Driver's License / Umschreibung

Hi everyone,

I'm considering moving back to Stuttgart - I grew up there - after 20 years away.

Obviously as a working adult, I would probably need to drive - at least occasionally, despite the relatively good transport. The good thing is I've had a license and driving experience in several countries for some 20 years now. The bad thing is my original license is from a US state that has no reciprocity with Germany - yay, California... :(

Anyway, I've figured out I have to go to a to a driving school and get their help to sign up for the theoretical and practical exam. The thing is, most of them only give info (and prices!) on the regular course load. Does anyone know any driving schools in Stuttgart or around Stuttgart that has some sort of special courses or shortened process for expat folks like myself?

With four military bases and crazy much internationalization in the last 20 years, I'm perplexed there's not more on offer online...

Thanks in advance!

I had that situation myself but it was over 25 years ago. I was in Heidenheim then and only had to take a couple of hours of practical instruction since they knew I had previous experience and a license. Basically these schools are trying to rip you off by such demands. I don't know any place off-hand to recommend but there are many such schools so keep looking around until you find one that that will offer something reasonable that fits your needs. And you will be able to drive with any valid US license for the first 6 months upon registering. This should give you time to figure things out.

But honestly, the written exam is easy for one with experience. One can get a study book and learn it on their own – no need for classroom instruction. And one is allowed to take the written exam in different languages including English if you want although the level of German needed is very basic. . The practical test was more stressful because they nit-pick on a number of things, some done differently than elsewhere. These are the things one should learn in a session or two from a good school.

But you mention having other licenses. Don't any of them have a reciprocal provision with Germany? If so, that your original one is from California would seem irrelevant. But that there are still US bases around Stuttgart doesn't affect the driving schools because the US military are exempt from needing to get a German license. They and their family members are not officially residents of Germany but allowed to be here under a special agreement and get to use their American licenses as long as they are on active duty.

Hi Tom,

thanks so much for the quick and helpful reply. I guess, I'll just have to shop around a bit till I find things.

I am fluent in German, so the language thing is not an issue. Neither is the driving, as I've been living in Austria for 6 years now - and traveled to and through Germany a plenty! - so I'm not worried about the actual tests (will practice the theory stuff a bit since I know the names of the various car parts mostly in English - I mean, who cares what I call them as long as I know how to use them, right?). It's more that I don't want to be ripped off by the Fahrschule for something I already know how to do.

As for the other license, my Austrian license was given to me based on a 'prüfungsfreier Austausch', which according to the ADAC makes it invalid after the 6 months since the original license on which it is based is not recognized in Germany....it would've been nice if I could've done that, but I guess they figured out and closed that loophole. :(

P.S. And I totally didn't think that the military folks are exempt. Makes sense of course.

catsy83 wrote:

Hi Tom,

As for the other license, my Austrian license was given to me based on a 'prüfungsfreier Austausch', which according to the ADAC makes it invalid after the 6 months since the original license on which it is based is not recognized in Germany...

I would certainly double check with the German licensing officials. The ADAC is a useful organization but has no actual authority in such a matter. And I don't really see the logic. One has a right to exchange another EU country license for a German one. So if the Austrians considered it good enough to issue one, then who are the Germans to say different and make a Austrian license conditional.  The equivalency for a EU standard was already accepted by Austria.

Hi Tom,

I agree with you that it's a bit of a bullshit rule. But unfortunately the law is written the way the ADAC says - I checked the Fahrerlaubnis VO. I'm a lawyer, so I figured I should be able to figure this out. :)

Sect. 28 (4) of the FEVO says, among other things, that no recognition will be given to a license issued by another EU state "deren Fahrerlaubnis aufgrund einer Fahrerlaubnis eines Drittstaates, der nicht in der Anlage 11 aufgeführt ist, prüfungsfrei umgetauscht worden ist..."

Technically, you'd think that the EU laws would mandate recognition, but the states actually have some discretion here. Article 11 (6) says specifically "Where a Member State exchanges a driving licence issued by a third country for a Community model driving licence ... If the holder of this licence transfers his normal residence to another Member State, the latter need not apply the principle of mutual recognition set out in Article 2."

I feel like in cases where one state recognizes a foreign license but another doesn't, it should at least be made easier for folks, like, maybe if they lived and driven in that first EU state long enough, but that's not a path Germany has taken to date.

So I'm a SOL. I will still ask the local agency - I suppose the TÜV , no? - just to be sure when I hopefully move back. But I'm not expecting a miracle unless Germany suddenly changes its laws.

Thanks again for the input.

It's the local Kraftverkehrsamt most likely.

New applicants have to go to the Bürgerservice and the Bürgerservice then forwards the papers to the Kraftverkehrsamt.

When we moved back from Scotland, our Bürgerservice asked us to directly go to the Kraftverkehrsamt since things were a bit more involved.

The TÜV is responsible for examining the safety and emissions of vehicles, nothing to do with the drivers licenses. That should be the Führerscheinstelle - but like ALKB mentioned, one likely can do inquiries over a Bürgerzentrum. And worth asking since the different German States often interpret things differently. 

But that a driver school can offer limited hours of instruction to get a previously licensed person up to par should be allowed in Baden-Württemberg unless the rules have changed since I did it.

The Führerscheinstelle in Stuttgart is in Feuerbach and combined with the KFZ-Zulassungsstelle which is the authorities to registering vehicles. Here is their contact data:

Führerscheinstelle
Krailenshaldenstraße 32
70469 Stuttgart
Postanschrift
Amt für öffentliche Ordnung, Führerscheinstelle
70161 Stuttgart
Tel. 0711 21698189
fuehrerscheinstelle@stuttgart.de

@ Stuttgart Expat. The issue on this thread is not language since the driving exam is offered in multiple ones including English, as are learning materials for preparation. And driving instruction offered in English is also not uncommon but off topic here.

The subject was the possibility of exchanging a foreign license for a German one. This is usually easy if it is from another EU country. Otherwise, there is a list. The USA is complicated because it is done there by State and there is no national standard. The result is that an exchange is possible from some States, others not and for some it is partial. This can vary if it is the written or practical exam that is skipped or neither but a lower number of driving school hours required done in a German school.