael.  Yes, I am considering living in Treviso.  I've been there several times and find it to be a lovely place.  I am tiring of the congestion and expense of Firenze.  I plan to live in Italy for quite a few years and want to make, hopefully, only one move.  Thus, I am trying to determine what life as an expat would be like in a place BEFORE I move there.  Your comments have been very informative.  I have very limited language abilities at this point, so language study is paramount.  Firenze is a very difficult place to establish friendships as the locals aren't very receptive to foreigners.  It is also a bit more difficult at my age (nearing 60 and female) as married women are very focused on family and there doesn't seem to be much going on in the social arena for older singles.  I miss going to a blues club to have a drink, listen to live music, and striking up a conversation with whomever is in ear range!  Most of the entertainment in Firenze is focused on the university crowd, in which I obviously do not fit.  lol  I will be making another trip to Treviso within the next few months, so perhaps we can connect up then and talk about life there a bit more.  Again, thanks for your reply!  I hope you continue to enjoy life in Treviso.

Thanks jackster. I'll look around for some live music venues and maybe ask my relatives. None that I know of in the old city. Live music does happen but not that regularly. If you would like my number before you arrive let me know. Oh, I just remembered ... I have a very lovely friend from Australia who lives just outside of Florence. She would be a good person to get in touch with. Wondering how I could get her details to you privately ..... She works as a local host for Quintesse luxury accommodation. I could ask her if I can send you her work# if you like.

Cheers

Hi Michael.  I'll send my cell number via PM to you.  Thanks much.