Coming to Mexico 6 Months 42 y.o. student mom + 8 y. o. son

Hi! I might be a Guadalajara university exchange student sept to dec 2021.

But it will be online! Therefore, I can live anywhere.

I have been several times to Mexico: Sonora, Queretaro, DF, Oxaca, Zipolite, Puebla, Cancun, Campeche, Merida, Tulum, San Christobal de las casas, Palenque...

Ok so in Sonora: I know a family but don't like the city.

In DF I likes it and have friends but maybe too expensice, too busy, too dangerous?
Why go there if you can enjoy more peace else where? I would go only for the anthropology museum but... hum maybe not.

Oxaca: I LOOOOVED it. But I know no one there and is there a french primary school for my francophone son?

Guadalajara: I know no one there. There was a franco mexican primary school, thus...

Puebla: I know no one there and is there a french primary school for my francophone son?

MERIDA is MOST PROBABLY MY SPOT: I know 2 people there and I was told there is a french mexican primary school but no one tels me the name. Jajajaja. I am internet stupid so I can't find it.

If I rent my appartment here in Mtl, I will probably be able to have 1200 can $ = 19200 mex pesos to rent an appartent with one closed bed room ALL FURNISHED and including electricity + good wifi. Very important!

I will receive bursary for studying 19200 mex pesos per Month too... so I guess I will have to pay private school something like 12000-15000pesos per month... and will be left with more or less 5000pesos per Months to live with (food typically). I cook full time. No restaurants, no going out. We are vegetarians (no meat expenses) and very boho... meaning that I can live a very simple life IF it has some charms.

I intend to travel in the city maybe with my big yuba bike to cary my son in the back. I have to check if that can go in the plane and how much$... I do not intend to buy or rent a car... I would love to But I am afraid of buying in Mexico and re seling in Mexico: what if I cannot sell before leaving? No budget for renting, definitely. So we need to be close to center or at least close to french primary school. Max 4-5km... to bike...

Q1: any city to recomand me?

PS If you are a sociable open family, I would love to be close to a family with children 9 years old and under. My son's best friend is 4 years old and second best friend is 3 years old!!!

Q2: name of a french primary school? Prices? Some hidden fees to expect, out of the monthly fees?

Q3: what time does school finish? Here, in Montreal, I have after school care, after 3:30pm. Untill 6pm.
I expect to find no after school care afiliated with frenco mex schools. Tell me if I am wrong

Q4: if it becomes problematic for a single full time student mom like me to have to pick up my son at like... 2pm and have him around with no relatives to look after him, I may go with au pairs. Any information about that?

I currently always have free au pairs happy to help 12 hours a week, in exchange for a free all included place to stay. So if you want to talk about solutions for rich people, I am obviously not interested since I can't aford it. 

Je parle français.
Hablo espanol tambien  ;-)

Ariane et Mathys wrote:

Hi! I might be a Guadalajara university exchange student sept to dec 2021.

But it will be online! Therefore, I can live anywhere.

I have been several times to Mexico: Sonora, Queretaro, DF, Oxaca, Zipolite, Puebla, Cancun, Campeche, Merida, Tulum, San Christobal de las casas, Palenque...

Ok so in Sonora: I know a family but don't like the city.

In DF I likes it and have friends but maybe too expensice, too busy, too dangerous?
Why go there if you can enjoy more peace else where? I would go only for the anthropology museum but... hum maybe not.

Oxaca: I LOOOOVED it. But I know no one there and is there a french primary school for my francophone son?

Guadalajara: I know no one there. There was a franco mexican primary school, thus...

Puebla: I know no one there and is there a french primary school for my francophone son?

MERIDA is MOST PROBABLY MY SPOT: I know 2 people there and I was told there is a french mexican primary school but no one tels me the name. Jajajaja. I am internet stupid so I can't find it.

If I rent my appartment here in Mtl, I will probably be able to have 1200 can $ = 19200 mex pesos to rent an appartent with one closed bed room ALL FURNISHED and including electricity + good wifi. Very important!

I will receive bursary for studying 19200 mex pesos per Month too... so I guess I will have to pay private school something like 12000-15000pesos per month... and will be left with more or less 5000pesos per Months to live with (food typically). I cook full time. No restaurants, no going out. We are vegetarians (no meat expenses) and very boho... meaning that I can live a very simple life IF it has some charms.

I intend to travel in the city maybe with my big yuba bike to cary my son in the back. I have to check if that can go in the plane and how much$... I do not intend to buy or rent a car... I would love to But I am afraid of buying in Mexico and re seling in Mexico: what if I cannot sell before leaving? No budget for renting, definitely. So we need to be close to center or at least close to french primary school. Max 4-5km... to bike...

Q1: any city to recomand me?

PS If you are a sociable open family, I would love to be close to a family with children 9 years old and under. My son's best friend is 4 years old and second best friend is 3 years old!!!

Q2: name of a french primary school? Prices? Some hidden fees to expect, out of the monthly fees?

Q3: what time does school finish? Here, in Montreal, I have after school care, after 3:30pm. Untill 6pm.
I expect to find no after school care afiliated with frenco mex schools. Tell me if I am wrong

Q4: if it becomes problematic for a single full time student mom like me to have to pick up my son at like... 2pm and have him around with no relatives to look after him, I may go with au pairs. Any information about that?

I currently always have free au pairs happy to help 12 hours a week, in exchange for a free all included place to stay. So if you want to talk about solutions for rich people, I am obviously not interested since I can't aford it. 

Je parle français.
Hablo espanol tambien  ;-)

Welcome to expat mexico Ariane

It seems like you have visited a number of places in Mexico and for various reasons don't care for them. Three of the places you passed by were possibly acceptable you said.
So I honestly don't know what your questions are.

Given that you speak Spanish have you actually visited the government websites to find out about schools etc. Currently education is on line in Mexico. "au pairs "? Here those are extended family members.

I visited the website of international french schools. In Mexico, i found 3 or was it 4?

Anyways, sharp to "no good" cities as you pointed out, i came to the conclusion that Mexico city was the best! Because of the location of the school in Coyoacan. I LOOOOVEEE Coyoacan! I checked the website of that particular school. I did not see anywhere that young children are requiered to study on line!?

French mexican schools might be diferent from public and private mexican schools?

I found an apartment on line with extra bedroom for eventual au pair.
So I'll get him or her on International traveling website workaway (too bad. I prefer to meet local people as i'll be there).
Just waiting to rent my own apartment.🙂
Otherwise, i'll have no money to travel.

If you know of any apartment swap
Website? But i am afraid it might be more dificult for mexicans to enter Canada as it is for canadians to enter Mexico 😕.

Cheers.

Sounds like a good beginning. The children here are back in school for the most part.
Things are in a period of change basically all of the time. Swapping apartments is something you should check out, but I suspect its not a very viable option.

People here with the money to travel are fairly well informed so they are aware of the same issues in Canada as you are. Some travel to Florida, but I know of no one who is going to Canada. There are a number from Canada who are coming to Mexico.