How much to charge per head in English class?

How much on average do students pay per month to go to a language center?  I've heard some sign up for a 10 week course and had to pay around 5 million VND...so like 1 million VND a month for 8 sessions...average like 200,000 VND per session ($10/hour).  This may be on the low end in the urban areas (considering a native speaker teacher gets $15/hour even for a class of 10 kids, the Language Center is making a ton of profit).

Anyways, I wanna know how much I should charge poor farming kids to teach them what their English Teachers at the public school can't: how to speak English properly.  Because you know, someday they might actually NEED to speak English (not just learn English to pass an exam). 

$5/month sound fair?  (100,000 VND/month for 8 sessions...so like a cup of coffee per session).  Too much?  Too little?  I don't want to make it "free" because they won't feel a sense of sacrifice or the class has any value ("well, I'm just gonna goof off cuz there's no loss to me" vs. "oooh, my parents are paying for me to go here, I better pay attention").

There is no hard ans fast rule regarding educational fee.
You can charge as much as you want but a cheap fee doesn't mean a 'rush of students' to your class  :D

charmavietnam wrote:

There is no hard ans fast rule regarding educational fee.
You can charge as much as you want but a cheap fee doesn't mean a 'rush of students' to your class  :D

That doesn't help me. How much do you charge?  I'm out in the province so urban rates won't be applicable...I just need a ballpark zone.

Ours is from $12-15 depends on the course (GE, BE, TOEIC & IELTS) for one on one class.

If poor rural kids really wanna learn English they go. Were teaching at a charity for free and the groups grow so fast. Since they cannot afford  the classes they are glad to learn English with us. Imagine cycling 1 hour from D10 to D4 twice or three times a week after work. Thats insane!

missmae wrote:

If poor rural kids really wanna learn English they go. Were teaching at a charity for free and the groups grow so fast. Since they cannot afford  the classes they are glad to learn English with us. Imagine cycling 1 hour from D10 to D4 twice or three times a week after work. Thats insane!

Thanks.  Already am doing a Free class as a charity deal in a separate case.  Now just asking about the proper fee to charge in this case.

make a fixed price per class (minimum 10, max 20 children) and set you rate accordingly, whatever, USD 6 -10, so they have to bring TOGETHER 6-10 USD per unit..

I would do that actually for free, especially outside the city

If not in a big city, the normal cost is about 200.000VND 300.000 VND per month ( 12 session, 2 hours per session ). But i think the cost is not the prob, try to talk with them clear why they should know English. And maybe you have to face with many prob from other enemy in the same area with you who also teach English for money.

Out in the country in Vung Tau, I know one weekend English class charged two million vnd per month. That was with a Vietnamese teacher that spoke "English", 100,000 VND per month with a native English teacher would be a steal. probably run all the business out of town, too.  ;)

I have a friend in Saigon who makes 30 mill a month teaching English, and he is a hopeless alcoholic who comes to work reeking of vodka

ChrisFox wrote:

I have a friend in Saigon who makes 30 mill a month teaching English, and he is a hopeless alcoholic who comes to work reeking of vodka

Does he have the alcoholic slur? Even with that he still can beat the Vietnamese teachers with pronunciation.

milkybunnyHCM wrote:
ChrisFox wrote:

Does he have the alcoholic slur? Even with that he still can beat the Vietnamese teachers with pronunciation.

Now that you mention it, no, he doesn't, I hadn't noticed.  He just repeats himself like crazy.  He'll call me at 4AM just to tell me how much he enjoys talking to me ... wish I could say the feeling was mutual but once he starts asking where he can get some booze the conversation kind of falls apart.  He's a decent enough guy but he's throwing it all away for booze.

Says he has to perform music videos in front of the class to get their attention.  I don't think the kids are learning

milkybunnyHCM wrote:

Out in the country in Vung Tau, I know one weekend English class charged two million vnd per month. That was with a Vietnamese teacher that spoke "English", 100,000 VND per month with a native English teacher would be a steal. probably run all the business out of town, too.  ;)

Thanks.  That is useful information.

l3ully wrote:

make a fixed price per class (minimum 10, max 20 children) and set you rate accordingly, whatever, USD 6 -10, so they have to bring TOGETHER 6-10 USD per unit..

I would do that actually for free, especially outside the city

Well, I've already am doing a free class at a temple.  I only get a handful of dedicated students.  Most just show up whenever they feel like it.  I find it hard to teach students the letter "R" when they weren't there for lessons on the letters A through Q.  So now I'm going to experiment with NOT making a class for free and see if students will be more dedicated since their parents are paying for it.

A few off topic posts were removed  :whistle: