How to make friends in Canberra

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Canberra :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Canberra??

Thanks in advance for your participation

hello,
i am french girl who live in Canberra , i don't know how i can meet poeple there !! i feel alone , if someone want to share some activities or go out , i will be happy lol
see you

Hello Sandee2009!

You can have some contacts on the Canberra expat network. :)

Hope this helps

Good luck

I've found that if the people that you work with (or go to school with) ask you to come to a party, or to go out for drinks, you should go.  It's a good way to get to know people.

Hi friend I am very new in this  blog.Hope I will have a good time here

Welcome on board Bengal !

Been here 3 weeks...must be a bad timing because the town was dead over Christmas and New Year holidays. Been to Kingston, Dickson, Manuka and the Civic...and still haven't figured out how to make friends. Never had this problem in the US or anywhere else before ... is it the town? I'd appreciate some advice. Thank you in advance!

Hi,  Since Canberra is the capital of Australia, a large number of people here are employed by the federal government.  Christmas and New Years are federal public holidays so government employees are off of work and they often leave town for the coast and the beach (Christmas is in the summer here) or go overseas.  At about the end of January, people start coming back and there should be more people out on the weekends!

hi,
I am in canberra 1 week ago, and i would like to meet lot of people. I stay here for 6 months: i am in internship at the CSIRO....
Don't hesite to contact me,
see you,
justine

Hi!
I've been here for almost 6 months, definitely canberra is not like other Asutralian cities. Found it difficult to meet new people. Would love to catch up with anyone.
Lu

Welcome on Expat.com lubenza,

Hope you will make lots of contacts via our web community.

Regards

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd post some details of here of a couple of local social groups that may be of interest, particularly to meet new folks here in the ACT.

The first is a moviegoers group, which most weeks heads out to one of the local cinemas to catch a film, before meeting afterward for a coffee or bite to eat. All up we have nearly 200 members, but on average get around 10 coming to most films.

The second is a new group we kicked off recently called the 'The Best of Canberra Social Group'. The aim of the group is to enjoy the best of what's on around town, with events coming up including concerts, comedy nights, a tour of Parliament House, drinks at King O'Malley's, a bike ride around Lake Burley and some sports events, including the only AFL game in Canberra this year. Members wise there are about 90 of us.

Anyway some food for thought.

Our web pages can be found at:

(Moderated)

Hi there,

I've been in Canberra for a year now. Initially, I found it hard to meet people, but with a son in Primary School I soon met other moms and dads which made it easier.

You might want to join a fitness club or sports team, that works well, too. We go rock climbing, for example and have met nice people there.

If any of you guys wants to go out for a coffee, just get in touch! ;-)

Cheers,
Henrike

Hi to all in Canberra,:)
We have just moved from Ireland and we're wondering what is the best way to meet people/families? We have 3kids under ten so any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

looking forward 2012 wrote:

Hi to all in Canberra,:)
We have just moved from Ireland and we're wondering what is the best way to meet people/families? We have 3kids under ten so any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Canberra is not the best place to make friends to be honest,, either people don't want to socialize or its pretty cliky here,,,,  try going to the irish bar ,, actually sat nights is kareoke night at pj rileys in the city maybe u guys will like dat,

Cheers eoin

Hi I move to canberra almost a year back from melbourne and join university of canberra as researcher. Earlier I thought it was exciting but now I am fed up Canberra (moderated). Anybody on this forum like to meet me and have a cup of coffee will be great for me. Mail me at [email protected]. I hope for getting some friends from this forum.Hi Henrike, would you like to join me on a cup of coffee to share our experiences. Hope for positive reply

Lavy

Henrike wrote:

Hi there,

I've been in Canberra for a year now. Initially, I found it hard to meet people, but with a son in Primary School I soon met other moms and dads which made it easier.

You might want to join a fitness club or sports team, that works well, too. We go rock climbing, for example and have met nice people there.

If any of you guys wants to go out for a coffee, just get in touch! ;-)

Cheers,
Henrike

I want to meet Friends here specially Filipina womens...

Hi Sis I'm from Philippines as well, we can chat if you want, I'm here now in Ellenbrook, I know it's quite far and I'm looking for a friend from same origin :) hope to hear from you soon :)