Taxes

Apparently our annual local house taxes are due by 31st  March. No one around here speaks English including the woman at the Primera who merely smiles indulgently at our efforts at Romanian. I can manage paying the water & rubbish collection but how do I find out how much tax to pay on the house? I was rather hoping that a bill would arrive! Thanks

Hi!

Most probable no bill will come  :) .  Sorry but this is Romania  :(
Sometimes a bill coming in big towns in march.
Better is to go where you registered last year the house and had paid taxes and just pay.
Is better to pay the taxes till 31 March for all year and u will have a discount of 10%. Is not much but you can say that you made savings  ;)
Usual you have to pay half till 31 March and rest till 30 September.

To make them understand you can say this in Romanian or just write on paper and show them :

Doresc sa platesc impozitul pentru anul 2014. Aceasta este adresa imobilului . Cat am de plata?

Here is the english translation:
I wish to pay taxes for my house for the year 2014.
Doresc sa platesc impozitul pentru anul 2014.

This is adress of the house.  .... (After this sentence wrote your adress )
Aceasta este adresa imobilului .

What is the amount to be paid?
Cat am de plata?

Best of luck!

As soniarma says, you probably won't get a bill in the countryside. I get one in Bucharest which can be paid at the post office, bank or over the net, but for my places in the countryside I have to go to the town hall (primarie) for the commune and pay there. Just go in there and show them the paper with the Romanian sentences soniarma suggested. You don't have to pay by the 31st March, but as she says, there's a 10% discount before that date. You could always take your contract for the house with you to help them find you on their register. When I went to pay for the first time, they couldn't find me anywhere on their records. It turns out they'd entered my first name as my family name.

It's also vaguely possible that you've already paid it. The rubbish collection in our commune is included in the council tax bill so you may have paid the whole lot without realising it. Did you get a receipt for the rubbish? What does it say on it?

The only other thing you might need to let them know is that it's your only property in Romania. Second and third (and so on) properties incur a slightly higher rate of tax (60% or 65% more for the second property, and I think 90% for the third) so they might ask you about this. Just add something like (and please correct my grammar, soniarma!) "Aceasta casa este singura locuinta care imi apartine pe teritoriul Romaniei." to the rest of the sentences to make sure they don't start asking you about this.

I have nothing to correct Maykal! Perfect romanian sentence!  :)

Ce tocilar sunt!  :cool:

Thank you both! We shall go forth & practice our lousy Romanian on the smiley but non-English speaking clerk at the Primarie on Friday. Hopefully it will all be easier after we've been here a year & know more of how things are done & more language. Living in a small village with no English speakers is certainly an experience but they are all very kind people & tolerate our efforts at Romanian, combined Romanian, French, German, English sentences & sign language!

Hats off to you both Robin & Sue. I admire you!

I know that is not easy for you but and I am sure that in some time you will be comfortable with language  :) , same like Maykal  :cool:

Yes you are Maykal ! :idontagree:

Hi Sue!
I ,and my husband will move to Curtea de Arges in October this year. We will live 50 Km distance of Campulung Muscel, in Curtea de Arges where we bough a house in November last year. Nobody will send you any bill at home when you pay the annual tax for your house, You 've got to go to Primaria ( City Hall) in Campulung Muscel to pay it.Yes, in villages people don't speak English indeed but they would come closely to look at you. For Romanian villagers this is a strange thing, some British people to move in their village...lol.  But in villages and small towns generally people are  friendlier  than in big cities.
Near Campulung Muscel, in Suslanesti there is a couple of British, Sue and Steward Payne ,we visited them in Ocober last year.
Florina