Admission for my 16 yr old son in germany schools

Hello ALl
We want to move to dusseldorf or Essen. My son is 16 yr old and has done his 10th from IGCSE board and has learnt german till B1 level.If we move there what are the possibilities for his education further??

Thanks
Pratibha

Unlike in some countries the public education system is good in Germany. Your son would have to be evaluated for placement to see his aptitude and interests for continuing his education. After finishing normal school not only University is tuition-free but most vocational trainings as well. To attend University one needs to get a certification called Abitur that is usually finished at age 19.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. We have decided to send him in privates school.
Which school would u recommend out of following 4
1. International School Ruhr, Essen
2. St George, dusseldorf
3. International School Düsseldorf
4. international school on Rhein

As school is decided accordingly we will start looking for house...
Thanks.

In Germany, some private schools are collection points for (rich) kids that failed in public ones. Others follow obscure educational principles or beliefs. Very few are better than the public options (and such elite schools are then exceedingly costly).
The only valid reason for choosing a private school, that I can think of, is to keep the kid in a home language system if the stay is limited to two/three years. In all other cases public schools are better, in my opinion.

Another aspect of this is your kids social integration, which is definitely hindered by not being able to have like-minded friends in the neighbourhood - as 95% of German kids attend the nearest public school.

But for 16 yr old
(11th grader) i dont know about gymaniaum process. Please help me understand that.. His german is of B2 level...

As Tom wrote above, he would have to be evaluated as to which stream and level is best for him. Some schools also offer preparatory classes for foreign kids, where they are brought up to speed (not only in the German language) to join normal classes after 6 - 12 months. If you haven't yet, ask at one of the local schools, or the Schulamt (school authority), about the possibilities.

Thanks a lot for your reaponses.
Can we contact schulamt before moving there  because Conpany is assigning an agency for house search and we need to tell them the area in which we will like to have an apartmentSo as i think once school is decided then only  we will be able to decide the apartment.

Of course you can contact them.

pratibha agarwal wrote:

But for 16 yr old
(11th grader) i dont know about gymaniaum process. Please help me understand that.. His german is of B2 level...

An international school teaching in English might make sense for someone just going for a year or two that doesn't already speak German. But a B2 level is fine so I don't understand what possible advantage one would have to pay more than 10,000 Euros/year extra?