Teaching golf Kathmandu for six months?

Hi, I'm thinking of taking a job teaching junior golf in Nepal and I'd be based in Kathmandu. I am told I'd have a nice "western-style" apartment and would get a stipend of around $300 a month. Despite all of the research I've done over the past month, I really need to hear from someone on the ground, and maybe make a contact, as I believe I will be alone once I get there. (until I get to the golf course, that is. Thanks for any and all info on helping me decide!

Hi Stan,

I am not sure what your question is, so I'll just give a generic response; be carefull.

First is that you should make sure the people hiring you will be taking care of your visa / working permit. If you come in on a tourist visa, you are not allowed to work, and you are not allowed to stay past 5 months in a calender year.

Second is that a 'western-style' apartment is not a 'clear definition' of your living quarters. It could be anything, and it even might have a western style sitting toilet...
Also a western-style apartment might or might not have a sufficient water supply.

And last but not least, US$ 300.00 monthly (just over NPR 20,000/-) would be a nice salary for a Nepali University level day job worker (I have hired people for better salaries...) but it is not much for a foreigner in Nepal. Make sure you have enough savings, for you will have to tap into them if you're staying in Nepal for a longer period of time...
Living on NPR 20,000 will be living on a shoe-string. A beer in a western style bar will easily set you back NPR 350/- and a pizza in a quality restaurant will cost you around NPR 400/-.

But, as said, living on a shoe-string, you can get by on NPR 20,000, many Nepali people live on less then half...

Feel free to ask specific questions, and do read the other articles in the forum, many already have extensive answers to a multitude of questions!

But, above all, Nepal is a wonderfull country, and if you can afford dipping into your savings, then it is very much worth the experience!

Jorge.

Jorge,
Thanks for the info. I plan on at least doubling that amount on my own and having some extra savings for any excursions I want to take. I believe my employer will take care of my visas and everything that I need to work over in Nepal, as he has been running this program for about 9 years.
Sorry my posting wasn't more specific, I guess I'm just mining for information and trying to learn as much as I can before I go. There is currently a Pro in Nepal doing the same thing I would be doing and I have been in touch with him as well.