Salaries and lifestyle in PNG (PM)

#1 06 September 2011 19:49:15

Qasim1

Salaries and lifestyle in PNG (PM)

Hi,

I have received an employment offer of around Australian $ 72,000 pa + company provided accommodation (approx 73,000 Australian $ pa) and company provided transport can anyone let me know whether it is a reasonable pay in PNG. Also what will be tax i have to pay there. Do i have to pay tax on benefits like company provided accommodation and transport. What amount i can save there? if i live with my wife a reasonable good life style.
Also what is law and order situation there, is it safe to come there with my wife.

If i am getting reasonably good pay elsewhere (where i can save upto Australian $ 1500) should it be good decision to move to PNG.

Thanx

#3 07 September 2011 12:23:18

Qasim1

Re: Salaries and lifestyle in PNG (PM)

Need your Urgent help kindly guide me..

I have received an employment offer of around Australian $ 72,000 pa + company provided accommodation (approx 73,000 Australian $ pa) and company provided transport can anyone let me know whether it is a reasonable pay in PNG. Also what will be tax i have to pay there. Do i have to pay tax on benefits like company provided accommodation and transport. What amount i can save there? if i live with my wife a reasonable good life style.
Also what is law and order situation there, is it safe to come there with my wife.

If i am getting reasonably good pay elsewhere (where i can save upto Australian $ 1500) should it be good decision to move to PNG.

Thanx

#4 14 September 2011 08:54:16

birdies
birdies
Port Moresby

AUD $73,000 is a lot higher than the locals :)  Although if you are getting accommodation provided then your salary will only be needed for the staples (food, power etc) and holidays.  Life is very restricted in PNG - suggest you do lots of research before committing.

With Tax - you will be taxed graduated up to 42% so very high tax, then you will also be taxed on your vehicle and accommodation.  Check out the PWC website and others to give you the rates.

Law and order issues are everywhere in the world - I personally wouldn't go to Pakistan at the moment - but am fine here in PNG.  Like other cities, have your wits about you, don't put yourself into situations and you should be fine :)

I did quite a few months of research before making the commitment - you really need to make those decisions for yourself.  What is OK for me - may not be OK for you :)

cheers

#5 15 September 2011 08:46:11

BeaAmaya

I agree with birdies' assessment of the situation and would add that where you will be living/working should also play heavily into the decision. I am an older woman living in Port Moresby alone. I have been here 2 years and love it, but, as birdies pointed out, "what is OK for me - may not be OK for you".

Good luck with your decision!

#6 15 September 2011 09:52:17

Qasim1

Thanks Birdies and BeaAmaya for ur response/suggestion. I really appreciate them :)
Well i have accepted offer elsewhere hope thing would have been better there.

Thanks Again.

#7 21 September 2011 04:57:11

Kiwipom
Kiwipom
Tauranga

I would think that AUD$72K would be at the low end of expat salaries. You dont explain where you will be and what you will be doing so its hard to make a judgement. A bit more information would help.

Security is what you make it, be careful and dont go places that will get you into trouble. Its not the west but as a poster said above Pakistan and a whole host of countries are worse

#8 Yesterday 19:00:58

cancersobhan06

Hi all,

i got an offer from a company in PNG, would like to know certain details.
1) How much will a decent room will cost in Port Morseby for a month ?
2) How much will be the salary for a 2 years experienced guy in SOlar Energy field ? How much will be enough after tax, travel ,car, housing if given by company ?

Pls reply. urgently needed

Regards
KSB

#9 Today 01:54:13

stumpy
stumpy
Vientiane

cancersobhan06 wrote:

Hi all,

i got an offer from a company in PNG, would like to know certain details.
1) How much will a decent room will cost in Port Morseby for a month ?
2) How much will be the salary for a 2 years experienced guy in SOlar Energy field ? How much will be enough after tax, travel ,car, housing if given by company ?

Pls reply. urgently needed

Regards
KSB

Most expat contracts in PNG include accommodation,food allowance,medical insurance cover, transport, annual travel fares home etc.
Accommodation is expensive in Moresby, and it needs to be in a secure area with full time security guards. Security is very important in Moresby or anywhere in PNG.

Cost of living is expensive too. For cost of living www.numbeo.com 

For salary try www.payscale.com

I would try negotiating with the company before taking up the job.

You could try going on line to read the local newspaper, the post courier.

Please read through other posts on this section of the forum to give you an idea of things.

Last edited by stumpy (Today 01:55:14)

Expatriate health insurance Papua New Guinea
Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Papua New Guinea.
>> Click here
Expat banking Papua New Guinea
Discover the benefits of expat banking for people living and working abroad.
>> Click here
Moving to Papua New Guinea
A few tips from professionals about moving to Papua New Guinea.
>> Click here
Travel insurance Papua New Guinea
Don't worry and travel happy across Papua New Guinea.
>> Click here