Is it crazy to move to Manila with 2 toddlers??

Hello everyone!
My husbund is considering a great career opportunity in Manila but we are a bit on a fence for the most obvious reasons; it is considered not to be the safest country and natural disasters are quite scary... I would REALLY appreciate any insiders info about life in Manila with kids; do you feel safe, is it enjoyable experiance, how are the schools and most of all- how to you cope with taifun season??
Many tnx in advance...

Dear where on earth do you get your information?

With large metro areas like Dave,  Manila , and Cebu.. The Philippines is still ranked as one of the safest countries in the world.

Half the people in Manila have small children. Get serious. There are tons of attraction for the kids. Just know that any major city brings with it a security threat so do as you do at your home now... Be wise be safe. Philipinos don't go around shooting looting and robbing. I know Expats that have been here for over 10years and have never been involved in any hostile actions. I was proposition by a  prostitute once. I  also had a street kid snatch my cellphone and run but a stranger grab him up and gave me my phone back.

Enjoy your stay and try and get with other parents of small children so you can navigate much easier.

It wasn't until I saw that you were from Croatia did I realize why you were so concerned about the weather.

Typhoons aren't as bad as they are made out to be because the media does more to sensationalize the actual situation.

When you see the suffrage like you did in 2013 you see those who were way too poor to live in adequate homes and too poor to get out of the path.

Most storms here are just storms as long as you are in a sturdy house or structure  and you stay inside.. .just like winter storms but not a dangerous as a winter storm.

You may experience one or two  Typhoons a year living in  Manila but several tropical storms. It also rains a lot in Manila.

Many people with school age children say that the curriculum in the private school is not much different than in the public school... You will have to be the judge of that one. There are several international schools here.

It is going to be really crazy  moving in to any place with toddlers if u don't know how to handle them...they're a handful,i know,, been there ,done that...and danger is everywhere too,not just in the Philippines.It could even be worst somewhere else...people here are friendly and hospitable in nature.As long as u bring the right attitude with you expect the people around you to treat u and ur family well...sometimes its the attitudes that gets somebody in trouble u know.and about typhoons.its a normal thing here.it has its own season already.heheh,so we know when to expect them,,just be in a sturdy and high place and ur perfectly safe.We were hit by one of the strongest and biggest storms the world has been scared of,but Philippines did not break into pieces..so u say hi on upcoming storm and wave them goodbye when they go....as for schools for ur kids. there's a lot u could choose from.its good to let ur toddlers learn from heir environment, be with new friends and new people..just make sure u always take part and learn also from them ..installing the right values are one key,. Good luck and God bless! :)

Nmesqui wrote:

Hello everyone!
My husbund is considering a great career opportunity in Manila but we are a bit on a fence for the most obvious reasons; it is considered not to be the safest country and natural disasters are quite scary... I would REALLY appreciate any insiders info about life in Manila with kids; do you feel safe, is it enjoyable experiance, how are the schools and most of all- how to you cope with taifun season??
Many tnx in advance...

My husband, my then 1 year old son, and I moved here from America because of a very good business opportunity. I'm Filipino, so the move wasn't as unnerving to me compared to my husband, but still, unnerving. For us, it paid off to step out of our comfort zone. We are now living comfortably here. And we now have 2 children.

No country is safest. We used to live in San Francisco, California. The fear that the Golden Gate Bridge or the Bay Bridge would be blown up by some terrorist was always at the back of many San Franciscan's heads, including myself. Here in Manila, I do not have such fear. Really, would any superpower waste their arsenal on a 3rd world country? It's like: Would a professional sports team get any acclaim when they beat little league? 

"Manila" the city is often confused with "Metro Manila" the National Capital Region consisting of several urbanized cities. Generally, Metro Manila is safe. Some areas are safer than others. Anywhere in the Philippines, these two groups of people are unsafe: politicians (because they have enemies) and wealthy business owners / tycoons (because they are known to have tons of money). If you don't make enemies or act like a tycoon, you'll be fine. It would be unwise to insult locals or flash jewelry, money or expensive gadgets and designer bags, whether authentic or knock offs. 

Avoid get-rich-quick schemes and scams. Or "budul-budul." Research the modus operandi of various scams in the Philippines which can range from investing in fake oyster feed to exchanging jewelry for fake money. Be extra careful crossing the street because rules of traffic are different here.

There are certain areas in the Philippines that are deemed unsafe for foreigners, mostly down south of the Philippines. Look at a map and you will find that the so-called unsafe areas are islands apart from Metro Manila. Just don't tempt fate by going to those areas.

It's true that the Philippines is often visited by typhoons. But, those most affected by them are people living in low-lying areas, in shanties or houses made of light material. Most of the modern structures here are made of concrete. (Even houses that look like they're made of wood are actually concrete.) If you stay inside these, you'll be fine. The thing to watch out for are floods brought by rains. So pick a residence that's not in a flood prone area. And be prepared by stocking up on food, water, and an emergency kit and plan for your family.

The last typhoon that hit our area in Quezon City was "Lando" which brought strong winds, but not much rain. We were out of power for 18 hours because of the fallen tree that hit a power line. It wasn't a big deal for us. My parents live nearby and didn't have any power outages. The kids had a break from school, which gave them extra time to study for their quarterly exams. The only damage to our property: a small potted tree at our terrace got knocked over. Its clay pot broke. The tree is now okay in its new pot.

If you don't look like a local, sometimes, people would stare. This can feel uncomfortable, but you'll somewhat get used to it over time. You might even be approached by someone, complimenting you and your kids, and claim he / she's a talent scout and you and your kids could be in showbiz. Just say you're not interested.

Life can be crazy with just 1 toddler. All that running around, climbing, tantrums. And I've heard it's 3 times crazier with 2 toddlers. In the Philippines, you can hire someone for around 4k to 6k pesos to help you with the kids. I have a problem with my back, and at one time I tweaked it helping my little "mountain climber" get down from the back of the couch. Having a nanny really helped a lot.

There are many good schools in the Philippines. I enrolled my 2 kids in a better known private progressive school for a little over 100k pesos each per year per child. I found no need to enroll them in very expensive international schools (500k to 700k per year per child). If I ever do plan to send them to college abroad, it would be in California. And universities in California do not require the accreditation offered by international schools. What is your long-term plan for your kids, education-wise?  Would the accreditation be worth the extra cost, or would it be better to save it towards your retirement?

I try to make certain experiences as fun learning opportunities. For example, on our recent trip to the beach, my kids, age 8 and 5, learned what brings about high tides and low tides, more facts about gravity, and marine creatures. I try to inculcate in them more of a love for learning than just memorizing facts and numbers from a book. There are not that many public playgrounds in Metro Manila, but there are often paid play areas at malls.

Bring a copy of your kids' medical records, including their immunization records. You will need to present these to their pediatrician.

Young kids easily pick up on their parents' emotions. If you are happy, your kids will most likely be happy too.

Wow filmom that was awesome. Thanks for the insights. I'm sure you helped more than just that parent.

Koodos

Yes, indeed! Tnx to everyone for your valuable insights- they are truly appreciated. I am sure that all of you can understand all the thoughts that go trough a mothers head when planning for such a drastic move... I must admit, I am also a bit worried about missing our family here; my kids are especialy connected to their grandparents here and I am not sure they will be able to visit us there:/ also, when it comes to living in a gated community, is there anyone in particular that you would point out as the best for kids? As far as the schooling plans, our kids will most likely go to french school- anyone has direct experience or feedback on it? Tnx soooo much in advance!!!!

Children are everywhere and most foreign people here seem to have them at least where we are.  In One Serendra (BGC) it's like a paradise for kids but almost every building around here has a play space of some kind.  The Yayas (nannies) are always gathering with the kids under their supervision in the mornings and afternoons.  Look for a building or community with a safe playground of some kind where your toddlers can make friends.  Our social life here is better than almost anywhere because of so many foreign families with kids all in similar situations.  Look for a building with lots of foreigners.  Our building is full of Japanese, Koreans, Russians, some Australians and a few Americans.

Children are welcome, not just tolerated, at restaurants.  Having a nanny makes it easier to go out and about with little ones.  There are a couple books and guides for how to handle/employ a local nanny, called "yaya."  Look for a book if you are not experienced with this sort of thing.

Dear where on earth do you get your information?  -that might be a question you should ask yourself   -i dont know whos the dave ur referring to but philippines one of the safest in the world?   -get serious

@op -it might help if you say what part of manila ,to know what would be available to you .

greenetravel wrote:

Dear where on earth do you get your information?  -that might be a question you should ask yourself   -i dont know whos the dave ur referring to but philippines one of the safest in the world?   -get serious

He might be referring to this quote from Numbeo.com

Davao City is now the fifth safest city in the world, improving from its ninth-place ranking last month, according to the data released by crowd-sourcing survey site Numbeo.com.

However, that's only Davao, not the Philippines.

The same site has Croatia (Safety Index 70.96. 18th Safest) safer then the Philippines (Safety Index 63.11.  36th Safest)

I am not sure I trust those numbers though

Australia is ranked 56th safest with a Safety Index of 56.64.
But I have been robbed a few times during my 2-3 years in the Philippines, but have been very safe in my 25+ years in Australia

In the Economist Safest City Report, Davao isn't even in the top 50.
http://safecities.economist.com/whitepa … ite-paper/

Nmesqui wrote:

Yes, indeed! Tnx to everyone for your valuable insights- they are truly appreciated. I am sure that all of you can understand all the thoughts that go trough a mothers head when planning for such a drastic move... I must admit, I am also a bit worried about missing our family here; my kids are especialy connected to their grandparents here and I am not sure they will be able to visit us there:/ also, when it comes to living in a gated community, is there anyone in particular that you would point out as the best for kids? As far as the schooling plans, our kids will most likely go to french school- anyone has direct experience or feedback on it? Tnx soooo much in advance!!!!

One of the most stressful step you have to go through is the flight here. If two toddlers at home are already a handful, imagine them on a plane, where you will have to change diapers (if they still use them), feed them, wash them, deal with crankiness when they're sleepy or can't fall asleep. They could be like very well behaved kids you will be proud of, or give you one of the biggest headache of your life, with their tantrums, demands, sibling rivalries, or finding out what airplane seats taste like. Ewwww. Most toddlers are going to be somewhere in between. Bring stuff that could keep your kids preoccupied. Or toys that give them comfort about which they don't quarrel. Or their favorite food to make your flight more pleasant.  Or prepare them for the "adventure" without scaring them .

With modern technology, you and the kids can keep in touch with and see their grandparents, even everyday, through apps on your mobile like Viber or Skype. If the grandparents don't know how to use it, then now is the time to teach them. (My dad was at first intimidated of using a smart phone. But after getting a data plan and accidentally dialing my aunt's mobile in the US with Viber, he is now more updated than I am with what's happening to our relatives in the states.)  But still, there is nothing like being able to hug them. (My mother-in-law will be here for the first time early next year for a month. She hasn't met her granddaughter yet. She's very excited, and so are we.) 

I forgot to mention that typhoons are not really the major concern. More important to consider is the weather in general. The Philippines is a tropical country. It's really hot and humid here. It might look weird seeing people with umbrellas when there's no rain. It's for sun and heat protection. So prepare yourself and the kids for the heat and humidity. And sometimes, it rains heavily even when there's no storm / typhoon signal  or even when it's sunny. Then, there's micro climate where it could be dry and sunny in your area, but one or two kilometers away, it could be raining, and then another one or two kilometers, it's sunny again.

There are many gated communities in Metro Manila. The best would be one where there's no flooding, not too far from your work (traffic here is crazy, and even crazier when it rains), near the kids' school, and where there is not much traffic inside the subdivision and with wide streets so the kids can play outside, like say ride their bikes or throw ball. I hope you find one that's just right for your family.

ABCDiamond wrote:
greenetravel wrote:

He might be referring to this quote from Numbeo.com

Davao City is now the fifth safest city in the world, improving from its ninth-place ranking last month, according to the data released by crowd-sourcing survey site Numbeo.com.

However, that's only Davao, not the Philippines.

The same site has Croatia (Safety Index 70.96. 18th Safest) safer then the Philippines (Safety Index 63.11.  36th Safest)

I am not sure I trust those numbers though

There are so many crazy things happening in this world. Suicide bombers and terrorists open firing on crowds on the streets in a major city. It's really shocking. No city is safe. And certain cities are choice targets for this type of activity.

A few days before this horrendous act happened, I stated this in a previous post : 

"No country is safest. We used to live in San Francisco, California. The fear that the Golden Gate Bridge or the Bay Bridge would be blown up by some terrorist was always at the back of many San Franciscan's heads, including myself. Here in Manila, I do not have such fear. Really, would any superpower waste their arsenal on a 3rd world country? It's like: Would a professional sports team get any acclaim when they beat little league?" 

City ranking is irrelevant to me. And even more irrelevant to me is country ranking. Just because a few cities are unsafe doesn't mean the entire country is unsafe.  We do not live in countries per se, but cities and towns.

Personally, I'd rather have my family stay put here in our stomping ground in Quezon City than move back to San Francisco, even though the US may be ranked higher safety-wise than the Philippines.

I think these safety issues are more concerned with personal safety; being robbed, attacked, car accidents, pedestrian accident etc.

And this is very dependent on specific location.

Comparing personal experiences of life in the locations I have lived in UK, Australia and Philippines, I would put Australia as the safest and Philippines as the worst. 
However...  By using my knowledge of these countries, I could find places in each country that are safer than either of the other two, and also places that are worse.
So it does come down to knowledge of the countries.  But also being able to choose those safer areas, which is not always possible, due to other reasons.

Manila, being the location in question, has varied areas, some very safe, but some very undesirable.  I often wondered why the Manila taxi drivers insist on locking the doors.

Im a Filipino but I discourage you.And by that, I mean strongly discourage you. Seen the news lately? Who knows, you might've not yet left the NAIA airport upon arrival and you will already be a victim of those crooks. Still wanna be there? Pathetic Country.

That could only mean two thing. its either the driver has plan to let you sniff the mist from where he will spray inside the car and next thing you know, ta dah! all your valuable items abracadabra. and the other is, so you wont escape, when another person, the drivers accomplice, comes in and do their evil deeds. That's the Philippines!

Paul_DL wrote:

That could only mean two thing. its either the driver has plan to let you sniff the mist from where he will spray inside the car and next thing you know, ta dah! all your valuable items abracadabra. and the other is, so you wont escape, when another person, the drivers accomplice, comes in and do their evil deeds. That's the Philippines!

I disagree very strongly.  Central locking systems can be opened by the passenger inside, but not from outside.

Most taxis I have used, and that has been many, have been very good.  A few have ripped me off on the cost, but I am sure the locking of the doors is to prevent anyone else getting in during traffic, after seeing a Westerner inside, and snatching bags etc.

Pockets being picked on trains and public markets was my main annoyance, with several phones lost. But never lost anything using taxis.

I'm sure as a mother of small children you are very hypervigilent... That being said all major cities are crime ridden all over the world.

It seems like you already know that. What it also seems like is that you want a general synopsis of the area.

However, your question brought out the fear mungers. Let me say this. As long as you keep your wits about you your stay will be pleasant. Befriend the likes of Filmom and others like her so you can have a large circle of friends. Keep your ears open for activities in and around the area.

By and large this country is extremely safe. I brag about how safe it is here in my little town. But, guess what?  Last week one of my neighbors was shot and killed. I was feeding my pigs at around 10pm heard the shots but simply dismissed it as fireworks. Next day I was informed that one of my neighbors was killed. He was a ex PNP who was running for office... I never met him because I don't associate with political figures or wealthy business people...

They tend to live dangerously here... So keep with the working class and your only complaint will be brown outs and traffic jams.

It's more fun in the Philippines

sirrobcentral wrote:

I'm sure as a mother of small children you are very hypervigilent... That being said all major cities are crime ridden all over the world.

It seems like you already know that. What it also seems like is that you want a general synopsis of the area.

However, your question brought out the fear mungers. Let me say this. As long as you keep your wits about you your stay will be pleasant. Befriend the likes of Filmom and others like her so you can have a large circle of friends. Keep your ears open for activities in and around the area.

By and large this country is extremely safe. I brag about how safe it is here in my little town. But, guess what?  Last week one of my neighbors was shot and killed. I was feeding my pigs at around 10pm heard the shots but simply dismissed it as fireworks. Next day I was informed that one of my neighbors was killed. He was a ex PNP who was running for office... I never met him because I don't associate with political figures or wealthy business people...

They tend to live dangerously here... So keep with the working class and your only complaint will be brown outs and traffic jams.

It's more fun in the Philippines

It is good for me to avoid getting involved in any local or national politics, as it can be both frustrating and dangerous.  The only such violence our family has been subjected to was last year a family member was killed in an early morning argument over who could fish where.  I won't be doing any fishing, never wanted to in  the first place, will let it to the local experts.

Very well said. That's a very detailed helpful tip for our friend in need. :-) I wish I could meet you when I get home in Manila. Stay safe.

then its good for you....

Is a great place to live with kids, we have 2 and is really nice for them to be here

Lalabell wrote:

Is a great place to live with kids, we have 2 and is really nice for them to be here

What part of Manila ?

Some areas are great for foreigners with kids, but some are not.

Some population density comparisons:

Population of Metro of Manila in 2010 was 11,855,975
The density was 19,000 people per square kilometre

Population of the City of Manila in 2010 was 1,652,171
The density was 42,858 people per square kilometre

New York City Population 8,491,079
Density 10,756  people per square kilometre

Greater London Population 8,538,689
Density 5,432  people per square kilometre

Sydney, Australia Population 4,840,600
Density 380  people per square kilometre

Stay in rockwell makati or greenbelt.if coming from usa you will be fine

Stay away from the Philippines , especially Manila ,been robbed already 2 times(house robbery).
We stayed there for  a few years and we go back to our country of origin, even my wife is Filipina , she don't like to live there anymore.
Everybody is so full of : that Filipinos are friendly!!!!! that's true , but friendly to look what is in your wallet.
Wherever you go in Manilla there is visible criminality ,extortion , prostitution ,
scams ,corruption..............
And don't forget the pollution there , I have no words to describe this.
The only thing good in the Philippines is the cost of live , you can go a long way with your foreign money.
For the rest......I have nothing positive to tell.
People who say that the Philippines are safe!!! , don't now about what they talk.
Davao , however is a safe place to stay , because the mayor there is highly respected and hard lined  his motto is (safety first)

lucky you

I have been in Manila (Makati mostly) 3 times now, and i must say the air is verry bad there. I have friends there whos gets allergies (spots everywhere on the body) bc of the bad air. A lot of traffic and verry noisy to. I would never let my kids live there. Maybe someone else knows a better area in Manila? Thats my experience! Good luck!

Been to davao you are rite about the mayor and city.i was suprized

You need to visit Manila before making a decision -
Life in the Philippines can get very frustrating and there are issues with housing, education and healthcare .
A good education is expensive and the standards are very different from the real world
Housing can be difficult as Philippine standards are again lower
Being a foreigner is also problematic  and you will find making Filipino friends difficult  unless you pay for everything
So it's important to visit and look at schooling and housing - experience the traffic and appalling roads and driving - the decide
Good luck

Interesting Thread.  I'm also considering moving to Manila, My partner is from there and I've visited once, going back again July 2016.  We have a 7 year old son and my partner has a large family who are all in great employment and live a nice healthy lifestyle.  I'm hoping to invest in property out there with a view to moving permanentley within 2 years.  Reading this thread has answered some concerns but I also have other worries.  Having been before, I can recall my partner and her family telling me to remove any jewelery or watches before heading out, even to her brothers house, literally around the corner.  I'm looking to set up a photography business whilst out there but am concerned that if wearing a simple watch is a risk, how am I going to carry my camera about without the worry of getting it robbed?  My partners brother was approached by a gunman right outside his house and forced to hand over the keys of his brand new car at gunpoint.  So there are obvious concerns.  We are both in our 40's and I'm just sick of Life here in the UK and I'm lucky to have some saving to be able to live a comfortable life in Manila. I did travel around a bit during my time there and visited Boracay and Laguna to name a few.   Another thing, last time I was there, after the first 2 weeks, the pollution hit me, I found it difficult to sleep and was coughing constantly, it really is heavy out there and for anyone who knows the area.. the place I stayed in for the most part was an area called Blumentreet.

Well how interesting it is to read these varied posts!
I am an Aussie that is wanting to move to the Philippines but now I am having second thoughts. I was thinking somewhere in the Visayas but I am not really sure now.
It amazes me how people move to a country then continually complain about how unsafe it is and everyone is out to rip you off but they still remain in that really bad place!
I am totally unhappy living in Australia where I was born and bred 60 years ago so I am leaving. Simple as that! I am tired of being ripped of here for everything. 4 weeks ago I went to Manila for dental work as it was just over 80% less to have it done there and I had a holiday in the process.
We are so heavily taxed in this country, we pay so much for our food, our taxis, public transport, education, social beers in a pub, clothing, services etc etc. I could go on but I wont.
The cost of living here in Aust. is far beyond so many countries in the world so I am bailing out. My wife is Filipina so I decided that the Phils would be a great escape for us.
I would be interested to hear from people living in the Visayas about where the nicest places to live there are. Cebu is high on my list but I am open to suggestions.
If you have read this post, thank you!

steveinoz wrote:

Well how interesting it is to read these varied posts!
I am an Aussie that is wanting to move to the Philippines but now I am having second thoughts. I was thinking somewhere in the Visayas but I am not really sure now.
It amazes me how people move to a country then continually complain about how unsafe it is and everyone is out to rip you off but they still remain in that really bad place!
I am totally unhappy living in Australia where I was born and bred 60 years ago so I am leaving. Simple as that! I am tired of being ripped of here for everything. 4 weeks ago I went to Manila for dental work as it was just over 80% less to have it done there and I had a holiday in the process.
We are so heavily taxed in this country, we pay so much for our food, our taxis, public transport, education, social beers in a pub, clothing, services etc etc. I could go on but I wont.
The cost of living here in Aust. is far beyond so many countries in the world so I am bailing out. My wife is Filipina so I decided that the Phils would be a great escape for us.
I would be interested to hear from people living in the Visayas about where the nicest places to live there are. Cebu is high on my list but I am open to suggestions.
If you have read this post, thank you!

And if your wife is a born in the Philippines still a citizen Filipina, then if you arrive with her you can stay for a year with a stamp on your passport, no need for a visa or dealing with Philippines Immigration.   Just take a holiday outside the Philippines once every 12 months and you are good to go .

Expats get great opportunities in the Metro since there has been a lot of expat communities here that will make you more comfortable living here and more relatable.

You need to select the right place you want to live in Manila.

If you choose to live with Manila's elite residence like class A subdivision, then you are 100% safe.
As long as you will not visit those slum area then you are safe.

If you want to conduct business in Manila, you need to deal only with professionals.  They give much recognition to their reputation. If you need workers belong to non-professional, you need to ask help from professional friend. Let them deal with the locals.

When you find people that can be trusted, you should take of them. Honesty and real friendship are hard to find.

I strongly recommends Bohol province if you want a scenic beaches and provincial surrounding.
Boholano are known friendly people.

But if you want to do business, you need to stay in the City of Cebu. Depends on your target customers.

if you want more advise.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Share contact infos only in private please.

Just choose a class A subdivision and for sure you will not have any business going to slum or depressed areas, so no worries.

Philippines is a good place to stay  people are very  hospitable and friendly  ..there are part of the Philippines that I think not safe for foreigners its in a remote  area in Mindanao  ..makati is the best place to stay  for expats ..you don't have to worry coz there's a lot of expats here..

hi reading ur post got me thinking of the place where u been when u were here..then finding out at the last part that uve been to blumentritt,,well,,honestly,,its one of the places in manila that is not really foreigner  or even local friendly..too much crowded and its not too safe nt only for you but also for some locals.so please do not be traumatized with all that happened before when u were here.your wife cautioned you not to wear jewelries or even expensive watch simply because she knows the place is not that safe..but its not like that everywhere..there still are some really safe and nice place in the Philippines.Just like in almost country, there still are places that you should not go or avoid.Makati for instance is  a safe place.u can to go to the park anytime without worrying about anything,,u can sit and read a book or jog around and also meet some expats living around the area.(this is around serendra and salcedo ok).But still to be safe,try not to wear too much jewelry or bring out too expensive gadgets especially in  very crowded places, not only for expats but also for some locals.Philippines is a very  nice place but just like any other places .u need to be observant.its all gonna be different from where u came from but its nice once u get to know some locals,customs and how to go about  with things .u should also try to learn some tagalog.u need not speak ,just to be able to atleast get some hints what people around you are talking about.and some courteous words like salamat-thank youu will surely get a really warm smile from people.Good luck and God bless!

In our building itself, there are a lot of expats with families who lives comfortably.