Moving to Abruzzo

Hi everybody,

We are looking at the possibility to move to Abruzzo. We are a family of five with 3 children so our main concern are the schools.

The intenion is to rent a house, so we can take a look at the properties and buy a prefabbricated house. We would love to be in between the mountains and the sea ( Teramo, penne, bisanti etc.). Can somebody suggest good schools around these areas or other good schools in general in Abruzzo? We are a little bit afraid of potential earthquakes, are the schools built to last potential catastrophes?

-Marco

Hi Marco,

I Come from Liège, in Belgium, but i bought an appartement last year in Abruzzo, specifically in Loreto Aprutino.

Our choice was also the proximity to the sea and the mountains,

As far as earthquakes are concerned, there haven't been any for several months, and small tremors, I haven't felt any during my multiple stays there, one or two weekends a month and the July and August...

As far as schools are concerned, I would ask my acquaintances on the spot, two are teachers...

I will be very happy to meet you in Abruzzo...we will be there from July 7th to August 24th..

nice to meet maybe

Jean-Marc

Hi Jean and thanks for the quick reply.

I need to google Loreto Aprutino  as i am not familiar with the zones, but it seems like the location should be just what we are looking for. EDIT: so its right next to penne so a perfect location.

We are planning to come visit my relatives in Rome 27 of August up until 14 September so unfortunately our vacation will not collide with yours. If you can ask your aquitances i would appreciate it greatly. As for now we have no idea or knowledge on the schools so any help is great.

Assuming you can come and live in Italy with no problem I would say this:

Schools are not built well.  The Aquila earthquake caused the deaths of many students, because their hall of residence was built so badly.  Schools tend to close when there is a bad weather warning, not because of the problems of getting to and from school but because the authorities are worried that the building might be damaged.  You hear stories pretty regularly of bits of ceiling falling onto classes. 

However, there are lots of funds to bring schools up to scratch.  The trouble is that with public contracts you never know if the work is being done to code.   Obviously there are many schools buildings which are safe and secure, but if your worries are these, avoid any area of high sesimic risk. 

Your house, should you buy one off the peg or build one, must meet all the current seismic standards, and must be built in an area which is not subject to hydrogeoligical problems - water courses, landslide etc, and obviously even if it is a prefab house you must have all relevant permissions.