Moving to Turkey Healthcare/Renting/Family

Hi Everyone!!

My name is Hakim and I'm coming from the US to live in Istanbul for a year. I'm bringing over my wife and two kids so I'm really excited! I am Software Engineer and plan on continuing my work while staying in Istanbul.

I did have some questions, and hope anyone here could help!

For renting, was it easier to find an agency to assist you? I don't speak any Turkish and the only sites I've found are usually 45% mark-up from sahibinden. Sites likes blueground.com.

For healthcare, how did you find an insurer? I'm pretty positive my US health insurance will not work in Istanbul.

Then my last question, has anyone enrolled their kids in expat schools? I have a soon to be pre-schooler and I'm wondering if its cheaper to find a private tutor.

Thanks for any help!!

Hi hakim,

Welcome to Turkey. I hope you will enjoy very much.

For renting, the most ideal sites are sahibinden.com and hepsiemlak.com.

But, in Turkey, some landlorders are reluctant to rent for ecpats. They may demand 12 monthly advance payment, a Turkish guarantor, two month rent price depisito.

Blueground.com is expensive and is not suitable for you. Because you will stay for e year in Turkey. Blueground is preferable for short term renting.

In Turkey, insurance sector is pretty developed. No worry. There are plenty of decent insurance firms. Axa, aliance, ak sigirta, anadoku sigorta, etc.

I advice you review the articlec below before moving to Turkey. By searching in google you can find other alternative posts also

https://aalrealty.com/blog/categories/moving-to-turkey/https://aalrealty.com/blog/categories/living-in-turkey/

Best regards

Hi bkont,

Thank you for you response, I greatly appreciate it!

Yes, I figured that I would need to pay more for being a foreigner. Are there rental agency companies or Emlaks for expats? I wouldn't mind paying more just for comfort.

What insurance is most respected?

Also, are there any Immigration companies for expats to help with Residence Permits?

I appreciate your help!