Getting married in Pakistan

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Pakistan or who are about to get married in Pakistan to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Pakistan? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Pakistan)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

IF you are from the uk, to make it legle here you have must get a civil wedding. as a muslim wedding is not reconised here.

Hi haggishunter!

Thanks for your input ;)

Armand

There is a diff between hindu, muslim or a Christian wedding. What kind of wedding are discussing about?

Hi naiyersheen!

These are general questions meant to help expatriates.
So any info would be useful ;)

Thanks
Armand

Hi there ....I am very new here but I took me time to think and finally here i am.I wanted to tell you that i have a Pakistani boyfriend and we have more than three years in relationship already and now the time for him to propose marriage.Am a bit scared.I love him that much as much as he loves me . He wanted me to marry with him in Pakistan after coming from Australia .Within this year i will be going to Australia .
Any advise from you how and what to do before getting married to my boyfriend? His parents knew me so well cause we have constant communication.I am also willing to change my religion into Muslim.
Thank you.

Hi yvonne.
I would check if you need to have a cival marriage to make it leagle in australia. I had to have a cival wedding, we will have a muslim wedding. I have been married 2 years now.
Will you be staying in australia or pakistan after your wedding. If australia you need to find out the visa your husband will need to join you. For the uk it took 2 years to get his visa.
Please check this all out before you marry, they have a great wedding and a happy life together.

Thank you for immediate reply. Yes we will stay in Australia as planned by my boyfriend but he likes to have the marriage in Pakistan.
As i was reading the application for marriage in Pakistan ,one of the questions there were the dowry? or the thing that one will give to the family? Please explain to me explicitly regarding this.
Thank you.

That means will your husdand be giving you a dowry, and if it is money how much i think.

Well, go ahead if you love him. If you are to come back to Australia, then whats the big deal. You don't even have to change your religion (If you are willing then its ok)because he loves you and religion doesn't matters in love and friendships.

In Pakistan, dowry is from the girl side. But now days, the educated citizens deny getting dowry. If the marriage is for dowry, then  its just a business. I'm a Pakistani, and when i married my wife, who is a Pakistani too, i denied to get anything from the in-laws and still we are happy :)

yvonne Lardizabal wrote:

Thank you for immediate reply. Yes we will stay in Australia as planned by my boyfriend but he likes to have the marriage in Pakistan.
As i was reading the application for marriage in Pakistan ,one of the questions there were the dowry? or the thing that one will give to the family? Please explain to me explicitly regarding this.
Thank you.

When i got married my husband gave me a dowry, and im from the uk

Then i must say you are a lucky one. :)

haggishunter wrote:

When i got married my husband gave me a dowry, and im from the uk

My husband is from Pakistan, and I am from the United States. We had a civil ceremony in the U.S. and a small Nikkah (islamic ceremony), to make it legal here. The Nikkah was not necessary (islam only requires that you follow the local legal customs for making a marriage legal, although you may find some that would disagree with this). Anyway, it was something we decided to do. We will have a large ceremony in Pakistan later this year, and it sounds like it will be quite an affair to remember with multiple days of feasting, gift giving, socializing, and perhaps some dancing.

According to South Asian custom, my family could have given my husband a dowry. However, since we are a modern couple, and it is not part of my culture, we did not have any dowry agreement.

Dowry is a curse. A lot of girls cannot marry because the parents are not able to get them dowry. I wish the Pakistani government should take a necessary action. :(

Jamiezinha wrote:

My husband is from Pakistan, and I am from the United States. We had a civil ceremony in the U.S. and a small Nikkah (islamic ceremony), to make it legal here. The Nikkah was not necessary (islam only requires that you follow the local legal customs for making a marriage legal, although you may find some that would disagree with this). Anyway, it was something we decided to do. We will have a large ceremony in Pakistan later this year, and it sounds like it will be quite an affair to remember with multiple days of feasting, gift giving, socializing, and perhaps some dancing.

According to South Asian custom, my family could have given my husband a dowry. However, since we are a modern couple, and it is not part of my culture, we did not have any dowry agreement.

I agree. It seems to me that the price of a dowry is very very steep and prohibits many women from marrying. It is probably harmful to society at this point and the government may need to take some action.

Jamiezinha, as your hubby is from Pakistan, you do know that the Pakistani Government is not interested in these small issues of Community.
When I got married, I totally refused to have anything from my in-laws. Though they were like, insisting me to at least get some cash money but i remembered my own sister who has to get married one day. Anyhow, this is really sad and a dark side of Pakistan. :(

Jamiezinha wrote:

I agree. It seems to me that the price of a dowry is very very steep and prohibits many women from marrying. It is probably harmful to society at this point and the government may need to take some action.

Hi Jamiezinha,
Thanks for conducting the great discussion here on the form. Topic is really interesting, I would like to bring one thing in to kind notice of all of you that, Dowry is not the part of marriage, it is just one tradition and it's like a gift for the couple who is going to start there new married life. As everybody know, when a couple moves in to new house and starts their own life. They must need to have the daily use items at home which can give them support to become stable. This is the reason which introduces the Dowry system but unfortunately some time back, illiterate and greedy people misused this custom and made it business. Islam is totally denying this kind of act and never had been explained these things in Islamic religion. one important thing for the Girls; Islam has set the values for girls to be protect and honored by the husband through some sufficient amount (HAQ MEHAR)and Islam kept it as a major right of a bride on groom. Groom must have to pay the HAQ-MAHER to bride to make the relationship (HILLAL) legal. So, nothing to worry about the Dowry. It is a custom not the religious part. If your boyfriend loves you and you both are getting married by willing, there should not be any hesitation to get step. Go ahead and get marry and enjoy your married life. Best of Luck for both of you...
May GOD bless you.

Cheers,
Umair

Dear,
Islam doesn't require this kind of witnesses and according to my knowledge and information, Pakistani marriage law also doesn't seek this kind of evidence to get marry with someone. Evidences are not mature to prove anybody as a Muslim. If you are Muslim, defiantly Islam will be in your life and you aware of that. So, as much I know, if anything is stating in this matter, your future husband must has to take care of that before getting marry, you shouldn't bother about it.
Best of luck...

Cheers,
Umair