Filipino superstisions

I knew of Filipino wak-waks before. 
E g a Filipina wife said scared to her foreign husband, who was outside at their yard when it was close  to get dark:
-Hurry inside, so wak-wak can't take you!

Now I  got to know of some more such:
-Filipinos cutting down old trees such as balete, katmon etc. Due to sightings of supernatural creatures like tikbalang and kapre
-I don't believe in such,  said an other Filipino.
-But two men died because they didn't follow the warning, said a third.

Yeh and then there is the Loch Ness monster, Manticore and Kraken,

Install led spot lights (IP66) around your compond + install music activated laser lights for 'light' dance moves at least 3×/month....that I reckon will appease the wak waks & they will leave you and your family alone.
I'm more concerned about the rat infestation around my area.
:cool:

Yes, I have seen plenty of Filipino superstitions but l have taken advantage of one in which women can not get their hands wet after ironing, no cooking etc, so that is the night l get to cook. All 3 daughters would be happy if l did ALL the cooking.
regards  Bruce

GoDees wrote:

Yes, I have seen plenty of Filipino superstitions but l have taken advantage of one in which women can not get their hands wet after ironing, no cooking etc, so that is the night l get to cook. All 3 daughters would be happy if l did ALL the cooking.
regards  Bruce

Do you have to do the washup afterwards too? :)

No coach53
3 step daughters tend to that. They are simple meals, only one or two pot meals.
regards  Bruce.

GoDees wrote:

regards  Bruce

It's not a superstition. It's an old wives' tale called "pasma". Filipinos believe that if one did a lot of ironing, he / she should refrain from doing chores that would involve wetting their hands (like doing laundry,  washing dishes, or watering the garden) or wetting their body (such as taking a shower),  otherwise, he / she could develop hand tremors or pasma. But quick handwashing is fine.

There is no medical basis for pasma. But don't say that to a Filipino. Instead, be thoughtful to the person who did the ironing (usually a woman), and volunteer to cook and do the dishes.  Personally, I do not like ironing. It's hot and mundane, which is why I do my ironing in the guest bedroom with the aircon on and some 80's music playing. I don't believe in pasma. So, I take a quick shower after ironing. But after ironing, I believe I deserve a break.  Someone else should do the cooking and the dishes.

Hi FilAmericanMom,
I try to do as much as I am allowed around the house and I am very grateful to be able to help. My wife does more than I think she should but will not stop or change her ways.  I lived by myself for 20 years so know what housework is and I ENJOY cooking greatly, unfortunately l don't get as many opportunities as l would like too here.
regards  Bruce

I got to see all the superstitions concerning death and funerals.  My brother in law died in Early February 9f 2020, and the viewing went on for two weeks.  He was laid up in the living room of his house, and every night for two weeks a family member had to sleep in the same room with him.  The kids took turns, but the whole family was shut down for 14 days.  We were sheduled to fly to Singapore to take a cruise to Hong Kong, but to my wife's great relief Royal Caribbean cancelled the cruise, so she could participate in the 2 mile procession down the state road to Santa.  He only ever went to church for weddings and fuberals,  but he was treated like every other church member who died.  I was told  there was so much time between death and burial so that foreign family members could attend, but his only foreign daughter flew in from Cyprus two weeks before he died.  I was also told that they want to give his soul enough time to get to heaven before his body is locked underground.  As with any big event, a huge feast was served after the funeral.

@mugteck

Lets just hope your post does not bring the OP back from the dead.

There is also a practice to avoid the number 13. There is no 13th floor is some tall buildings. I think this is also practiced in western countries.

The building goes 1, Mezzanine, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.

On the floor above 12, they would re-count the floors counting  Mezzanine as floor 2 thus making the floor that's supposed to be 13, 14th, hence no 13th floor.

This is a very superstitious country ruled by a strict religion. Many (most) of the superstitions I have never heard of, eg not getting your hands wet after ironing. They are very poor for most part and been brought up from a very early age to believe in all these superstitions and religious fables. They are not told the truth on many matters as being ignorant they are easier to control. Get used to it as it is the Filipino way of life and will not change quickly.

regards  Bruce

This is a very superstitious country ruled by a strict religion. Many (most) of the superstitions I have never heard of, eg not getting your hands wet after ironing. They are very poor for most part and been brought up from a very early age to believe in all these superstitions and religious fables. They are not told the truth on many matters as being ignorant they are easier to control. Get used to it as it is the Filipino way of life and will not change quickly.regards  Bruce

Would you expect that America would beamy better? Lot's of superstitions there today. In my grandmother's day, pregnant women were not supposed to go to the zoo or look at flying airplanes lol. Black cats, ladders, no stepping on splders, salt, 13th floor (just 13). Strict religion is everywhere; evangelicals, Baptists, fundamentalists...

@danfinn

Hello

Thankfully I came from Australia where superstitions are rare and religion is on the way out.

regards  Bruce

@danfinnHelloThankfully I came from Australia where superstitions are rare and religion is on the way out.

Very odd you should say that. I mean, like you are here in this superstitious and religious country, voluntarily we would assume. Yet you are thankful for having come from a highly secular country with no such traditions. So why are you here if I may ask? It must be painful.

What is it that causes you to tolerate the religious and superstitious traditions here? When you say "thankfully" (secular in Australia) it is with a sense of relief that you were brought up that way.

So how can you stand it here? Some overriding family or business commitments?

If you are already in purgatory, why would you go to hell voluntarily? Bad juju.

You need to say a prayer 3 times daily for the next two weeks and offer food and alcohol to the unknown spirits by the anthill in your backyard.

If you are already in purgatory, why would you go to hell voluntarily? Bad juju.
You need to say a prayer 3 times daily for the next two weeks and offer food and alcohol to the unknown spirits by the anthill in your backyard.

-@Jackson4

Secularism is very popular with many Westerners these days. But even without invitation they feel so strongly that they have to let you know they don't believe etc.. Why is that? Like, I don't care if a person is atheistic but I don't want to validate or invalidate their belief system by debating religion on a public forum.

Please don't conflate local superstitions with formal religion, tempting as that may seem. Faith has its place alongside scientific thought for many people and has for thousands of years.

Young people of this generation are not unique in this time period for their agnosticism.

Pontification of religious beliefs on a forum like this, is not impressive but neither is it impressive to hear people virtue-signal their progressive secularism. Both are probably against forum rules (discussing local superstitions is not).

@danfinn

Hello again.

I am here because I am married to a Filipina. Our plan was to go to Cambodia teaching but lots of problems cropped up then covid. It made more sense at the time to reside here and not pay tourist visa rates. Still hoping to get out of here and go teaching. The crime syndicate that is religion here is appalling. Many good things here but superstition and religion are not some of them.

Hello again.
I am here because I am married to a Filipina. Our plan was to go to Cambodia teaching but lots of problems cropped up then covid.

Going to a country that is 80% Buddhist, has all kinds of superstitions built into every day life.  Symbol for good luck is a White Rabbit.  Probably make a lot of friends by playing Jefferson Airplane.

@danfinn
Hello again.
I am here because I am married to a Filipina. Our plan was to go to Cambodia teaching but lots of problems cropped up then covid. It made more sense at the time to reside here and not pay tourist visa rates. Still hoping to get out of here and go teaching. The crime syndicate that is religion here is appalling. Many good things here but superstition and religion are not some of them.

-@GoDees

Just don't eat Trey Dom Rey, you should be fine in Cambodia.