Hi. My name is Kevin (zaggman)

Hello all.  Thinking seriously about leaving Vancouver Island, Canada and bringing my business with me to live for several years and into retirement.  I have never been to Ecuador, but another businessman in the mall here in Nanaimo has a Condo in Salinas and he tells me it is very nice and the living standards are great.  However he is not conducting business there, so he is unable to fill me in on that subject.  So my question to anyone out there that has done this, could you be so kind as to educate me so I can make an informed decision.

Also, how often, if at all, do you have to return to Canada to retain Canadian citizenship, or can you just forsake that and stay indefinitely in Ecuador.

That's it for now folks.  Look forward to participating in this forum and thank you in advance for any and all assistance offered.

Kevin

Hello Kevin and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Good Luck,
Harmonie.

Hi Kevin,

You will be very welcome to my country, people is very nice and kind, but is better to have some contacts there. If you want to move with your bussines it will be better to go to Guayaquil. There are some malls/shopping centers  such as  Mall del sol, San Marino, Polcentro,  in the north, Mall del sur, etc.
Salinas is a small ciy, not so many population there but in winter (hot season) a lot of tourism. If you prefer a climate less hot then you can go to Quito or Cuenca.
I hope this help.

Bye

Whether or not you need to be in a large city depends on what you need to be able to conduct your business. You will find most things available in Salinas or you can make an occasional trip to Guayaquil.

You do not have to give up your Canadian citizenship to have residency in Ecuador. If you have all the correct papers when you leave Canada, obtaining residency is not all that difficult.

The only way to know if you would like living in Ecuador is to come visit.

Hi Kevin,

I am from Vancouver but settled into Ecuador. Far from being retired I see lots of business opportunities here. As Ecuador lacks customer service and quality.
I spent 2 years in Guayaquil and do not recommend going there. Salinas would be tough to start a business as it it small and most the properties are owned by the people from Guayaquil who come for their routine weekend holidays

Manta would be a better place to work. as it is the fastest going city in Ecuador has a beach, airport, shopping centre and port. 

Hope this helps.

David