Life in PNG - expat feedback required

Hi there,

I am considering an expat role, located in Lae. Would appreciate feedback on expats experiences of living there? Would you recommend my wife & 10 year old boy living there also? Company is flying us there this Thursday to have a look for a couple of days to help with our decision. Feedback on social activities and experiences would be great, to help understand how to make most of living in PNG?

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,  We have been in PNG and have finally made the decision to go finish. The man reason is that the wife has had enough - you can only be a prisoner in your own home for so long. Yes, we were in Lae for a while but in Moresby now. I would very strongly suggest leaving your wife and son at home - primarily for their safety (and sanity) but also the schooling is poor and getting worse. There are so called "international " schools (IEA has a couple in Lae) however the standards are way below Australia (although they will try and tell you they are not). Our two kids went to an IEA school and were both a year behind when we sent them down to Board. Many expats are enticed by what seems good money in PNG however the cost of living is very high, and the Kina is falling and will go down further. Many contracts have a completion bonus however if this is in Kina you will lose out. (15 years ago the Kina was worth AUD$1.35, now it is 35cents....).

Come up alone for a year or two and fly up and down to visit the family - i have seen too many young excpat families here breakup because of the strains that the situation puts on you here. Hope this helps Dave.

@williams999. Your post has summed up PNG perfectly. The money is not there anymore and as for having family there , forget that idea.

I have lived and worked in PNG on many projects over many years including the Highlands on 2 occasions. I have seen marriages break up  when the newness of the place wears thin, along with mixing with the same few friends all the time, having lots of spare time and nothing to do.

Thanks for the feedback. After our visit to PNG, we agreed that would only be me who would make the move to PNG (at least for the 1st 6 months anyway), so will be flying home to NZ roughly every 6 weeks for a week or so. Not ideal, but we will see how it works out. Housing compound pretty good (includes pool & gym), and had a good look around Lae to work out how to keep myself entertained when not working (e.g. golf, fishing, scuba diving, squash, etc). Hoping to make monthly weekend trips to Cairns to keep taste of normal life regularly (and to keep doing my midlife crisis BMX riding!).

Wise decision Dave,

This use to be a great place but the security issue now totally confines a lifestyle. In our company non-working spiouses last betwenn 1 and 6 months, and they also have great accommodation with facilities.
Mike

Hi Dave,
Was interesting reading your post, as my partner and I went through the same situation. I was worried about the safety side of things as well as job opportunities that I could look at for myself. As I am still finishing university I decided to stay back and look after kids (10 and 16 months) and then reassess the situation. My partner lives and works in Lae and is enjoying the culture and sight seeing with groups etc.
We have booked flights to go visit him in a month so that will be very interesting for all.
Hope it all works out for you and your family. :)

Hi Beth

Glad to hear there others in same situation. By your username, are you in Waikato? We in Hamilton so would be great to meet and share experiences, etc. Let me know if interested.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,
I am in little ol Te Aroha, so not too far away. I study during the week and work weekends but if you or your wife would like to catch up via email that might be easier :)

Hi all

Thanks for all your responses. Unfortunately this website won't allow me to reply to any personal emails without posting more things on the forum. Therefore, would be happy to continue correspondence via emailing me directly on [email protected]

Thanks
Dave

I am from Morrinsville originally.

Hello All!

@daveclarke5013 : Private messages are blocked when members send the same messages over and over again, this is to prevent spamming over the website, so as to protect our members.

So as to unblock your private message, you have to be active on the forum, and automatically the private message will be unblocked.

Please see this review to understand more on this topic.

Anti Spam System & New Rules

Regards

Kenjee

:)  Hi

Hello BELA28,

Do you have feedback as life in Papua New Guinea to share with us? Please feel free to post here if you have any testimonials to make.

Regards

Kenjee

:cheers:

Hi Kenjee

Since your reply, I have made 4 new posts on the forum, and still private messaging has not been reactivated. It is pretty furstrating that I cannot reply to those who have made effort to message me privately. It seems pointless for me to post on the forum just for the sake of reactivating the private message system. Wouldnt it be more beneficial if my posts to forum actually added value?

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

Maybe you should check out the Anti spam system & new rules so as to have a better understanding and also we would kindly ask you to please avoid sending copy past message via the private messages or on the Forum please :)

For your information.. It would be much more appreciated if you can contact us here in private so as to avoid being off topic on the discussion ---> Contact the Expat.com team

Much thanks

Maximilien

I was educated, work and live in lae for more than 10 years but now live in Port Moresby. Lae is a beautiful place. I am is in Wau Bulolo three hours drive out of Lae City. Lae is cheap then Moresby. I would recomomd accomondation for you and family should be located at Cassawaory Street -Good street, flowers and close to Shooping Centres.

Can contact me
Emai: [email protected].
ph: (675) 323 5643 (675) 71959891

Thank you,
Sebatsine
Port Moresby

Hi Beth

I have been unable to reply to your private message unfortunately as system as blocked these for me (too many copy & paste messages). Are you still going to Lae, PNG in July? Be good to know more about your experiences of living in NZ whilst partner in PNG, as that is me & my wife will be doing from October onwards.

You can contact me on my personal email (as below) if you prefer;
[email protected]

Cheers
Dave