Tanzania Driving License

Wld anyone pls tell me the procedure to obtain the "Driving License" in Tanzania..Can people wth international driving license drive in Tanzania?? If so, for how long??

Thanks,

Mak

Hi there,

If you have an international drivers license, all you do is go to the Drivers license office,(you can ask around in town, where exactly it is)  show them you have a license, pay 10,000 tzs (about 8 usd) and then they will give you your new license. Oh and you also have to bring with you 2 passport photos. You can usually get these made somewhere in town, but it is easier if you carry a bunch around with you. It seems they are needed with every kind of document in TZ. I think the license is good for about 3 years.
Hope this helps,
BonnieTZ

Thanks. Ur a great help.

Cheers

Mak

Hi, Sounds like you have some good knowledge there! Do you know what the situation is regarding taking a driving test in Tanzania in order to get a local license? Are there many places around that can do that, and can foreign nationals traveling there for extended periods of time do that? Would really appreciate any advice you have!
Thanks,
Joel

It depends whether you are a visitor or residence permit holder. Please let me know. I can tell you how to do that. Do not engage touts and you will end up jail when you show the licence as many of them are fake ones.

cybermars,

i am resident permit holder here in dar-es-salaam and i want to get local driver's license but i left my professional driver's license from my country. can still apply?

thanks>

tiborcio

Yes. You need the photocopy of your driving licence (your country)which should have the class of vehicle which you intend to get it locally. Get it from the respective locations like Moshi means you should live in Moshi.

Hi I will be in Arusha at the end of January. I will be there for six months or longer I am a US citizen is it possible for me to get local drivers license there?

Thanks

Hi

I arrived in Dar last friday and obtained a driving license early the next week. As I understand it an International Driving LICENSE is not sufficient to drive in Tanzania but an International Driving PERMIT (which can be obtained from the AA in your country of origin) is.In addition you cannot drive on your country of origins driving license.

For me the procedure to get a Tanzanian license was simple (mainly thanks to the incredibly helpful supervisor, Sylvester) although you'll need to put aside a couple of days to go through all the tape.

The driving licensing office is on the 1st floor of the Tanzanian Revenue Authority building (Samora House) located on Samora Avenue in central Dar es Salaam.

I showed my British driving license, passport and visa. I then filled in an application form (attaching photocopies of the above), had my photo and finger prints taken. Went down to the Traffic Police HQ (about a 5 minute walk away on Sokoine Drive) where it was simply a case of the police approving our papers (I think that standard procedure is for some sort of road awareness test although luckily for us Sylvester had phoned ahead and we were ushered straight in and straight out with approved papers). Back to Samora House to get a bank paying in slip then off to the CRDB bank a few minutes further down Sokoine Drive than the Traffic Police HQ to deposit 40,000TSH (£16GBP).

Returned to Samora House the next day after 10am to find a newly printed pristine Tanzanian driving license awaiting me, now I just need to find a 4x4...

Oh and make sure you tick class B for normal saloon cars and class D for 4x4s

I asked my security guard in my mine, we went to Dslm police headquarters gave the police chief $30us he signed my paperwork I went across the street they took my picture and the next day I got my Dr . vehicle category B and D it expired in 2015

i was gotten same day only 20,000 shilling all category

Can anyone assist? I have been trying to get a TZ drivers licence for sometime  now and all I get is that I need to pay 150,000tsh which to me is just extra high. I read on the TRA websites that for non residents it's 40,000 tsh. I don't mind paying a bit above that to get my licence within a couple of days but 150,000 to me is just extortion especially when my swahili is not that good and am non resident. Is there anyone who can hook me up with a reliable contact to assist me please. Many thanks

All you have to do is go to TRA  with the followings - photocopy of passport, photocopy of valid visa , Foreign driving licence/ expired Tanzanian driving licence, Tshs 40,000 and Fill application form for driving licence
After TRA has accepted your applications and payments are made , you must go to Police station with a car for driving test and then you go back to TRA to take your driving licence

Thanks for the update and how long does it take to get the drivers licence.. 2/3/4/5/6 days???

Within a week!!

Ok that's great

Ok

Gudluck !!

At TRA and am being told to get my licence tomorrow I need to pay 120000tsh😳.. imma just take my documents home and forget about it then .. 😞😞

They tell you that cuz they want something from you, sorry that's how Africa is but if you follow the procedures , you will get it for Tshs 40,000 within a week or if you want it so quick , they will charge you high

Yea that's right but the 120000 is just high.. anyway the survival instinct in me kicked in and maybe I might get it today.. I will update you when I leave here

Ok

Finally got the licence yesterday.. in summary I didn't give in to the 120,000 but tipped the guy who directed me to the right persons 10,000 and the man who made sure I got it same day 20,000. This is apart from the 40,000 tsh, ( drivers licence fee), 20,000 (two classes of licence B and D)  6,000 driving test fee ( which I never did) .. good experience considering I don't understand swahili that much. I spent two hours at the TRA millenium tower office.. and walked out with a brand new TZ licence 💪🏼😀

Congratulation man!

Are the procedures still the same to get my TZ licence. Currently a US licence holder. I'm hardly driving rn because of no licence. I'm a resident here now.

Hello SageDreams,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

As you should have noticed, this thread has been inactive since 2017 which makes the chances of your getting any information very low.

I suggest you start a new thread on the Tanzania forum to ask your questions. Members are more likely to reply to new discussions.

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl thank you Cheryl. I will do that.