Survey: Top Concerns of Pinoys: High Prices and Low Workers' Pay

"Top Concerns of Pinoys:  High Prices and Low Workers' Pay"

by Vito Barcelo and Vince Lopez  July 13, 2022  (Quote)  Manila Standard

Controlling inflation – which climbed to a three-year high of 6.1 percent in June – is the top concern of Filipinos now, a survey by Pulse Asia showed.

The survey, conducted from June 24th to 27th, showed that 57 percent of respondents want the Marcos administration to adopt measures to control the inflation rate.

“This is the leading national concern and is deemed urgent by majorities across geographic areas and socio-economic groupings .. ” Pulse Asia said.

Malacañang, for its part, said President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is ready to undertake measures that would help curb inflation. “We actually discussed inflation at the last Cabinet meeting and the president himself reported this, so he is actually ahead of the publication of the survey having anticipated this as a potential problem,” Press Secretary Trixie Cruz-Angeles said

The survey showed the next main issue that Filipinos want to be addressed is the need to increase the pay of workers (45 percent), followed by reducing poverty (33 percent), and creating more jobs (29 percent).

Other issues of concern are as follows: fighting graft and corruption (20 percent), ensuring law enforcement (15 percent), fighting criminality (14 percent), promoting peace in the country (14 percent), providing assistance to those affected by the pandemic (14 percent), addressing the problem of involuntary hunger (12 percent), reducing the amount of taxes paid (9 percent), addressing environmental degradation (7 percent), support for the restoration of small businesses (7 percent), territorial defense (7 percent), and containing the COVID-19 pandemic (7 percent).

The survey, with 1,200 respondents, has a margin of error of 2.8 percent at a 95 percent confidence level.

Earlier, Finance Secretary Benjamin Diokno said the high inflation (6.1%) in June was not a problem unique to the Philippines because other countries are suffering the same problem.

“Among our peers, Indonesia's overall inflation climbed to 4.4 percent in June from 3.6 percent in May. Meanwhile, Thailand's inflation rate increased to 7.7 percent in June from 7.1 percent in May.

Inflation in the Euro zone stood at 8.6 percent in June, the highest in 11 years.  Meanwhile, the United States' inflation rate in May reached a 40-year high of 8.6 percent,” Diokno said.

The increase in June was driven by increases in fuel and transport costs as well as higher prices for basic commodities. Diokno said the government would work to maintain price stability.

Among the measures aimed at easing inflationary pressures are the fuel subsidies for public utility vehicle operators and drivers. “Considering that oil prices are expected to remain elevated in the near term, the government will expedite the release of the second tranche of subsidies for the transport sector,” Diokno said.

--

Controlling inflation – is the main issue that Filipinos want solved.

Second act is to increase the pay of workers (45 percent), followed third by reducing poverty (33 percent), and fourth creating more jobs (29 percent).

The next issues of concern for Filipinos are as follows: fighting graft and corruption (20 percent), ensuring law enforcement (15 percent), fighting criminality (14 percent), promoting peace in the country (14 percent), providing assistance to those affected by the pandemic (14 percent), addressing the problem of involuntary hunger (12 percent), reducing the amount of tax paid (9 percent), address environmental degradation (7 percent), support for small businesses (7 percent), territorial defense (7 percent), and containing the COVID-19 pandemic (7 percent).   - @PalawOne
`
These wants and needs are what everyone wants and needs.

And, in the same or a similar order?

Not so different, i bet you1f600.svg

Posted by PalawOne. . .

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is ready to undertake measures that would help curb inflation.

The survey of 1200 respondents has a margin of error of 2.8% at a 95% confidence level.
1. Increase the pay of workers (45 percent),
2. Reducing poverty (33 percent), 
3. Creating more jobs (29 percent)
4. Fighting graft and corruption (20 percent),
5. Ensuring law enforcement (15 percent),
6. Fighting criminality (14 percent)
7. Promoting peace in the country (14 percent),
8. Providing assistance to those affected by the pandemic (14 percent)
9. Problem of hunger (12 percent) 
10. Reducing the amount of taxes (9 percent)
11. Addressing environmental degradation (7 percent)
12. Restoration of small businesses (7 percent)
13. Territorial defense (7 percent)
14. Containing the COVID-19 pandemic (7 percent).

Enzyte Bob: The probability of all this happening . . . . 0%

Posted by PalawOne. . .

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is ready to undertake measures that would help curb inflation.

The survey of 1200 respondents has a margin of error of 2.8% at a 95% confidence level.
3. Creating more jobs (29 percent)
4. Fighting graft and corruption (20 percent),
5. Ensuring law enforcement (15 percent),
6. Fighting criminality (14 percent)
7. Promoting peace in the country (14 percent),
8. Providing assistance to those affected by the pandemic (14 percent)
9. Problem of hunger (12 percent) 
10. Reducing the amount of taxes (9 percent)
11. Addressing environmental degradation (7 percent)
12. Restoration of small businesses (7 percent)
13. Territorial defense (7 percent)
14. Containing the COVID-19 pandemic (7 percent).

- @Enzyte Bob

Maybe he meant the survey of  1200 respondents had a margin of error of 95% with a 2.8% confidence level.
3. Creating more jobs (29 percent)  etc ...
- @Enzyte Bob
`
Actually, 'controlling inflation' was number one and 'increasing pay' was issue
number two.  But, otherwise, this is great work.  Thank you, friend Enzyte Bob.

And of course, you're boldly right ... any possibility of it ALL happening is zero.

But, one could say that's normal for any and all political parties the world over.

No political party anywhere world-wide could remedy each one of these issues.

What I'm more interested in is the quality of the real-world-issue understanding.

This range of issues for Filipino voters is stunningly wide and to me their order of
importance seems very sophisticated. They seem to have world-wide perspectives.

Indeed this issue-ranking of Filipino political concerns almost exactly match mine.

Thus on the world issues that really matter my Phils brothers & sisters and I agree.

Nice to know. And, I'd bet granny, your big-issue-importance list ain't so different?

1f600.svg1f600.svg
- @Enzyte Bob

Agreed....but then again
Like Buster Moon Says : When you've reached rock bottom, there's only one way to go, and that's up!
@PalawOne

This range of issues for Filipino voters is stunningly wide and to me their order of
importance seems very sophisticated. They seem to have world-wide perspectives.

The word 'sophisticated' and phrase 'world wide perspectives ' are alien to the average Filipino voter psyche. This is a Non Sequitur. The vast majority of Filipinos cannot name the capitals of their neighbouring countries let alone what is going on in the worldwide economy.

"Top Concerns of Pinoys:  High Prices and Low Workers' Pay" This phrase could have been written 20 years ago and probably was in all the nations print newspapers."

"Among the measures aimed at easing inflationary pressures are the fuel subsidies for public utility vehicle operators and drivers. “Considering that oil prices are expected to remain elevated in the near term, the government will expedite the release of the second tranche of subsidies for the transport sector,” Diokno said."

The above paragraph is par for the course of any emerging market economy like the Philippines but becomes an overriding necessity of a protected, sclerotic economy kept in an economic straightjacket by hitherto corrupt governments. If free market and investor friendly reforms  were put in place the resulting increased strength of the Peso would sterilise to some extent the higher cost of imports such as fuel that filter into higher prices.
- @Lotus Eater

This range of issues for Filipino voters is stunningly wide and to me their order of importance seems sophisticated. They seem to have world-wide perspectives.
The word 'sophisticated' and phrase 'world wide perspectives ' are alien to the average Filipino voter psyche .. The vast majority of Filipinos cannot name the capitals of their neighbouring countries let alone what is going on in the worldwide economy.
`
Your opinions of average Philippine voters are as may be, but such opinions are irrelevant.

Your average Phils voter in this survey shows an intelligent range of voting matters-of-importance.

They didn't call the viewpoints sophisticated, I did. Because their concerns are wide-ranging and on-point.

Maybe we should compare their proven voting thoughts and concerns to an average Trump voter's thinking?   

Anyway, on another matter Lotus, for the hand-to-mouth existence of a thirty million Pinoys, whose life or death depends on affordable fuels, stop-gap subsidies become essential.

Sure, over time I agree regarding free market solutions are the way to go, but starving 30 million is not humanly possible in an emergency quarterly short term

In an emergency, such as skyrocketing world fuel prices .. then second best and quick solutions right now.

The above paragraph is par for the course of any emerging market economy like the Philippines but becomes an overriding necessity of a protected, sclerotic economy kept in an economic straightjacket by hitherto corrupt governments. If free market and investor friendly reforms  were put in place the resulting increased strength of the Peso would sterilise to some extent the higher cost of imports such as fuel that filter into higher prices.  - @Lotus Eater
Your average Phils voter in this survey shows an intelligent range of voting matters-of-importance.

Well let's see now. Over the last 22 years two Presidents of this Republic have been indicted and incarcerated on corruption charges.

When I first visited the Philippines in January 2001 President Estrada was kicked out of office and later imprisoned. The only reason he was elected was because he had film star looks. Indeed he was an ex movie star. Filipinos lap this stuff up. They tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves.

They recently elected the son of President Marcos who ahem ‘ruled' for over 20 years and bankrupted the country. The pillaging of the countries coffers was done on such an egregious scale it made many African dictators blush.
The ‘sophisticated intelligent ‘ electorate of the Philippines have now with full knowledge of the fathers record in office elected the son who has made no amends for his fathers actions.

Err...agree it's tough but then again the show must go on....
1f60a.svg

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/marcos-partie … 40224.html
Well let's see now .. Presidents have been indicted and incarcerated on corruption charges .. The only reason he was elected was because he had film star looks. Indeed he was an ex movie (television) star .. The pillaging of the countries coffers was done .. +                                                      - @Lotus Eater
`

IwLdAhh.jpg
Like I said the show must go on....
Nothing to address here...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/newsinfo.i … r-meal/amp

What's holding the Philippines behind?

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/corruption-tr … 09113.html

While this is not a political site I tend to agree with Lotus Eater with regards to political preferences from the average Filipino's choices with who they elect. (seen it happen here) Sad. The writing is on the wall now. Let us pray the progeny doesn't repeat former mistakes and pillage in/from the Filipino people in this country.

Only time will tell but while I used to see Duterte on national tv all the time? Nada from the new electee and back to the the run ups? No policies or agenda.

Sure I am not a citizen nor have voting rights but I see what happened here in many countries, my better half keeps telling me to be patient and he will lead the country into prosperity.

Anyway, OMO. And don't lock me up for a simple observation.

Cheers, Steve.