Rent a flat or a house in Nepal

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Nepal. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Nepal.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Which kinds of accommodation are available in Nepal?

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Nepal?

How to find a home in Nepal: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

It's relatively easy to find a flat in Nepal (Kathmandu area) and there is tons of new construction. The issues to consider are: (1) Is the landlord responsive? (2) What is the water situation? Is it delivered? Is there a well? Is it filtered? (3) Is the water heated? How? Solar? Is there a heating element as well in case there is no sun for prolonged periods? (4) What kind of energy back up is there for the 'load shedding' periods? (5) Can the energy back up run a refrigerator? Lighting? TV? etc. (6) Confirm that bath and kitchen drains work. (7) What is trash pick up policy? Is it extra? (8) Does apt come with internet?
The documents to rent a flat are rather simple but landlord specific. Ask him/her. Also, are utilities sold separately? Is there a didi nearby that can do your laundry? Where does laundry get done otherwise? Access to water supply? laundry machines?
Good luck!

I am comining from Oman, i want to settle down in Nepal,i am looking for flat or House at reasonable price.

Hi mohammed.130 & welcome to Expat.com!

Could you please post an advert in the appropriate section > Housing in Nepal?

Thanks,
Harmonie.;)

RomaHealth had some really good tips. Nepal is very different from the west. You don't need formal documents at all. Everything is done on a handshake, but that just creates problems on back end. That's when the horns come out.

If you want to live in the big expat community of Senapa or Patan you will pay a lot more. Bhaktapur has better weather, no cars in the city so less pollution and very few expats. It's a real Nepal experience. Kapan is also like that but more Buddhist, a genuine community.

I know of one furnished apartment in Bhaktapur for only 15,000 NRs per month. The same apartment in Patan would cost at least $100 more.

Thank you for your contribution MadagascarNow! :)

Aurélie

TRY nepalhomesearch.com

:top: Sabin113

hi Christine
how u doing,hope everything fine.ye its not difficult finding a rent in Nepal as you are thinking.its matters where you wanna stay in a hotel or apartments?So depending on it the charge varies.and for sure not much expensive.
There is no any special formalities and very easy to get if you get someone honest to assist you but you can be easily used to that.
Hope to get back.

Regards,

Bhim.

Thank you Bhim! :)

PS: To note that Christine forms part of the Expat.com Team! ;)

Aurélie

hello..
i need your help.
i want to settle over there at minimum house cost available..
anywhere don't know much about nepal..
please help me out where to settle and all..
1BHK will b enough..
please help me out i would be thankful to you...

Hello shivika -> The Housing in Nepal section could help. You should post an advert there. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

hey aurelie thanx for the help..
but sorry m still  not getting it..
i want a 1BK just for 2 persons..
maximum of 3000rs. per month..
suggest something..

@shivika > please post an advert in the housing in Nepal section. This can help you to find an accommodation. Thank you.

Hi  Welcome to nepal,  please let me know your budget, we  would like to rent  part of your house.

Dil Sapkota
9851084187 ( Mobile)
[email protected]

hello dil sapkota....
you r giving a part of your house on rent....???
actually the budget is too low it would be something near to 3000 Indian rupee...
if u can help..
it would be ok if i get 1 room and a kitchen and obviously an attached washroom with it...
If you can please help me..
i'll be thankful to you...

Hello

We are to move to Kathmandu, Nepal for a 2-3 years stay and we decided to rent an Apartment instead of the more spacious bungalow style detached house, based on security & safety reasons being the 1st & foremost Priority No. 1.

In the Apartments category, we looked at several ones, Indreni Apts that's very popular with Expats, Bhatbhateni Apts, Grace Apts (mostly in the Bhatbhateni area). We also wanted a fully furnished apt with good backup power facilities b'coz Kathmandu has 12 hrs load-shedding on a 24/7 basis. Hence, power backup is a strong criteria. Also, the quality of the building, the ppl around living there. Mostly, we wanted to be in the midst of the expat community.

After a gruesome 2 weeks search, mostly all the apts asking for rent upwards of US$ 1200 and above, we zeroed-in on Bhatbhateni Apts that's providing us the best of the facilities in a consolidated fashion.

However, do note that rentals in Kathmandu is expensive and you must also create a solid, comprehensive Lease document for your own protection.

We are on the process to finalize ours in the next 2-3 days.

[Moderated]

hello..
i need your help.
i want to settle over there at minimum house cost available..
anywhere don't know much about nepal..
please help me out where to settle and all..
1BHK will b enough..
please help me out i would be thankful to you... it can be 3000 to 3500 inr

if i get 1 room and a kitchen and obviously an attached washroom with it...
If you can please help me..
i'll be thankful to you
Please help me , i am looking for an information for last few days in Google , but not getting proper information .

Please help me

Hello debeshr.

Have you tried the housing section? You may consult the accomodation offers there or even post an advert.

Thanks.

Karen :)

I found a nice one bdr apt in Pokhara for long term 20,000 a month which fit my budget. You have to be careful and know what tricks are done by landlords to squeeze more rupees out of you. Make sure you negotiate a "all included" rental. Many will figure you are wealthy beyond compare and try to charge you 1500 extra a month for gas, 20+ per unit for electricity, 1500 for wifi and whatever else they can think of. 20,000 is a lot of money and everything should be included in that. The most i will concede is to pay 300 for gas if staying a month and if it's up to 5 months, i pay 1500 for a full tank which should last 5-7 months. The govt. regulated cost of gas is 1325 a cylinder but i give leeway for the delivery cost. If the owner wants money for bottle water, 100nrp per 20 liter bottle is the going cost. Only a fool pays for internet. The family uses it also. Everywhere has wifi included. Electricity should be included also. You have much more negotiating power for the longer rentals. Other things that i consider is the area around the house. If you live here and not just visit, you might not want to listen to hammering all day long next to construction sites. Local bars can play loud music with thumping bass and, my personal favorite is the almost ever present little white pomeranian dogs that bark all day long at everything. Fortunately, i have now found a relatively quiet place in Pokhara, the hammering capitol of Nepal. Good luck with your quest☺