Contact for finding long term rental in Costa Rica

My family (wife and 3 young children) are planning to move to Costa Rica for 6 months.  We don't know where we'd like to go except that we will be on a somewhat tight budget and want to expose the kids to Spanish language and Costa Rican culture.  We'd also like to be somewhere close to water.  We are planning to travel to Costa Rica for a week and scout possible places to live, but need suggestions.  Ideally we'd like a contact who can suggest a few towns for us to look at for our scouting trip.  Any suggestions are very kindly appreciated!

Hi!
My husband and I have been moving around Costa Rica for the past 4 years, and finally settled in for a long-term stay. We investigated various places by doing day trips, and stayed in several for 2-4 months. You can see some of our process here:
http://julieandrickincostarica.blogspot … label/town
I'm happy to help with specific questions - we don't have kids tho.
BTW - we also originally thought "yay, beach!" but found them too hot and a bit remote. Our list of wants and needs changed drastically as we investigated. I look back and laugh, and look forward and smile.  Hope you will be as fortunate!
Julie

since budget and water are high on your list, I would look at the following:
- arenal / la fortuna (largest lake)
- samara (beach, nicoya penninsula)
- orosi (river & lake)
- cahuita (beach, caribbean)

Hi!

There are plenty of options to choose from, lots of beaches with amazing sceneries.
I will suggest for you to get something in the Central Valley meanwhile you find out the place you want to live at! I will definitely suggest San Ramon.
I am currently in San Ramon; this is the real Pura Vida! I can see the ocean from my mountain chalet style home and the area is so secure and calm.
I am also 40 m away from the beach and 30 m away from the airport! What more can I ask for?
I want to suggest you this company which really took care of me, they can help you with all the relocation process and more important they will find you what you want!
internationalrecr.com/`they really can help on all the relocation process as well.

We have a post up on our blog, that you might like, about Caribbean beaches: costaricabirthandresidency.com/caribbean-beaches-are-great-kids

We love Puerto Viejo, on the Caribbean side. My son learned to swim there! Unfortunately, we found out that living on the beach is usually a little pricier than the inland choices in Costa Rica. For us, it's worth it because we love the water so much. My kids could entertain themselves on a beach for hours every day of the year.

If you can give me some idea of your housing budget and size needs, I could tell you if the Caribbean might work for you. Our family of 5 looked at every available house rental in the Puerto Viejo area about 6 months ago!

Trish

Hola!

We too are a family of 5 (three young daugters) moving to CR in July.  We are currently focusing on the Guanacaste region (Pacific coastal towns like Playa Negra), however, we too are on a VERY tight budget up front.

Our main goal is to eventually buy a small sustainable farm/property where I can possibly open a small surf/eco-lodge catering to eco-friendly surfers & tourists.

My question is...due to the mass development in the northern region, what is this group's thoughts / opinions on the lesser developed area(s) in the southern Pacific coast regions (Osa Peninsula, other)???

And finally, does anyone have any tips and tricks for locating long-term (non vacation priced) rentals or housesitting opportunities.  Ideallly, we'd like a place that does not isolate us from the Tico community either (when in Rome!!).

Thanks again and I look forward to connecting with the great expats here!!

Pura Vida!!!!!

Jason & the Girls

to trish, who said, "If you can give me some idea of your housing budget and size needs, I could tell you if the Caribbean might work for you. Our family of 5 looked at every available house rental in the Puerto Viejo area about 6 months ago!"

plan on heading down to PV just after the new year, and hoping to rent a 2-3 BR house for a minimum of 3 months. any and info you might share is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

So many questions.
My best pointers are:

montanafamily
1. Tight budget = problems. If you are going to relocate your family, you cannot have a tight budget. Tight budget means that you are going to sacrifice your family's comfort in some way. Especially if you have small kids. Costa Rica is not cheap.
2. JulieH suggests a couple of good places based on your requirements: Orosi and Arenal. Arenal could be expensive if you would like to be close to a town with basic services (grocery, doctors, transportation, etc). I suggest Orosi, it is more affordable, very scenic, very costarican. Caribbean I would not suggest. Although it is nice, is not child friendly, unless you are a hippie. Crime is VERY high and drugs are rampant.  (just me)San Ramon is nice, but Orosi has rivers, lakes and forests.

knousehouse
1. Dude, you are 10-15 years too late. Again, tight budget means go to Honduras. Perhaps you will be able to find more affordable land there, but at the cost of your family's safety.
Guanacaste is too expensive. The southern peninsula (Osa) is less developed. However, prices are getting high. Too many speculators. A decent piece of land for a self-sustainable farm could start at $150,000 USD. (two acres). Even though you could have ocean view, it may still be 1-2 hours from the beach. Get to the beach and you are looking at $200,000 USD for 1/2 acre.

The best trick to locate affordable rentals is to go there and look. Nothing that you will find on the internet is going to be cheap, especially if you look for "Vacation Rentals". Be very careful of what you sign. If it's in Spanish and you are not competent with the language, I suggest having a lawyer read it over. Fraud is extensive in the immigrant community.
Costa Rica may look small on the map, but it is difficult to get around. San Jose to Puerto Viejo= 5 hours. San Jose to Jaco=2 hours. San Jose to Tamarindo= 5 hours. And that is you driving on a clear day with no traffic restrictions (ie, mudslides, construction, accidents). 
My best advice to all is to develop a good, trustworthy contact here in CR who can refer you to the services you desire.  Be safe. Be wise.

Hi Montana Family.  Congratulations on your upcoming adventure!  My husband and I took the plunge to move to Costa Rica 2 years ago on Thanksgiving Day.  We have enjoyed every minute of our decision!

[Moderated: no free ads plz]

Anyway, I hope you find exactly what you are looking for. 

Blessings,

Stephanie

The grossly inflated home prices in Costa Rica has resulted in rents also being totally out of line, for those who have a desire to live in a home constructed to North American standards.
Finding a place to rent at a civil cost is one issue, the other is the cost to purchase a car, plus the fact that the cost of surviving is the same as it is in Canada.  Almost everything we purchase in the Super Marchado is the same price as we pay in our own country.  Going out for dinner is sometimes even more expensive.  I guess reasonable rents can be found, especially during the off season when Gringo owners need people to home sit their mansions, but for the most part I find the rental prices in Costa Rica at least 25% higher than they should be.

Montanafamily: we just arrived back to TX from our 11day "due diligence" trip and highly recommend looking up George Lundquist tour. This was spectacular for us! Also don't miss 2day seminar with ARCR. Online sites will detail these must do things to help you choose an area. George is not only a wonderful tour guide but lives, developes and builds in Puriscal. This area is beautiful! He is detailed with so much knowledge of things you would not think about.  Tell him Robin sent you! Best wishes. We arrive oct/nov and hope to meet you! Central Valley is real nice. Beach is humid and very uncomfortable. Lots of poverty. Stay away from Jaco as prostitution is legal. Pura Vida! A great B&B is Casa11. State of the art contempory home with pool.

Hi , you seem to be pretty knowlegable on CR. My wife and I are planning retirement there soon. I have a question for you, we have picked Grecia, aaaaaaaAtenas, and LaGarita as possible destinations, do you think it would be advisable to hire someone to show us these areas or wing it on our own? we are in our mid 60s, and hope not to get ripped off. Thanks Jerry

We took in the ARCR seminar and it was beneficial.  Due to the fact that you are not looking far afield you should be able to find your own way without a tour guide.  We did most of the country in 2010 on our own.

Hi I have been told that the cab drivers can be very helpful.We plan on staying at a B&B for a week or so looking for a place that will hit both of us in a good way, it should be an adventure to say the least.

Most certainly!  I mentioned taxi drivers in answering your other post.
Cheers .... Terry

Hi, I am soon to be an emtpy nester, just me and my pup and am looking to re-locate to the Caribbean.  Female, where would be safe, where to stay away.

Thanks

Looking to go to the Grecia, Sarchi or possibly San Ramon for two months this winter. We need to rent a place for two months as we look at possibly making that area home. If someone can advise any suggestions on a rental home or cabin we can use as a base for about two months I would greatly appreciate your info.
Thanks, Sam

Hi
I would suggest you stay in the Central Valley with its MILD not hot and humid like our mostly black sand beaches . I moced here 2 years ago and serached ALL of Costa Rica usntil I  found my 3 acre small fruit farm A ppiece of heaven my B&B guests call it ..Warm Not mosquito ridden  Trnaquil country Atmosphere ..BUT with a GREAt bus system (bus stop st my electric gate .) In 15 minutes I can be in the lovely town of HEREDIa (known as the City of Flowers ). If you dont mind traffic and the partying of the International Students you would like living in the center of Heredia BUT I prefer the birds and butterflies BUT being an ex city gal LOVE the fact that I am 5 minutes rom the charming villages with farmers markets ADN the larger towns 10 minutes away..Best of both worlds .Malls and County clubs close by don't interest me but many enjoy ( I have been there done that.>we also have Wireless Internet or Internet cafes in Villages and the BEST part is that we are NOT stuck in Bonn docks where if emergency arises we are only a 15 minute ride away from Brand New Hospital in Heredia and not so lovely San Jose a bit polluted and Dangerous Despite local clinics in most small out of the ..Also I would avoid the Caribbean Coast Where 8 years ago I wuld send many of my B&B guest to visit BUT now things have changed and infux of heavy drugs have made it dangerous..The pacific side is not too bad but I decided that the Lush, Green beauty of the Cenral Valley with its volcanoes and many things to see and good schools ..outweighed the beach areas , and if needed we could have a weekend at te beach..that gets old fast..so we are GLAD we never settled at the beaches NOR the pretty but remote Tourists areas .We also avoided the "Gringo gulch areas like Escazu. Santa Ana, Grecia, where just being a foreigner you pay MUCH more for everything Including graceries , rents, SCHOOLS ,Hospitals , and many other things as we are thought to all be Millionaires. I have friends who bought there and wish they had not ... not only the traffic jams and noise of constant high rise buildings BUT they NEVER absorb the culture nor LEARN the Language because the Gringos all huddle together to speak only ENLGISH..Strange why bother to move to a new culture ann forgo the opportunity to learn a new Language.That said everyone has a different  taste Personally I like the charm of this area yet have the modern way of life
I retired from my hectic B&B of 2 years and now have time to REALLY relax..lie in a hammock and ENJOY the Awesome Views as my guests once did . Alas 3 acres and a large house plus 3 apartments and 2 chalets id too big now so I may sell and downsise or continue to rent monthly less work..but IF I do sell I would ONLY consider living in THIS area just a stones throw from lovely Heredia//
Wherever you move Good Luck I suggest you RENT before and impulsive buy ..to see if and Which area you feel at home with..Schools also in central Valley are far superior for the children
If ay more questions let me know as I now have much more time to spare on line BUT dont get too much time to come to this great site ..but check my private email daily
at [email protected]
but shussh ..LOL I just read that USA has Big brother screening all private emails and face Book ..so I guess you will be monitored if you say anything out of place OH Dear God Bless the  USA... I worry about my friends there ...
Regards
Pebbalita

Thanks for the info "Pebbalita". We went to Costa Rica a number of years ago and rented a car and travelled almost everywhere except over on the Caribbean coast. Have to say that I liked the central Valley the best. It of course was much to quick a trip to really get a good feel for the area's. I like the small communities in the central valley but close enough to drive to the larger centers for the times one feels he needs to go. I do remember the town of Grecia and am surprised that you mentioned it as a Gringo area. Maybe things have changed but this was one area I was planning on checking out again for a place to live as I remembered it as a small community populated mostly by Tico (Costa Ricans) and little influence from the outside. I remembered Atenas as having a lot more expats.
"Pebbalita"- You mentioned that you are 15 minutes from Heredia. Is that in the direction of Grecia. I plan on checking out Grecia and San Ramon as possible places to live. I am most definitely looking at the central valley but just not quite sure where. We don't want or need country clubs, golf courses, expat social clubs etc. We like to mix with the locals and blend in with people and the land around us. A home on the outskirts of a small community would be great. Being that you know Costa Rica I would love to hear a little more on your thoughts of Grecia and San Ramon. Thanks so much.

UGH MY awful typos I MEANT I Moved here 22YEARS ago..NOT 2 years LOl so pick my brain I checked out MOST areas in CR before opening my B&B of 22 years on my fruit farm 2=Acres.. MANY of the local guides receive commissions for recommending areas WiTHOUT giving any thoughts to OUR AGE group regarding HEALTH and CLOSE BY HOSPITALS ..since developing heart problems I SURE am GLAD I was not believing all the HYPE about living in Grecia , Atenas etc..MANY Gringos BUT no LARGE Hospitals and pretty if you want to be surrounded by Gringos and NOT absorb the local culture and learn Spanish as we did in 3 months
Beaches (true lots of Prostitution) and I agree with one poster who said if you are budgeting GUANACASTE is VERY expensive Ways away 6 hour drive for HOSPITALS ..remember out AGE catagories and most 'UNLICSENCED" realttors will say'OH the Clinic is Minutes away...BUT the CLINICS only send you off to the LARGER well equipped Hospitals in  Heredia or San Jose (yuk) SO BEWARE and take your AGE into consideration regarding HEALTH care nearby I learned due to several recent heart problems I have been having ECO Cardio tests within 30 minutes from leaving my farm in heredia Hills ..so it can happen to everyone..and sorry to say that I used to LOVE Puerto Viejo but NOW US Embassy has issued warnings of DANGER with armed house robberies and beach eares ..so BEWARE Things change .....and if need more suggestions mal me at
extrapetssATyahoo.com

Pebbalita, I have been reading the blogs and like the information you give. I am interested in CR and went there in March to look around. You area is of interest to me since i prefer mountains to the
beech. I would like more information on your area.
Libero

Hi there
I am also an empty nester, a woman in her mid 50's and wishing to relocate; however, its scary doing this on my own as I could be so easily taken advantage of .   
Michelle

REMEMBER CAB driver RECEIVE COMMISSIONS for Bringing guests or tenants and will tell you anything  you want to Hear...even in dangerous areas!

IF you stay in a place where others also live ..like a community type place with a few apartments MOST of us never leave property Unattended so you should NOT have any problems JUST be careful WHERE you choose to live... FORGET the Caribbean though touted by many owners is NOT SAFE and drug infested now... not like a few years ago..

HI Libero
Yes I chose the BEST of all worlds after scouting CR 22 yerars ago...What would you  like to  know? Warm MOSER$ATE Climate , NO mosquitos NOT remote yet maintains its charm..farmers Organnic Markets ..great bus services GOOD roads ...Any thing else email me at my private email as I love this site but do not always have time to come in here but I check my ""privates' LOl Daily..Cheers Pebbalita
extrapetssATyahoo.com

oops my reply is below :)

HI Sam
Grecia WAS a few years ago less Gringofied ..now not and if you do nor mind being far away from Major hospitals and better prices look at areas around where I live Just outside of lovely HEREDIA..can be a bit noisy with International students nightly BUT busses run and GOOD roads so just minutes away Lovely Mountain fresh air ..no mosquitos SAFE AND TRANQUIL..I CHECKED everywhere MAY YEARS AGO A DIFFERENT WORLD NOW SO I do not RECOMMEND Caribbean NOR Puerto VIEGO AS I ONCE DID ..GOOD lUCK YES the Central valley has best of both worls Country setting yet CLOSE to most things ....ESPECIALLT Hospitals for us older folk who think the little clinics will do..NO!!
Other areas are not bad if you do  not mind the distances ...

read post below:)San Ramon Fine if you dont mind being a bit far away...

Parritman..
OH if ONLY you KNEW what we landlords  are CHARGED ...for taxes electricity. Water, Trash Pick up etc etc ,..you would see that like me///at same price for MANY years ..we just about break even ! Things are NO loner cheap for property rental owners ..Reminds me I should raise my prices :)

Sam Read my [posts below and sorry if I cant get time to come into this helpful site much so if more questions email me
[email protected] gmail is messing up a LOT :(

post reply below BUT it also depends on WHERE you choose to live ..Prices around Heredia are FAR less and FAR fresher veggies etc and cafes ...restaurants BOTH prices ...

STILL I tell people CARIBBEAN coast id now drug ridden also, tho pretty..MANY frineds wish they were NOT stuck with property there ..BEWARE!

GO see property AT NIGHT and see if you feel safe ,, I STILL would never rent unless they had live in people ON property 24/7 as I have for 22 years ..THAT  is SAFETY Living alone in WRONG area is NOT...for a gal especially

HI People have  IDEA how expensive it is for owners who pay to rent apartments to various places ..Including TRASH Pick up To local MUNI plus taxes ..help for outdoor cleaning/Gardening ALL of which have almost triples in 2 years Electricity//Gas / And WATER rates ..So at the end of it not much of a profit if any..My units on my little farm have been  SAME  price for 22 years could find THAT in USA or Europe ...I guess that's why CR is known as Switzerland of Central America... RENTAL AREAS should be a PRIORITY to live safely...

Hi Pebbelita
Thank you for your advice.  The more I read, the more I become afraid; especially when reading that the taxi drivers will take advantage of you. I have 2 pensions (thank you to my ex husband) and so want to spend  the winter outside of Canada and explore different areas to retire.  So this is what I plan on doing.  Booking a 1 week inclusive at manuel Antonio this November and then finding a place to rent in central America for 2 months.  I suppose I will rent a car in Manuel Antonio to take me there?  Is that what others do? Where do they find rental apartements/condos when they get there? I would like to be in the mountains with a view of the ocean below if possible, near walking distance to shopping for a newspaper, and civilization. My Goal is also to meet a wonderful man who is also a gringo maybe from the USA or Canada.  Where do most of them retire?
Thanks

Hi Montana family,

Costa Rica is a great country.  I think it's great for children.  Here they can have the liberty we had when we were kids.

I'm located in Montezuma, in the Nicoya Peninsula and I'm Canadian.  I've been here for 26 years now.  I travelled all over Costa Rica at the beginning but I was always coming back here.  So I did the move.  Here I like it because it's the country, you can have ocean or mountain view, lots of fresh water.  I have access to the most beautiful beaches, Montezuma, Playa Carmen, Manzanillo, Santa Teresa in 30 minutes or less.  I don't have the noise of the tourism and it's safe, but yet I'm close of everything

The next little village is Cobano, 4k from my house. It's booming now.  It needs new ideas, new businesses.  You can rent a tico house around Cobano at a reasonable price.  As soon as you get close to the beaches, the rent gets higher.

If you are on a budget, don't plan to live like you are now in North America.  Your diet will change.  Imported food is expensive in Costa Rica. 

I have rentals but they are all rented.  I can forward you the information on a tico house for rent 3 k outside Cobano.  Have a look  costaricabeauty.com/viewprofile.aspx?i=2649&n=Casa-Rolo  . 

He's a friend and he would prefer to rent for long term may be he would give you a break.  I know about a lot of houses here.     

If this area is of some interest to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Good luck in your project.

P.S.  If you are Canadian, it can be very useful to register with the Canadian Embassy before you travel at travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration

I'm the warden for the Canadians in my area.

Gin

Hi Ginette
Can you make recommendations of cities?  I am reading of so many other people who all have their own preferences and am becoming confused.  Ideally I would love to wake up the morning, sit out on a deck with beautiful foliage around me, monkeys swinging in the branches and have a view of the ocean below.  Then still be close enough for a nice walk or short bus ride to the market.    I suppose the idea of getting my daily newspaper and coffee is out of the equation?  lol

Would you be so  kind as to provide a description of the following cities that others have recommended:   I haven't got a clue which would suite my needs.   I'm sure your input would help many others who read your reply!
Thanks!
Grecia
San Ramon,
Orosi, 
San Pedro,
Atenas,
La Garita

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

You can easily have all that in Montezuma, Mal Pais, Santa Teresa, Manuel Antonio, Samara, all beach villages. Except for the newspaper maybe.  Tamarindo is very nice also.  I like the ocean so the places I know more are on the ocean.

The rents are not cheap near the ocean.

I definitely suggest you rent at least 6 months before you make any decisions.  You can also rent a foot down in a place like Orosi or San Ramon and visit Costa Rica.

If you come by Montezuma, come and say hello. 

Gin

This comment is old, what's it doing here?  You can't visit Costa Rica for six months, three months is the maximum.

We tried that area of Costa Rica, it was too congested, plus we were always driving up and down steep roads just to get the over priced groceries Costa Rica is famous for.  We eventually settled on the coast near Parrita (Quepos).  I recall after only a couple of days, my wife and I looking at ourselves and saying "Why did we pick Grecia", it was a mistake.  The further south you go the more tropical it becomes, and we enjoy that, along with having less car pollution and noise.