Vietnamese for expatriates- Free of charge

Hi

I think that ur idea is very great. How it going on ? if yes, pla give me a chance to become ur partner.

awww should have given more notice. I missed it. The full address would be nice too we are all foreigners new to hcm. When is the next class

Dear Hue,

The class started only today. I don't know if they still can accommodate you... no loose to try, contact is below:

Department of Vietnamese Studies - University of Social Sciences & Humanities
10 - 12 Dinh Tien Hoang Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City

Beginner class of Vietnamese lesson started on 25 July 2011

You can contact Ms Xuan Ai, Tel: +84 8 38 225009 who can speak English for know details as class time, admission application form...

You can download the application on the website too.

In my class, there are 10 students including me. It was fun!

Hi Stephanie,
Your plan is really good! I like it so much, because you are helping foreigners understand more about our language, our culture. I wanna be a member of ur group teaching Vietnamese. But, i am having job schedule  strictly, so you can give me ur schedule of ur group for me to consider?

Jasmine Vu wrote:

Hi Stephanie,
Your plan is really good! I like it so much, because you are helping foreigners understand more about our language, our culture. I wanna be a member of ur group teaching Vietnamese. But, i am having job schedule  strictly, so you can give me ur schedule of ur group for me to consider?

May i have it too ? It sounds interesting. I am also teaching. :)

Hello all,

I am in the United States for the summer
but would be interested to join you all
if schedules work out.
will you be meeting again in September?
Please let me know the where's and when's?
I return to HCM on August 23rd.

Brother Donald

Where are you in the US?  I am in the DC area.  I'll be returning to VN a month after you; going thru HCMC to Nha Trang.

Dear btrivo,
I havent received the schedule of Stephanie, therefore y and me cant join it;)

Dear all,

I sincerely apologize for my late reply. Below is just some information about the development of the project.

Our project has been working out really well for the last five months. My cousin is trying to make it more well-organized to develop it into a volunteer club in order that the project can be spread to other expatriates more easily. Meanwhile, our student tutors are starting to revise what we have learnt so far from the classes so as to make a long-term better project for all of you :)
As a matter of fact, it's been rather difficult for us since the textbook doesn't teach us about functional Vietnamese, and our knowledge about functional Vietnamese language is still limited. We've always needed our experienced linguistics instructors in the University to answer your questions about the language :)
We know we need to re-organize our knowledge in a proper way so that you can find it easier to understand and to learn, and that's precisely what we're doing now.

As for Ekrist, I'm glad that you've joined the class in Vietnamese Studies Department. Just give me a buzz if you need a tutor or just someone to practise the language. We're all here to help you ;)

@ALL: If you want to learn the language, or to join our team, please send an email to my cousin - Jessica's address:

[email protected]

She's in charge of this project and will try her best to help you :)

Just remember, the classes are always available because we do provide a one-on-one class, so it's never too late to join us.

Best regards,

Stephanie & Jessica.

Would love to join in the class too. Cam on nhieu...:D:D

What happened to this project? Its been years since the last post. Im interested to learn Viet language.

Hi Cvco - yes indeed this thread is quite old.. try to post an advert in the Language classes in Vietnam section please :)

Are you really an American?  :)

charmavietnam wrote:

Who?

cvco wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

Who?

The man posted after you, but Mod deleted his post already!

cvco wrote:

What happened to this project? Its been years since the last post. Im interested to learn Viet language.

http://ilovevietnameseproject.wordpress.com/

e2bobbie  :)
Unfortunately you couldn't see his post above ( deleted)!

cvco wrote:

Who?

Hi I am currently still living in Michigan and hope to be able soon to move to DaNang. Very extended family there and no English language. I know only one language and do not know it as well as I should.
Question, can you do your lessons on-line??

Robert Can wrote:

Hi I am currently still living in Michigan and hope to be able soon to move to DaNang. Very extended family there and no English language. I know only one language and do not know it as well as I should.

You should check the date of posts you are replying to. The last post on thisthread was 7- years ago.

Robert Can wrote:

Since this thread was started years ago, there is now an app for a smartphone called "Duolingo”:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duolingo

That's the link for Android phones but I believe if you are using an iPhone you will get referred to the proper link for you.

colinoscapee wrote:

You should check the date of posts you are replying to. The last post on thisthread was 7- years ago.

Perhaps this is proof that the search function actually works, at least sometimes.   I don't think that he found this thread by simply scrolling down through seven years of posts.

THIGV wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Perhaps this is proof that the search function actually works, at least sometimes.   I don't think that he found this thread by simply scrolling down through seven years of posts.

Probably found in a Google search.

Sometimes when I'm looking for a post in the archives, I search for keywords and "expat.com"

I will try that part about adding expat.com as it must filter the results.   Maybe one could abandon the internal search function completely.  Did you see my post in the Borax thread?   Similar experience.

Thanks   :top:

I have been using DuoLingo for about 9 months, about 20 mins a day - mainly teaches you hou to read, along with annunciation.  Gives tips when you hover over a word, stresses translating Vietnamese into English and vice versa.  It is free unless you want to sign up for Dueling Plus.  Anyone that wants pure conversation should employ a tutor, nothing better that one on one immersion.   Peace

tunnelrat69 wrote:

I have been using DuoLingo for about 9 months, about 20 mins a day - mainly teaches you hou to read, along with annunciation.  Gives tips when you hover over a word, stresses translating Vietnamese into English and vice versa.  It is free unless you want to sign up for Dueling Plus.  Anyone that wants pure conversation should employ a tutor, nothing better that one on one immersion.   Peace

I decided to opt out of the plus version.

I realized that it simply adds features that turn the application into a game, meant to addict the user to continually use the app for competing with other users, some I'm convinced are bots.

If I can do without that kind of feedback, and I can, then the unpaid features totally meet all of my needs, except as you say, the need for one-to-one communication.

I saw this post a while ago, I couldnt sign up as I wasn't sure how long I'd be staying in HCMC, Now I know I will be here for quite a long time, so please add me to your list, thanks

I saw this post a while ago, I couldnt sign up as I wasn't sure how long I'd be staying in HCMC, Now I know I will be here for quite a long time, so please add me to your list, thanks
-@FaithMendez

The thread author last posted in this thread in 2012...

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=105131#722953