Kids education 8 and 10 years old

I was born in Vietnam but currently hold a Canadian passport.   I think I can get a Vietnamese passport easily.   I do have my original birth cerficate still.   Few questions.

1.  If I move to Vietnam to live for extended period of time, can I send my 8 and 10 year old kids to local Vietnamese school?

2.  My company giving me 300,000,000 VND budget per kid for internatinal school.   Which school is good?   I work in District 1.

3.  Is international school worth the money?   I am thinking of sending the kids to local school, hire private tutor...etc... and save the money for other activities.   What do you think?

Thank you in advance,

1. Local public school allows Vietnamese citizens. Alternatively, local private school can offer your kids local education and school fee starts from $100/month/child, school provides Vietnamese education.

2. 100% International school fee starts from $15,000 / year / child which leaves you empty saving on school budget. The South Saigon School and Canadian School are located in district 7, American School and British School are located in district 2.

3. It should be your call. 100% International school provide western education and quite expensive as it should be over your school budget. However, you can check out the Asian International School as the school provides Vietnamese education in the morning and some subject in English in the afternoon. In this environment, your kids will have a chance to learn their mother tongue, culture etc. School fee starts from $300/month/child. Its campuses are located in some districts at your convenience.

In conclusion:
Local public school is impossible
Local private school is good place for local education and culture, mother tongue. Can go to uni in Canada with a little hiccup at first start if decide studying at Asia International School or have to take a year to study English in Canada first before entering uni if decide studying in a 100% local schools (can be sure you can get your kids to use English at home though)
International school is standard western education. Can go to uni in Canada without a hiccup.

Thank you!   Very very good advice.   Your help is Greatly appreciated.

Anytime. Happy to help.

I read your reply over and over again and really appriciate your help.   You seems to be really knowledgable in this field.   May I ask what is your background and what you do in VN?   My thought is eventually the kids have to go back to Canada for University.   At what age do you think they have to go back at the latest?   My kids want to be doctors.  How are science classes there in Vietnam?   I am not a big fan of international school.   I don't think you get the value for your money :-)).    I think I am leaning toward asian international school.   My work will be right in central area of Q1.   Any suggestion of schools and where to live?   I am the kind of guy looking good value for the money :-).   We can affort a decent life style in VN but deffinitely don't want to waste the money if we don't have to.

Thanks again,

Just one point, does your employer give you the money for schooling if you dont have invoices to show?

Yes, they told me they will give me 600M VND for the two kids education and I do whatever I like with it.   Part of me feeling guilty if not spending it all on kids education.  Part of me don't want to waste the money if I don't get the value for my money.   I have many nieces and nephew that turn out to be very good without going to "private school" here in Canada that's why I am somewhat reluctant.   I think it's important to teach the kids "life is tough and we all have to really work hard for it".   Hate to spoil the kids if I don't have to :-)).

Thanks,

I am different from you. Totally opposite to be exact. I am from Vietnam and care a lot for my children's education. I am preparing for my children's overseas university (although I wish them would study overseas from much younger age, I can't afford). In doing so, I do learn a lot about education either in Vietnam and neighbourhood countries.

If you don't mind or prefer sending your kids to local schools then I would recommend you check out the Asian International School or the Vietnam Australia School (sounds like but similar to AIS but double the cost, you probably prefer this one) because it's a local school with local students and provides local education as well as English language, math/science/drama/ etc in English. its teaching method is more creating students own opinion in contrast to 100% local schools where students being told or allow certain things and what to do. No creative at all. AIS is not the best but should meet most of your expectation in many aspects.

Education system differential between local and Canada isn't great, the most concern should be language barrier so:

If your kids study at 100% international school them they can go straight away to uni in Canada as their English good enough

If your kids study at local with English, I reckon they should go back Canada at least in the last 11th and 12th grade to ensure thwy could catch up their efficient English to enter uni

If your kids study at 100% local schools then they should go back Canada in their 7th or 8th grade.

I agree with you to give them the idea that life is...... especially when they take their class locally to see life in Vietnam as well as seeing how lucky they are that should make them try harder

Since you are working in Saigon centre and Saigon centre isn't great in size so wherever you stay, it should be around 15 - 30 minutes drive only. Where to stay depends on your family need and want and budget to, it can start from $500/month for a 2 bedroom house , from $1,200/month for a 3 bedroom house with swimming pool for instance. If you plan for fly very often then district 3,phu nhuan, go vap is an ideal as they are in the mis way between Saigon centre and Tan Son Nhat airport (go vap is lowest rental price). If you plan for going to Mekong in the weekend often then district 1,7,5 is an ideal or if you plan for going to Vung Tau, Mui Ne etc then district 1,2,Binh Thanh (Binh Thanh is lowest rental price).

Hi just read your post about schools.  Have to say I agree with the replies so far. My daughter is mixed and went to a variety of schools.
Viet Uc is a pretty good option for your kids. It has good facilities and Vietnamese in the morning and English in the afternoon.  However,  if your kids don't speak good Vietnamese,  they would find it difficult to get by in a school like this. It means that you would be wasting your money and giving them a really horrible school experience.
If you are being paid for their education and have to pay more, then try the Canadian school. Otherwise you might have to rethink your options.  Some people leave their families in their home country while they work overseas.