Vacation Rental

My husband and I are coming to Panama in September for a week to see how we like the country and the possibility of moving there.

The rental lease I received is asking for our passport number.  Is this common?  My husband is a little hesitant about giving out the information.  Is there reason to worry?

Jan

I believe it is unlawful for anyone to rent residential premises for less than 90 days unless registered as a hotel.  This law is intended to prevent circumvention of hotel taxes and protect hotels in general.  I'm sure it happens, but you might already be dealing a bit with someone operating in the gray market.  That said, even hotels expect a copy of your passport.

I wouldn't worry-it's not linked to your $ records. I wouldn't worry necessarily about someone in the gray.

Hi Jan,

I'm also visiting Panama(City) in Sept (until the 10th) for the same reasons as you.  My wife, 2 kids and myself are planning a move sometime next year.  Maybe you (and other future expats) and I can meet up some place in Panama, have a drink, and exchange experiences. 

Cheers,
Joris

Good luck here when you arrive! I hope you and your family look around ALOT ...I have been here 32 years...and know the country quite well..as well as being tri-lingual...One should really know Spanish if you are going to live here! As I said....I am on the "way out"...and actually quite happy to be leaving. If we don't ever meet( I will be here until early Sept.)...I would just leave you with this advice when moving/traveling/staying anywhere around this country now-a-days....that advice would be:
"Watch your Six..!)

What are your reasons for leaving after so long?  I don't know what "Watch Your Six" means.   We will actually be spending most of our time around Coronado and not so much in Panama City.  I seem to be getting conflicting opinions.  Some people seem to love Panama and others not so much.

Just like anything else-some people love it, some don't. That's why you have to come and see for yourself...

Watch your six means watch your back...

Thanks. I learned something new today.

It is very common and the 90 day rule is in Panama City not in the beaches area.  You will want to make a copy of your passport and the page that is stamped when you enter Panama and keep it with you especially if you are driving.

I now know what watch your six means too!