Flash Explaratory Visit Summer 2021

Dear anyone,

My wife and I are seeking to undertake a 'flash' exploratory visit to TZ in July/August 2021. This is with a view to a long term move IF things seem right after the trip and we formulate a plan based on some due diligence.

My wife has visited before in 2019 and fell in love with what she experienced. This visit is not really meant to be touristic in nature (although a weekend break in a nice hotel would be nice for me!). However, the main thrust is to examine which areas would be most feasible to plant roots, accomodation, business/investment opportunities etc. So, here is the criteria I would welcome any friendly advice or insight into:

1. Would Dar obviously be the best starting post for this type of exploration?
2. What about provincial cities, such as Mwanza?
3. Would staying at Air BnB's be the most affordable accommodation solution?
4. Is Air travel the only real feasible option for getting around or are there good ground level options?
5. What are some good ideas for low level business investments to gain a foothold there? So for instance, if we had £1000 to invest there initially, what would be good to set up? Buy small plot of land, a tiny empty retail space?
6. Is applying for a business Visa a good idea BEFORE going? Will we have enough time between now and end of July to recieve it?
7. Are there are any expat communities we should link with in DAR on arrival in order to network?

Planned dates of travel are around July 22 to August 23rd.

Thanks for any advice anyone can afford.

My husband and I are doing the same thing - calling it our recon mission!  We will be there in July/August also, exploring the Arusha area, with plans to actually relocate later in the fall, perhaps October.  I will send you a separate message with a lot of my notes in hopes that it can be of help.  In case you plan to be in Arusha, too, we will have to meet in person for drinks one evening!

Hello,

I really appreciate you reaching out! Look forward to hearing about your adventures and yes who knows may bump into you along the way if things work out.

Regards,

T

Welcome Arusha, feel at Home whether here is good, Pendemic is down. Hope you will enjoy your Trip

Antipas

Me again!  I noticed on another thread on this forum someone else planning to move/visit Zanzibar this summer (and they are from the UK also) - they booked their trip and then had to cancel because Zanzibar (therefore TZ in general I presume) is on the Red list in the UK.  So you may want to verify that before booking your ticket.  After I wrote yesterday we just this morning decided to delay our plans by about 2-3 months - instead of doing an exploratory trip we're just going to go for it and make it work but waiting until later in September to do so.  That will save us one trip and a lot of money!  Here's the link to the other thread on this forum that I referenced above... hope it works!
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 21#5135646

Here situation is ok my Friend no need to worry!! Who put it in Red, A lot of People came and go!! I will writte something inbox.

Hi again,

I hear you on the plan change, that's a big call but I understand your reasoning. Yes, TZ is on this so-called RED LIST nonsense (sorry I dont do Covid but sadly it does me!). I have built the 'quarantine' factor into the planning anyway as I will be off from work for 6 weeks during the UK summer.

Ok well, hope things do work out for you and if we can pull this trip off you will at least have our insight ot draw on!

Regards,

T

Oh, it's the UK GOVT trying to dictate and control peoples freedom of movement by using this so-called 'pandemic' as an excuse, I'm afraid.