Kuwait suspends family and visit visas -- any expats affected?

Hello, I am a content writer for Expat.com.  For an upcoming piece, we would like to know if any expats here have been affected by Kuwait's suspension of family and visit visas until further notice (for reference: https://www.zawya.com/en/world/middle-e … t-rv8ebkp4). Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences with us.

UP 2b06.svg

well, of course it affects everyone.

We cannot make a visit visa for my mother-in-law to visit us, the last time she came to see us was in 2020, before the .... hit the fan.

As a result of the latest ban, ticket prices skyrocketed, we paid 57KD for a one way ticket out of Kuwait last tuesday, a return ticket was 200KD.

It is becoming more and more difficult to live in Kuwait day-by-day, as someone who was born here over 3 decades ago, a constant 'expat', it becomes tiresome.

The current population is 30% locals, 70% expats. It is the wish of all to reverse the ratio, however, if one were to look at it rationally, this simply cannot be done. Let's assume Kuwait has a population of only 10 people, who work the following jobs:

DoctorEngineerAccountantTeacherCleanerMaidCheck-out clerkSalesmanBuilderSecurity guard

6 of the jobs above are not done by locals, and if you look at the population dynamics, you'll find a huge number of maids, almost 500-600K. So how would it be possible to shift the dynamics in such a way? Its not, its just constantly used as a rallying call.

The problem is not the population ratio.  The problem is, "What is the realistic vision for the country?".   And that is where the issue lies.  They are completely unclear about how they want to approach it other than blaming everything on expats and wanting them to get out.   Then you have these quick decisions which reflect the bias against expats in a bad light for the country.   And then people wonder why Kuwait is always rated as the worst country for expats in global surveys :).   

UAE has an even more skewed ratio of expats vs. locals but look at them today.  They make it work and as a consequence, they keep growing.

But has there been any focus on improving Government institutions?  developing a skill base?  diversifying the economy away from oil?  not really.  In fact it is interesting that a lot of talented locals leave Kuwait for good as they are not hopeful - this is not common for GCC nationals.

Thank you so much for your input!

I want to communicate with you on wathasap

Does anyone know when will this be resolved? I'm trying to get either family or visit visa.

@Hana Hodzic Omercevic probably by January, nothing definitive. they like to keep us guessing

@legacy thank you for your answer! I might as well find a job 1f923.svg Sounds like a more realistic option.

Any news here?

Madam I want to meet you please write to me when and where she'll i meet you

Hello Basitabdul200,

Who do you want to meet ? In any case,  I don't think that will be possible.

If you have any question, I suggest that you post it on the forum itself so that members can guide/help you.

Regards,

Bhavna

@Hana @Bhavna, Any further news on the opening of family visa for spouse and kids?

Hello Puneet,

Unfortunately, I don't have any news .... but our experts or knowledgeable members might guide you. What do you want to know please ?

Regards

Bhavna

@1985Puneet no puneet, as of now, there are no plans to open up visas as they once were. they are handled on a case-by-base basis, best bet for anything urgent is to plead your case at the office in Dajeej.

Hi

I would like to know if I cam bring my wife to live with me as I have been offered a job in kuwait and planning on moving

@legacy hi there, can you explain what is case-by-case? Some people has been successfully bringing their family in? Any criteria on that?

@Ameerah Arjanee article is dated August of last year.. currently only visa entry suspended is Filipino nationals

@legacy Hi dear.

In continuation to the formation of the new Government and further news in the local newspapers on the prospects of opening the family visa, any further news anyone or you have, in the group?

Thanks in advance.

@1985Puneet it is still not open; they are planning to review it, but no answer has been given where by expats can make visit visas for family.