Parks in Ho Chi Minh City for walking a dog?

My husband and I are relocating for the next year to Ho Chi Minh. We are bringing our 50lb. Rhodesian Ridgeback mix and are curious if there are any places to take her to run or relax, such as a local park? I usually take her for a run every day back home.

To be more specific, we will be living in the Binh Thanh district of the city in a house. Any advice is much appreciated!

Hello TanJoeRoberts, Welcome to Expat.com :),

I just want to inform you that I have moved your discussion to Ho Chi Minh City forum so that you can get accurate responses from the people living in there.

I am sure that other members will get back to you very soon.

Kind Regards,
Yud

(moderated: no ads please + off topic)

In Binh Thanh, you can walk at Le Van Tam on Hai Ba Trung District. Someplace for relax: Binh Quoi, Van Thanh...

some first things,I will share more somethings when I have more information.

The Binh Thanh district is the most populated district in Ho Chi Minh City.  There are not any parks large enough to walk a dog within the district.  Contact a local realtor via email.  They would know where most people go to walk their dogs.

When you come over let me know how the transport of your pet went.  I wanted to bring my dog over, but circumstances allowed me to leave her with my brother and his dog.

@ATLoffroad,

Circumstances forced us to leave our dog behind too with family but we are still bringing an indoor cat, so I will let you know how it goes! We have been told it should be fairly easy depending on the size of the animal.

I actually think we will be neighbors and my husband your co-worker! Do you like HCMC so far? We are very excited and ready to be there already.

I'm not sure about where to walk one, but be careful with your dog.  Here's a link to a recent discussion:

forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=85474

I'd like to think dog thieves wouldn't mess with a 50 pounder. :D

WideAwake wrote:

I'm not sure about where to walk one, but be careful with your dog.  Here's a link to a recent discussion:

I'd like to think dog thieves wouldn't mess with a 50 pounder. :D

Absolutely agree with u ;) .

TanJoeRoberts, please careful with your dog when you are not only outside, but also at home too. Dog thieves in VN has much experiences. I lost my childhood friend - a nice dog when i wasn't at home :(

I am moving to HJo Chi Minh next month with my 3 dogs - im worried now about dog thieves - particularly for my big black dog.  they will always be on leads outside but surely if i live on the 4th floor they will be ok?

If you live in service apartment, it shouldn't be an issue. For residential houses, you can ask landlord if they do have body guard for the premise. I have two dogs,  they go to school in the morning and so far nothing happen. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply upside down.  Are serviced apartments a lot more expensive, i just want a 1 or 2 bed.  With a terrace for the dogs.  And what do you mean your dogs go to school?

As you can see im a Vietnam virgin.  My best friend lives over there but is dogless and doesnt understand my concerns, having not looked into it like i have and i have no other option for the dogs, except put them back on the street where i found them or euthanise them which i am definitely not willing to do, i cant find good homes for them (I am in Nepal)!  And want them to be with me anywa, i just want to make sure that i am providing the best possible environment that i can for them under the circumstances

WideAwake is Absolutely right.  Please read the link he provided here again:

Believe it or not, this is really bizarre for Western folks.  Dog kidnapping for ransom is on the rise.  The uniform people in the van with a picture of a dog is a state run "Dog Rescue Operation" that they are tasked to rescue abandon dogs for low wage, so they do dog kidnapping on the side for money.  The police are protecting them for a cut.  They typically arrange people to contact you to discuss a price to show you where to pick up your dog then there is another price to have your dog back typically $100 USD.  There are 2 places in HCMC well known to the locals.  The first one is called the "The Dog Detention Center at the 5 way intersection of Go Vap District (translated literarily from Vietnamese "Chuong Cho Nga Nam Go Vap").  The second popular place is on Ly Chinh Thang Street nearby the Democracy Traffic Circle (translated literarily from Vietnamese Ly Chinh Thang o Bun Binh Dan Chu).  These 2 places do ransom in the open and they tend to threaten to send your dog to the zoo to feed wild animals or dog butchers at the Pham Van Hai Market in Tan Binh District.  What they really want is money and don;t care what happens to the dogs.  If they can't get any ransom, they will ultimately sell your dog to the dog market loacated on Le Hong Phong Street (between Nguyen Trai and Hung Vuong Streets).  This place sells dogs kept in small cages clammed with other dogs that usually transmit diseases.  These dog sellers tend to inject drugs to any dogs that appear sick and inactive to make them appear lively and active.  It's a horror but it's reality here in VN.  There are many restaurants with the sign "Cay To" which means dog meat delicacy.  There are always exceptions in this world, but dog mistreatment is a Norm in VN.  Therefore, don't be surprised that the locals get irritated when they see dog being treated better than human beings.  Walking your dog in a leash is considered well treatment and get locals irritated so they tend to support dog kidnapping as a Norm.  I walk my dog on the streets only late at night like after 10:00 PM.  Because by this time, the streets are quiet and most people close their doors and went to sleep by 8:30 to 9:00 in VN.  Having all being said, please be on maximum alert with your surroundings when walking your dog because dog snatching is on the rise in VN and the police are protecting them.  Be sure to read the link that WideAwake provided.

tuyenthanhdt wrote:

In Binh Thanh, you can walk at Le Van Tam on Hai Ba Trung District. Someplace for relax: Binh Quoi, Van Thanh...

some first things,I will share more somethings when I have more information.

Hi, I took my dog for a walk (on leash of course) at Le Van Tam park today and a police looking man in green uniform on a motorbike told me no dogs are allowed in the park. (But I saw a VN couple walking their puppy just 20 mins before.)

Is that true? No dogs are allowed in the park?

[message moderated: No advertising on the forum please]

http://scraggsthedog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/look-a-right-handful.jpg

It's really true?Something funny or important things on this topic.More details: cs-apartments.co.uk/

TanJoeRoberts wrote:

My husband and I are relocating for the next year to Ho Chi Minh. We are bringing our 50lb. Rhodesian Ridgeback mix and are curious if there are any places to take her to run or relax, such as a local park? I usually take her for a run every day back home.

To be more specific, we will be living in the Binh Thanh district of the city in a house. Any advice is much appreciated!

What's your opinion on dog faeces?
I bet 50lb of a Rhodesian Ridgeback has a lot of leavings?
In VN there are no clean up rules. So unless the footpath is swept by the owner,your morning walk is similar to Cannes city or Grasse!

I guess in a park it's ok,but imagine how many students,hawkers and kids roam that park if it ISN'T a dogs only park.
And then who will clean up each mess? You will not have to do it.
I don't own a dog,but I do like bantams.Here is a pic.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/pilbeam_mp62/BSA%20Bantam/Bantam_7_zpsfceb8520.jpg