Need Vehicle/Transportation Ideas for 3 Month Stay In Germany

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a 3 month stay near Pirmasens Germany. Other than using rental car companies, are there any other options? The rental car companies want approximately 3K per month and you can only rent for 30 days at a time.

If you are registered as resident, you can try car sharing or leasing.

But as tourist, there might not be any other option than rental cars.

Of course, the obvious altternative (given Europe good public transport) is not having a car at all (or renting it by the day only when needed).

@rodnbarb

We moved to Germany and can't get a car loan, so we've had to long term rent a car from Europcar, which has worked fairly well. But, recently we ran into issues because we didn't have an international driver's license. So, get an international driver's license quickly from AAA, just in case you need it. But, meanwhile, you may be able to reserve/rent a car via Europcar for 3 months. The only issue is the limited mileage. You will have to pay for extra mileage, so watch out for that. If you are renting electric, it will cost you in the end because charging will be expensive and will be a hassle. Go with gas, is my suggestion.

Hello,
My wife and I are planning a 3 month stay near Pirmasens Germany. Other than using rental car companies, are there any other options? The rental car companies want approximately 3K per month and you can only rent for 30 days at a time.

-@rodnbarb

I think several French car makers offer leasing options for up to six months to non-EU nationals who are not residents of the EU.

I don´t know the exact terms. Do a search on Eurodrive, for example.

Hello,

-@rodnbarb

I did a quick search on a site that compared different rental companies, a small or medium sized car is available from multiple companies for just over 1000 euros/month. Many more around 1100 to 1200/month. Does NOT cost 3000 /month.