How to make friends in Nepal

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Nepal :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Nepal??

Thanks in advance for your participation

When you are in Nepal, you can take more adventure travels like trekking, rafting, bungee jumping, paragliding and more. So, there you will get more friends easily because of Nepali peoples are more friendly than other.

Next, you can join any organizations or individual, visit rural villages, help them a little things like pencils for primary students, you will get different experiences than your normal daily life because you will get more respects, see picture.

So, you are expert on making Nepali friends.

I find the Nepalese people to be very friendly for the most part, and I have visited many regions in the last 15 year.  In the villages it is helpful to know someone, while in the cities strangers are more easily accepted.  But it is important to respect and show interest in local customs and not to assume everyone is either Hindu or Buddhist.

Since leaving home 5 years ago and living in China/ Australia/ Thailand/ Singapore & Oman, the best thing's to do are being pro-active and just puitting yourself out there. I have met some great friends by doing volunteer English teaching and playing in local soccer outings.

Being social is universal!

I put a lot of tips on life in Nepal in my book Nepal: On a Budget, but is important to realize that Nepali are very easy to make friends with. They either like you because they think you have money and they can get some, they want to learn English or they may just want a tourist friend for the status. But they are very available for friendship. When you cull out the wolves from the herd you will find some really wonderful people. But remember wolves are everywhere and in Nepal they have some of the most inviting smiles and personalities. The other 90% are lovely.

But when you are my age in your late 50's and a female it can be more difficult. Most Nepali women in my age bracket do not speak English. Also, I don't think their husbands would like to have them hang with a woman who has abandoned her grown children and ran off all the way around the planet. My point is that you need a plan if you want to make good, compatible friends.

Here are a few suggestions:

If you belong to a fraternity, civic organization or support group check to see if they have a presence here. There is a Mosque, Catholic church, Lions Club, AA and NA. These are friends waiting for you to show up.

If you want to do any volunteer work check with your own embassy for some contacts. Anyone from your country with an NGO will be a good person to know and you can associate with them to meet volunteers from your country.

Join on line Traveler sites like this one. There are at least 10 of them, including the hosting sites.

If you go on a trek or some other activity solo, let the facilitator know you are alone so he can look for someone else who is either alone or open to adding someone to the group.

Eat at your own, or another guest house at meal times and try eating at the same one for a few days. You will start seeing familiar faces. Remember, it is always appropriate to invite other tourists to go exploring with you.

Check with your embassy for activities. Sometimes you can find parties and other networking settings there.

Smile and do all the other things.

@MadagasgarNow  Great post! I am India bound (in 3 weeks), going to be doing volunteer consulting for an NGO there, but I'll be making a few trips to Nepal (Kathmandu).

Let's plan to meet for coffee!

Hello I'm lonely here in Kathmandu. Some body help me

raja babu wrote:

Hello I'm lonely here in Kathmandu. Some body help me

Hi and welcome to the forum
Have you been out to bars or clubs where expats go. Have you checked with your embassy or consulate as to whether there are sports clubs or communities you can join. Don't sit around, get out and about. Make the effort.