Registering a birth in Mexico

Hi,

About to have a baby or already had children? Let's share your experience about the paperworks for registering a birth in Mexico.

What are the formalities to obtain a birth certificate?

What is the procedure to follow if both parents are of the same nationality or for a mixed couple?

Thank you in advance for participating,

David

Hello there,
We have just had a baby 3 months ago in Queretaro and I have to be honest the paperwork to obtain birth cert was more painful than the birth itself :) I was born in Poland but have an american citzenship and passport. Baby's dad is Irish. We had to have our birth certificates translated by a legal translator (in my case Polish consul had to sign off on the translation) and on top of that we needed to obtain apostille from Ireland and Poland on those birth certs. You also need marriage cert (also translated and with apostille), proof of address in Mexico (you must have an original utility bill with you) and two witnesses have to come with you. Of course you need to bring the baby with as well. All the documents that are required have to be presented to the clerk in original however you also need to bring copies since they take those. Now the worst part for us was that after gathering all of the paperwork from our birth countries it took the clerk 3.5 hours to put all that into their computer (our poor witnesses had to wait there with us). After all this hassle we succeeded!!!

Since we had a lot of trouble getting all of the paperwork gathered for our birth certs, we've decided to get an apostille on our son's birth cert to have it ready for when we leave Mexico. That was another 4 hour long journey. I have followed online directions to the dot and brought his original certificate to the apostille office in Queretaro. There I was told that I need to go to another office on the other side of Centro Historico and pay for a new birth certificate with someone's signature on the backof it. Once I had it, I went back to the apostille office where they took the document and told me that now I need to go to the bank and pay for it before I can get it back. 4 hours later I had it in my hand!

@Jagoda0723 - thank you for your sharing of experience and information :)

How to obtain birth registration , which is required for the presentation of the child along with their parents , or the person exercising parental authority or paternal or maternal grandparents, relatives of either, ascendants, brothers or uncles

What are the requirements?

. 1 - For the approval of the minutes of the regular birth registration to be made within SIX months following the birth , interested parties must submit:

a) Application duly filled registration

b )The prescence of the minor to register , through his father and mother, or any of them , in the absence of these , grandparents and other ancestors in a direct line, brothers or uncles .

c ) Certificate of Birth in format to that effect issued by the Ministry of Health

Where applicable, Proof of Delivery that contains the name and signature of the doctor or midwife surgeon duly registered with the Ministry of Health , who attended the birth , place, date and time of birth , and full name of the mother.

d ) Marriage Certificate of parents ,if they are not married, must submit their birth certificates . If one or both parents are foreigners must submit apostilled or legalized foreign proceedings as appropriate , if they are written in language other than Spanish , translation by authorized by the Superior Court is required Connoisseur  If there is no expert , he shall, in the following order , the Judicial Council, Public Education Institutions , embassies or country representatives.

e) official ID of the presenters

f ) Proof of residence declared by the presenters of the child or to register , less than six months

SOURCE:  Mexican Central Office of Civil Registration

Hello LCSuzu,

Thank you for your contribution  :top:

Priscilla
Expat.com team