Possibly Relocating to Costa Rica

Palmares and San Ramon are nice quite places where you can find cheap land and low crime. Not many expats, so Spanish is a must.

billymac2- It is very difficult for expats to work here, unless it is under the table or you have a specific work visa which someone needs to sponser for you. My friends and I have a saying, "If you want to be a millionare in Costa Rica, bring two."

Hi DDtica, How are you doing? You always have good info. to pass on so I was wondering if you could tell me something about Atenas and LaGarita. The weather there seems to our liking but not sure of availabilty of rentals there. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Jerry

Hi DDtica, How are you doing? You always have good info. to pass on so I was wondering if you could tell me something about Atenas and LaGarita. The weather there seems to our liking but not sure of availabilty of rentals there. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Jerry

I did mention Atenas (I just spelled it wrong...oops!)It has a hardy expat population and there should be ample rentals around. LaGarita is close by and very similar. I like the area. Lots of rolling hills and places tucked into them. I regards to rentals, most places are one story "Tico" style homes. 99.9% of places will have bars on the windows and doors, or walls surrounding the property, maybe with razor wire. Very few closets or storage, laundry outside, no dryer (you hang clothes). Dogs everywhere. If you are looking for North American standards, there will be some around but considerably more expensive. Usually condos or gated communities.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Would you consider it safe in these areas? We are planning on buying a car when we get there.I plan on staying at a B&B for one week and spending a day in each of those areas we talked about.I just talked to a Realtor in LaGarita and she made it sound like a very convient area to airport and Hospitals.It sounds to me that this is going to be quite the adventure of our lives. Thanks Jerry

Be prepared for sticker shock when you buy a car! They are double anything in the US. And don't think importing one will be cheaper since taxes here are nearly 50% the value of the vehicle. I suggest buying from an expat. They seem to be a little more honest about things. My neighbor bought a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser for $15,000 and three days later the back end fell out of it! I had someone try and sell me a car with a cracked engine block! Needless to say, no lemon laws here. I know of some people who do long term rentals. I've never done it, but they seem to have found good deals. “Safe” is a relative term here. It's not a matter of “if” something happens, just when and how bad. Realtors are NOT to be trusted. Do not sign anything until you have a lawyer look it over and especially not one recommended by the realtor. Realtors are some of the biggest criminals out there…followed by lawyers. It's not so much as an adventure as it is an acid trip. Hope you like earthquakes too! Just had a mini one. Never a dull moment!

Hi, I have talked to a service that helps you to make a purchase on a car also will have a mechanic check out vehicle. I did find out about the sticker shock, he told me to expect to pay about 40% mark up on all used cars.His service is 285.00 and he takjes me all the way to the plates vand registration of the sale. He is from Texas and went to a local college here until moving to CR. I have seen his referrals and think in our case it will be a good idea. I did take your advice on the pensionado residence and their charges were about 3,000 for both of us. I should be able to get a decent car for around 13.000. D yopu think it would be wise to hire a guide when we get there to help us find the right location? We dont mind spending the money but dont want to get riped off.Thanks Jerry

I cannot help you with tours. Sorry. I know they are out there but maybe somebody else can pipe up and help you. You should do a new forum post asking that. You might get better feedback.
$13,000 will get a good vehicle. Get the biggest one you can afford since the roads can be pretty harsh. I bought a Mitsubishi Montero. It's a very common car here, mechanics are use to working on them, and they are pretty damn tough. Stay away from some makers since parts can be super expensive.

Thanks again DDTica I think I will try to find someone there that might help us for a fair fee. Jerry

When we went down in 2010 we toured on our own.  We made a lot of preliminary contacts via email and skype before we went.  We put 2700km on our rental and did indeed find a place to hang our hat.

Hi Thanks for the response. Is it possible to find a small house to rent fully furnished in Atenas or LaGarita or any other village close to the airports and to good hospitals with a budget of 600.00-900.00 mo. ?

I am sorry Jerry we are the wrong people to be asked that question.  We went looking for bare land and only that.  Your best bet for finding rentals is to look locally, bulletin boards, grocery stores, post office, etc.  Ask locals, especially taxi drivers!

Hi DDTica, I'am making grogress on our move to Costa Rica. I have decided on Antenas for the warmer weather than Grecia, and we have decided on renting a furnished house that will fit our budget.We have yet decided on a leased car or buying a used one. Any suggestions on buying versus leasing? Jerry

Beg to differ DDTica, when you sell a car in Costa Rica you have to warrant the car for 30 days. It's the law.

There are many laws here, but unlike the US, it is difficult and expensive to have them enforced. It is just better the air on the side of caution and look at every purchase with a critical eye.

Im also thinking about moving there. I was thinking just doing online banking with the same bank that I use in the states! there are also atms there! Thanks...Darcy

You should always look closely at anything you buy. Everyone knows that. I know cars here have a 30 day warrant because I have used it once with no trouble.

Which area has the least amount of expats and more locals?  We don't need or want the gated communities, cut off from the natives in CR. That is our whole point of traveling there and spending time, to explore the culture..However, we don't want remote locations either. Nice beach, at least within walking distance, with a village type atmosphere, cafes, markets, maybe a few restaurants, community activities, etc..

thanks