I am a widow and live in Toronto, Ont. Canada. I still work F/T as a Health Care Supervisor, and I am very active, and outgoing.  My twin daughter & family left one year ago, to teach in Saudi Arabia for 2 years or so. My other twin daughter, a nurse, lives in Fresno, CA. Except for one brother here in Toronto, I have no other relatives.

I now plan to go to Ecuador and various regions in Jan. 2015 for three or four months, on a fact finding trip for possible retirement. Also I hope to find a travel mate to tour with me, all or some of the time.

I consider myself independent, adventurous, and well travelled.  However, I have never lived on my own in another country. I vacillate between bravery, and being a scaredy cat. I would feel more confident when planning to venture on my own, if I could make contact at times with folk who will or  have made the leap and transition. I would like a change, a new culture, back to the basics, and a better quality of life, not quantity.

I can totally relate to how u feel... have been in Quito for one month now .. just me and my daughter... no regrets... just really settled in... shortly will be looking to travel around... u are welcome to contact us if u want to: freemail81 at hush dot com

Olga

Oh thank you Olga. So nice of you. I will visit in Jan. and maybe we can meet for coffee. Are you on Facebook? We could connect. My name : Judith TenZythoff

Hi, Judy.. no i am not on Facebook... but i gave u my email if u wish to contact me.
It is only quiet scary the first time... There is a newsletter that Gary Scott writes on Ecuador.. they lived in E for some 17 years and now have left... a young Ecuadorian piggybacks on their newsletter (with their permission) and gives a seminar on E.. this could be a more comfortable arrangement going by yourself the first time.. u make contact with local professionals, with other travelers... nothing to be concerned about .. everything is arranged for u on the first trip... when u are in Quito.. we can show u around.. take you out to our  local French cafe for a good cup of coffee and a wonderful cake.   :)... on a boat in the park.. etc..show u our place.. little streets off the main square in the heart of town.. etc

Thank you again for the message. I still work F/T, catching up after a minor illness etc. I dislike typing at length, do you Skype? I don't mind phone calls sometime. I have a cheap long distance plan. Yes, love to see you in Quito and my treat. If I settle in Cuenca, I will also tour you around.

yes, i do have skype... pls send me a quick email and i shall give u my skype address

As for contacts, much depends on where you will spend you time here……..start with basics like mountains or beaches, city or rural……..seems like many of us expats all around the country……
Start to learn spanish if you do not speak it already…..

Hi Olga, we are connected via Skype.  I left you a message on the Skype page.

I too an planning a fact finding trip to Ecuador. Wanted to start in Quito. I currently reside in Alabama. An packing and putting my house up for rent. Would prefer to have a travel partner. I recently retired. Like you I want to stay for approximately three months. Otherwise one is required to have a Visa if staying for longer than three months. Please contact me to discuss more in detail.I was planning in leaving in November but would wait until January if you are indeed serious about going. No offense but some who post on here never follow through or are con artists. I am a retired teacher w/ one daughter and I have three perfect grandchildren. Going either way but would prefer to have a travel partner. So far for me I have found that American Air flying out of Tampa has the cheapest fares to Quito. Also you have to have a return ticket to get thru Customs. Glad that you posted. Sarah

Hello. I too am interested in going to Ecuador and January would be good. I presently reside in Valle de Bravo, Mexico.  I have been I Valle for two years.  I also lived in Guadalajara or four years.  I have heard wonderful things about Ecuador and I may want to live there.  I am a retired psychotherapist.  Anyway, I am looking for a travel companion.

Hi, received notice of your post and wanting possibly a travel companion. I dislike typing at length, and to time consuming.  I still work F/T as a health care supervisor, so time is not all my own.  I would love to get acquainted. We could Skype, Facebook video chat, or Magic Jack.  All free. Take care, Judy

Hi, received notice of your post and wanting possibly a travel companion. As for following through, yes I want to and will in the New Year.  However, I cannot say exactly when. I dislike typing at length, and to time consuming.  I still work F/T as a health care supervisor, so time is not all my own.  I would love to get acquainted, if you are still interested. We could Skype, Facebook video chat, or Magic Jack.  All free. Take care, Judy

Hi Judy, I would love to talk with you.  I don" know how to Skype  etc. but perhaps we could speak by phone etc..  My number is 530 527 8972.  I am presently at my residence in Red Bluff, California. I leave for Valle in two days.. I am very interested in the coastal areas.  My thought was to visit several cities and rent a little place in each city to save money. By the way, I do speak Spanish.  In Valle there are no Americans and my Spanish seems to get me by. Please contact me.  My e-mail is [email protected]

Hi Donna, I will phone call you tonight, and before you leave U.S. as I have a cheap U.S. long distance plan. I live in Toronto Canada and I am on E.S.T. So is 6/7p.m. good for you, this will be 9/10p.m. for me. If not, I will have to wait now for the weekend. Skype is perfect, free, and easy to download. Are you on Facebook, free video as well. I can send a link.

That would be a great time Judy, I look forward to speaking with you.

Good for you.  Wish I could go then and hang out with you and get all the details as well.  I'm planning on a 10 day visit in November.  Good Luck (post your thoughts and insights for the rest of us).