Moving to italy

Ciao tutti!

I am a retired female teacher and am thinking of spending about 2 months in Italy next year, if possible. I have been looking at rentals on various websites but am reluctant to book an apartment when I don't know how trustworthy and reliable the sites are. I would prefer to move to Calabria or Sicily. (I want to be near the sea!) What I have read so far about Calabria gives me some concern about how easy it would be to live there by myself. While I am learning Italian online and have made good progress, it's not really the same as communicating with 'real' people. I don't have an appointment for citizenship till the end of 2024!

If there is anyone in the Palermo region or near Tropea in Calabria, would you pass on any info you have about realtors in your area. Grazie. Denise

@dtognarelli2

Hi Denise,

If I were you, I would think twice before moving to Calabria or Sicily. They are both very beautiful to visit or two spend a couple of months, but living there on permanent basis is an other story. Italy is a very difficult country to live in, especially if you are used to the US. Things work very different over there and as far as efficiency goes, the South  is notorious for been a part of the country where things do not work.Also,  as you get older, you might want to choose the center/northern part of Italy where hospitals are much better than in the south. People who are in need of serious surgeries and can afford it, travel all the way to the North from Calabria.... that should tell you something.  Lots of nice places on the water in Italy and much better organized.

Good luck!

If you are looking for a two month rental, a realtor will not be able to help.  You are stuck with tourist rental contracts, which 95% of realtors do not do, because of the need to register contracts and the costs involved.   Contracts here are for a year or more.