Complaining about Hungary (or not)

A bit philosophical, of course there are always items to complain about, indeed in Hungary things could be much better, but then again residents (even pensioners) are much better off then they were 30 years ago. The residents of Hungary can now easily move to the Caucasus (as we are planning to do) at very effective prices, 30 years ago moving to another country would not have been possible, Most of the Hungarians have their own property (prices have sky-rocketed (income perhaps not, but overall financial situation has (perhaps some sad exceptions though (we have witnessed some))
Overall I think Orban is doing a very good job and if expats (or locals) do not like it we have the liberty to move (JUST COMPARE with history).
Hungary (cost of living) is quickly moving (too quick as to my taste).
Me and my wife have benefitted from the increase in property prices (not yet realized, but could very well be).
I like Hungary in general, people, crime-free (relative), taxes, ...
What I do not like is the lack of international restaurants, the fact that things are getting more expensive then they were, ....
I prefer to live like a king (ie buying what I want to buy), when and IF I move I will miss Hungary, but quality of life is also important.

cdw057 wrote:

A bit philosophical, of course there are always items to complain about, indeed in Hungary things could be much better, but then again residents (even pensioners) are much better off then they were 30 years ago. The residents of Hungary can now easily move to the Caucasus (as we are planning to do) at very effective prices, 30 years ago moving to another country would not have been possible, Most of the Hungarians have their own property (prices have sky-rocketed (income perhaps not, but overall financial situation has (perhaps some sad exceptions though (we have witnessed some))
Overall I think Orban is doing a very good job and if expats (or locals) do not like it we have the liberty to move (JUST COMPARE with history).
Hungary (cost of living) is quickly moving (too quick as to my taste).
Me and my wife have benefitted from the increase in property prices (not yet realized, but could very well be).
I like Hungary in general, people, crime-free (relative), taxes, ...
What I do not like is the lack of international restaurants, the fact that things are getting more expensive then they were, ....
I prefer to live like a king (ie buying what I want to buy), when and IF I move I will miss Hungary, but quality of life is also important.

That's an expat bubble view.  Things are different on the ground.

Not all of us can just move. We're not nomads. Some of us are "all in" for the long term.

Orban's the nexus for an institutionalised kleptocracy.  He has no qualms about abusing any section of society to line his cronies pockets and to remain in power.  There's a stack of reports in Brussels about this kind of thing.  They didn't just make it up.

Why leave Hungary if you like it?
I wouldn't be keen on trying out another country and trying to figure things out from scratch again.
My husband who is Hungarian actually wants to move back to the US.
That's not exactly on my mind.
Since our son left the US, I'm really not interested in returning there anytime soon.
I've gotten so used to things here that the US seems like a bad idea.
Makes me think of a fellow American we met a decade ago . She had a really large nice dog that I just had to pet. We got to chatting with her and she invited us to see her flat in the 5th.
Wow, what a nice place, 150 sq. meters, top floor with lift and super nice inside with an ,American" kitchen, whirlpool bathtub, full shower and located on a quiet st.
She lived there alone most times because her husband was in the US military and never there. Just her and her dog and couple of cats.
We asked if she would return to the US someday, she had been in Hungary for 9 years at that time.
She said n, there was no place for her any longer in the US.
I thought that was an odd answer but now I understand her point of view.
Ran into her a few more times on the st. while she was dog walking but
haven't seen her in years now.
Wonder if she is still around or if the US made room for her?

I like Hungary but it is getting too European (ie too expensive), I am still at an age that I can manage a big move, Georgia (country) currently at the top of my list. Having said that all is depending on the sale of the house as well as Corona subsiding and liberty to travel.
No immediate rush, just looking forward to a move to a quiet appartment.

cdw057 wrote:

I like Hungary but it is getting too European (ie too expensive), I am still at an age that I can manage a big move, Georgia (country) currently at the top of my list. Having said that all is depending on the sale of the house as well as Corona subsiding and liberty to travel.
No immediate rush, just looking forward to a move to a quiet appartment.

Going from home to apt. is going to take a bit of adjustment.
I wanted t purchase a little county place here in Hungary and get out of the city.
Saw so many sweet places but then my husband had to be realistic on me.
He says at 73 he is no longer into playing house, keeping up with repairs and worrying about weeds.
So he was looking at apts. in other areas, then he mentioned buying a brand new flat somewhere, then subject was over with.
We saw one place that I really did like, was recently built, nice and clean with 3 flats in one unit.
Sort of a good idea for a B&B and near the water.
A decent investment that would pay off later for our son when we are gone.
I thought how sweet it would be to give my sister a flat and my son another one but then again, wake up call, neither is here in Hungary so dream on.
My husband always says he can't be in two places at once  so for now things are on hold.
Yes, the Big C is keeping life on hold fr many people.
I often forget we are getting older and taking on a big project isn't really a good idea.
For sure though if our son decides to come here, he is a citizen here, then we would make plans together, until he drove us insane at least!

cdw057 wrote:

No immediate rush, just looking forward to a move to a quiet apartment.

From what I've seen Georgia is a very pretty country with lots to see and do.  Don't know about the COL (Cost of Living).  Could be very nice down on the coast.  The Russians are always there though, ready to interfere. 

I think the politics there are quite difficult and also there's quite a lot of conservative religious interference in politics and life.  As an expat, probably not going to be a problem as long as one doesn't get involved.

One thing I have noticed here is an uptick in Georgian cars driving around Budapest.  Something must have happened like visa free travel or investment or establishing embassies or trade missions.   I noticed because the Georgian flag is very similar to the English flag on first glance.

cdw057 wrote:

I like Hungary but it is getting too European (ie too expensive)

You, have to be joking?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

She said n, there was no place for her any longer in the US.
I thought that was an odd answer but now I understand her point of view.
Ran into her a few more times on the st. while she was dog walking but
haven't seen her in years now.
Wonder if she is still around or if the US made room for her?

I can see that kind of sentiment in myself.  I've been away so long I'm probably becoming no longer compatible in my thinking with life and existence there.  I visited relatively often pre-COVID but as my older relatives fade away, there's no reason for me to visit except occasionally.  Everyone can come here of course.   I do hear of people going back to their home countries after 30+ years abroad but I am not sure I would do that.  At least not right away.  Our kids are totally Hungarian'ised so they'd probably stay here at least until school or Uni is finished.  They say they are going to leave.  Wouldn't blame them.  Personally I couldn't imagine moving somewhere else really now as I'm probably past it and should be put out to pasture.  Visiting yes, moving no.

My husband still talks about chucking it all and spending our life savings on moving back to Hawaii.
He often watches surfing and it gets to him.
He was a very good surfer in his late 20's. Now, he probably could paddle out and ride the waves sitting on a board but those huge waves for now are not in the picture. I think he rather enjoy going out on a wave though, he loved surfing, it was his life for a few years.
He would be up before dawn to catch the morning ride and again in the early evening time. Life was all about surfing. At least he found something he enjoyed and was good at. Dancing and surfing.
My sister would like it if we moved in with her but Minn. in the winter?
Yuck, why is she living there we ask?
Yes, I know the feeling, without our boy living in the US it just doesn't seem the same to bother being there.
My husband has no real desire to even visit Japan so the only option is for our son to visit us here in Hungary.
He knows it's an option for him so time will tell.
He refuses to move back to the US.
Weird because the media would have you thinking everyone is dying to enter the US.
Not true.
Our son likes the ladies and American women are a big turn off to him, odd but he dislikes almost everything about them.
Maybe he secretly hates me too? No that's too much.
He likes gentle people and he says American women are too bossy and spoiled for him and far too large in size. He is not one of those tick-tock sorts, likes real people with real lives, not into what's in and what's popular. Guess he is a modern day Hippie in some ways.
He says he is Hungarian but so far he isn't ready to come here.
So. it's either Hawaii in the poor house, or old folks home with a nice community center and swimming pools  or a small apt. or home in Hungary. Hmm, never thought as a young person the options would be so limited.
Used to know people in Hawaii who never in the lives even left their own Island so I suppose my options aren't really all that bad.
Never know, I may find myself in Japan .

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My husband still talks about chucking it all and spending our life savings on moving back to Hawaii.
He often watches surfing and it gets to him.
He was a very good surfer in his late 20's. Now, he probably could paddle out and ride the waves sitting on a board but those huge waves for now are not in the picture. I think he rather enjoy going out on a wave though, he loved surfing, it was his life for a few years.
He would be up before dawn to catch the morning ride and again in the early evening time. Life was all about surfing. At least he found something he enjoyed and was good at. Dancing and surfing.
My sister would like it if we moved in with her but Minn. in the winter?
Yuck, why is she living there we ask?
Yes, I know the feeling, without our boy living in the US it just doesn't seem the same to bother being there.
My husband has no real desire to even visit Japan so the only option is for our son to visit us here in Hungary.
He knows it's an option for him so time will tell.
He refuses to move back to the US.
Weird because the media would have you thinking everyone is dying to enter the US.
Not true.
Our son likes the ladies and American women are a big turn off to him, odd but he dislikes almost everything about them.
Maybe he secretly hates me too? No that's too much.
He likes gentle people and he says American women are too bossy and spoiled for him and far too large in size. He is not one of those tick-tock sorts, likes real people with real lives, not into what's in and what's popular. Guess he is a modern day Hippie in some ways.
He says he is Hungarian but so far he isn't ready to come here.
So. it's either Hawaii in the poor house, or old folks home with a nice community center and swimming pools  or a small apt. or home in Hungary. Hmm, never thought as a young person the options would be so limited.
Used to know people in Hawaii who never in the lives even left their own Island so I suppose my options aren't really all that bad.
Never know, I may find myself in Japan .

I would think moving to Japan would be so different from life elsewhere, it would be a real novelty in the beginning.  On the other hand without some support, I would think it would be quite difficult.  More of a stretch than say moving to Spain or Malta or even the UK.  One has a chance on the language there but Japan would be a whole other level.  One of my  older Fluffyettes was living in Sapporo for about 2 years.  Eventually decided it was a dead end and there was nowhere to go work wise.  So left for the UK for a bit and now lives in New Zealand.

I've been to an Narita airport hotel (Tokyo) and it was already rather strange.   Bit of a dump really and surprisingly old fashioned.  Airport too was a bit naff.  Not modern at all.  Hotel had  a weird pod type room.  The restaurant menu was impossible to work out and not exactly cheap either.   Upside was a 24h shop.  I was only there about 15h so slept most of the time as didn't have time to do anything.  Not a great introduction.

Moving to Hawaii sounds like trying to relive old times.  I was saying to Mrs Fluffy the other day that realistically, maybe I've got 20-25 years left if I'm lucky and don't get some dread disease. It's just not practical for us to move to  somewhere where the weather is very desirable like Australia or New Zealand unless someone paid for us to do it.  Mind's willing but the body isn't - at least this morning.  Beginning to be too comfy in my bubble.  And no sponsor or sugar daddy or lottery win to finance it.

BTW, 30+ years ago I had a colleague who was convinced he was going to marry an American.  Sure enough, he bumped into one and within days had left his long term GF (very attractive but a first class b***h).  He very quickly got spliced and left for the USA within months.   As far as I know, he's still there. Amazing.  I also had another British colleague who was a real jack the lad and loved going to Miami where he had a house.  Within days of arriving, per 3 month or so visit, he'd be shacked up with someone and then dump them as soon as it was time to go back to work in Europe.   Some people just know what they want and don't care who gets in the way.

I still enjoy the time I spend in Hungary but with the current overnight curfews and closedown I would consider that most of Europe has experienced some form of lifestyle closedown over the past year.
Prices have increased here but they have also increased in many countries.
I miss being able to travel  as freely as in the past and I visit my original country England, often enough to enjoy being there like a tourist.

anns wrote:

Prices always increase over time, that's nothing new, but in the UK they have increased a lot more than normal. That is due to Brexit.

SimCityAT wrote:
anns wrote:

Prices always increase over time, that's nothing new, but in the UK they have increased a lot more than normal. That is due to Brexit.

Reports in the media show UK house prices are up on 2020.  Surprising really considering how moribund the economy should be.  But I also read this morning post-Boris's escape plan, bookings on airlines are way way up.  I'm even looking optimistically.  There must be enormous pent up demand there just waiting to explode.   Brexit is going to be dampener though.    I'm considering flying just after Easter but only seriously planning when I know there's no quarantine or testing required and all businesses are open on that UK end.  I'm OK to quarantine here on the way back.

The fact that prices are increasing over time for me is not a given (deflation in the 30s), having said that far too many incentives to get inflation going (and getting out of hand). I should feel relatively fine with pension in EUR (having said that too many governments are interested in inflation (and getting rid of government debt).
To me there are no real assets to invest into (almost all are inflated). I am happy to have a paid off home.

In Hungary (as well as other EU countries things go fast as far as increase of prices are concerned).
Until a few years ago EUR 1000 pm would have been very fine to live (very) comfortably. This is changing FAST.
For the aftermath of Corona I personally prefer (living of savings) deflation, but inflation is really a night mare scenario.

cdw057 wrote:

The fact that prices are increasing over time for me is not a given (deflation in the 30s), having said that far too many incentives to get inflation going (and getting out of hand). I should feel relatively fine with pension in EUR (having said that too many governments are interested in inflation (and getting rid of government debt).
To me there are no real assets to invest into (almost all are inflated). I am happy to have a paid off home.

In Hungary (as well as other EU countries things go fast as far as increase of prices are concerned).
Until a few years ago EUR 1000 pm would have been very fine to live (very) comfortably. This is changing FAST.
For the aftermath of Corona I personally prefer (living of savings) deflation, but inflation is really a night mare scenario.

Kicking myself, we should of bought Bit Coin when we wanted to. It was $9,500 now it is hanging around $46,000 to $54,000 up and down .Buy in for $9,500, take out your  investment and let it ride.
It's all good, never much been interested in money for the sake of counting it.
I admit though, when I was a games dealer and someone would hand me a pile of hundreds, counting them out all across the table and yelling out, "Changing $10,000" was fun, not my money so none of it was real.
Actually no one ever handed me anything, never allowed to touch the dealer.Lay your money down.

cdw057 wrote:

Big problem with pensions and index linking.  Brexit hasn't helped.  It used to be that pensions were index linked but it depends where you are living.

We've noticed a sudden increase in fuel prices. North of 400 HUF a litre.    The HUF has been wobbling quite a bit in the 3 months or so.   There are going to be debts to pay come the end of COVID19.

Stockmarket is still worth looking at.  Plenty to invest into come the "end" of the pandemic.   Solid stocks like mining, energy and supermarkets will almost always beat inflation.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
cdw057 wrote:

Kicking myself, we should of bought Bit Coin when we wanted to. It was $9,500 now it is hanging around $46,000 to $54,000 up and down .Buy in for $9,500, take out your  investment and let it ride.
I admit though, when I was a games dealer and someone would hand me a pile of hundreds, counting them out all across the table and yelling out, "Changing $10,000" was fun, not my money so none of it was real.
Actually no one ever handed me anything, never allowed to touch the dealer.Lay your money down.

A tough one, when Bitcoin started it was priced at a takeaway Pizza. A few bucks, but would you be willing to gamble for an unknown thing? Go figure!

SimCityAT wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:
cdw057 wrote:

A tough one, when Bitcoin started it was priced at a takeaway Pizza. A few bucks, but would you be willing to gamble for an unknown thing? Go figure!

My BFF who passed just about one year ago was left stock in Apple. Her then 94 year old working class mom bought stock when they first were a start up.
It is a crying shame my BFF passed before she could enjoy her money left by her mother.
Think I mentioned her husband was set to die first with cancer. He is still kicking it so hope he is enjoying some of the money before his time is up too.
One of my long lost 2nd cousins husband was a professor in Maryland at some uni teaching financial advice or something along that line. He was from India, smart guy. He left her half interest in a fish farm and a ton of other investments. She is so dang frugal though it is disgusting. She visited us in Vegas and was afraid to put in even $5. in the slot machine.
Not everyone with means can enjoy it, sad really because all of our clocks are ticking.
She is loaded but watches every penny, what is the fun in it then?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

..... visited us in Vegas and was afraid to put in even $5. in the slot machine.
Not everyone with means can enjoy it, sad really because all of our clocks are ticking.

Mrs Fluffy and I were in LV and I put $5 in a machine and it kept it after making some noises and doing nothing much! 

My first thought was "this is rubbish", nothing happened.  So that was it, we were finished just after we started.  My entire  LV gambling career was a budget of about $20. The amount I was prepared to lose.   So we gave up  immediately on losing the first $5 and decided gambling wasn't for us.   The other $15 we spent on something but don't remember what - probably a gigantic ice-cream each.   The next day after our $5 blowout we went to the Grand Canyon by plane for the day and then just a day later we went to Wet 'n' Wild.   

We did take advantage of free food in the casinos but it was so bad and the people so rude, we only went once.  Presumably blowing $5 showed them what kind of hi-rollers we were.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

..... visited us in Vegas and was afraid to put in even $5. in the slot machine.

Mrs Fluffy and I were in LV and I put $5 in a machine and it kept it after making some noises and doing nothing much! 

My first thought was "this is rubbish", nothing happened.  So that was it, we were finished just after we started.  My entire  LV gambling career was a budget of about $20. The amount I was prepared to lose.   So we gave up  immediately on losing the first $5 and decided gambling wasn't for us.   The other $15 we spent on something but don't remember what - probably a gigantic ice-cream each.   The next day after our $5 blowout we went to the Grand Canyon by plane for the day and then just a day later we went to Wet 'n' Wild.   

We did take advantage of free food in the casinos but it was so bad and the people so rude, we only went once.  Presumably blowing $5 showed them what kind of hi-rollers we were.

You are what they call in Vegas, "A Whale" just kidding. The more I saw people gambling the more I knew for a fact that it is hard to win in Vegas. My husband often did win thousands of bucks but he never told me how much he lost.
$5.00 was my limit too.
I still remember one day when this women, a regular at my bac table came in half crying. She told me she had just lost $50,000 in another casino. She cried half -way for me to allow her to win. As if I'd take that chance for some none tipping silly women.
People are strange for sure. I guess seeing so much waste made me hard hearted, I was not in her court at all and was rather mad at her for even thinking I'd cheat for her.
I have never even entered a casino here in Hungary. I'm too cheap to pay the cover charge to get in.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

You are what they call in Vegas, "A Whale" just kidding. The more I saw people gambling the more I knew for a fact that it is hard to win in Vegas. My husband often did win thousands of bucks but he never told me how much he lost.
$5.00 was my limit too.
I still remember one day when this women, a regular at my bac table came in half crying. She told me she had just lost $50,000 in another casino. She cried half -way for me to allow her to win. As if I'd take that chance for some none tipping silly women.
People are strange for sure. I guess seeing so much waste made me hard hearted, I was not in her court at all and was rather mad at her for even thinking I'd cheat for her.
I have never even entered a casino here in Hungary. I'm too cheap to pay the cover charge to get in.

Me? A Whale?  How did you know?!!   Whale is perhaps not as nice as a dolphin. I could aspire to be a dolphin given a choice. At one with the sea and the fish. I'd probably be OK with reincarnation as a dolphin.  Having a a higher porpoise.

Dutch guy I worked with used to go to the HU casino down by the river near the Chain Bridge.  He'd go there really late at night and go home at about 4am.  He never told me either how much he lost but I did go with him once and thought it was pretty boring.

Only interest to me was that he had played a couple of times at a table with famous people playing too.  The only one I can remember him talking about was Arnold Schwarzenegger.   

Never appealed to me gambling. I think at least working the stock exchange has some element of skill in it and the chances of losing on some stocks is almost zero.   Guess it's about risk.   I'm not that risky. Anyone losing 50K in a casino needs their head examined.  People with more money than sense or with mental health issues.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

$5.00 was my limit too.

Me? A Whale?  How did you know?!!   Whale is perhaps not as nice as a dolphin. I could aspire to be a dolphin given a choice. At one with the sea and the fish. I'd probably be OK with reincarnation as a dolphin.  Having a a higher porpoise.

Dutch guy I worked with used to go to the HU casino down by the river near the Chain Bridge.  He'd go there really late at night and go home at about 4am.  He never told me either how much he lost but I did go with him once and thought it was pretty boring.

Only interest to me was that he had played a couple of times at a table with famous people playing too.  The only one I can remember him talking about was Arnold Schwarzenegger.   

Never appealed to me gambling. I think at least working the stock exchange has some element of skill in it and the chances of losing on some stocks is almost zero.   Guess it's about risk.   I'm not that risky. Anyone losing 50K in a casino needs their head examined.  People with more money than sense or with mental health issues.

There used to be casinos at Margret Island in the commie days, in fact there used to be several downtown too. Seems odd since it was communist.
Perfect job for me. A bit fast paced so no time to be bored while working. If stuck with some boring players you knew it wasn't for long, a 20 min to 40 min break every 40mins to one hour. Used to come home from work and wonder what I did all day long except breathe in smoke and hear a ton of noise.
Most jobs aren't fun but I had some fun days at work. My fave was to volunteer for tournaments.Big players, "whales" would be invited to compete with each other to see who won a large pot of money.
We dealt out a certain amount of hands within 20 mins. Took a break then dealt  another couple of rounds and were done for the day. Usually finished work in 3 hours plus partook of the normal share of tips in the casino. It was a fun day for having to be at work. The players were not mad at the dealer and were mad at each other instead.
It is a sick hobby though, we had "regulars" who would be at the tables when I came to work and were still playing when I went home for the day.
Some people at the slots were so into playing that they  wore adult nappies so they don't have to waste time getting up and going to the WC! Nasty.
I knew of several dealers who actually had 2 full time dealing jobs. One job was for their living expenses and the other for their gambling habit.

The only,"famous" person I ever noticed in the casino was Wanda Sykes. I came back to the "pit" ( a real term) after a break and my shift boss asked if I would deal a special  table for him. I said yes, had to sign a waver first. I was Wanda and some coach, she was filming a skit for one of her shows. She didn't say a word and was shy acting, not even cracking much of a smile. This guy was allowed to tell her how to play. no one else was allowed at her table. It was "weird". It may or may not of ran on tv, never found out the date for the broadcast. Probably was cut and just small comedy jokes added later on. She tipped me $50. after my hour was up.
I took one fr the team that day, wish I had said no because it was too much attention for me.
After I left that casino O.J. Simpson was arrested in the hotel portion.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

It is a sick hobby though, we had "regulars" who would be at the tables when I came to work and were still playing when I went home for the day.
Some people at the slots were so into playing that they  wore adult nappies so they don't have to waste time getting up and going to the WC! Nasty.
I knew of several dealers who actually had 2 full time dealing jobs. One job was for their living expenses and the other for their gambling habit.

The only,"famous" person I ever noticed in the casino was Wanda Sykes. I came back to the "pit" ( a real term) after a break and my shift boss asked if I would deal a special  table for him. I said yes, had to sign a waver first. I was Wanda and some coach, she was filming a skit for one of her shows. She didn't say a word and was shy acting, not even cracking much of a smile. This guy was allowed to tell her how to play. no one else was allowed at her table. It was "weird". It may or may not of ran on tv, never found out the date for the broadcast. Probably was cut and just small comedy jokes added later on. She tipped me $50. after my hour was up.
I took one fr the team that day, wish I had said no because it was too much attention for me.
After I left that casino O.J. Simpson was arrested in the hotel portion.

I have no idea who Wanda Sykes is.  Sounds a total cheapskate. 

She'd be making money on residuals and you got nothing. Presumably that waiver was to cut you out of the big bucks and leveraging your fame on the back of Wanda Sykes's "celebrity" status. 

But obviously I know who OJ is as we were watching that play out even over here.  He was engaging in a different kind of gambling there.  He could have got the death penalty if found guilty. 

Gambling  seems to be a mugs game to me.  I have played poker around a kitchen table in Austria with a bunch of Hungarians and it was quite fun but we were liberally lubricated with palinka, beer and wine.  We were playing for HUF and the highest amount you could bet was 100 HUF.  Not enough to cause anyone serious damage.

You can google Wanda Sykes, she was a "guest" at Epstein Island as well!
I've been in the "crowd" on several tv shows over my lifetime, first time was at a Teen Tv show in the 1960's, "Where the action is" . They filmed in an old western movie studio, amusement park setting in our home town. Paul Rever & The Raiders were the guests on that episode. I was 10 or 11 at the time.
No biggie, never wanted to be on tv or in the limelight in any way.
My old friend a master hairdresser used to have international hair shows and many models, he always asked my sister and I to model in his show.
Once out of about 60 models he asked me to open the show and come out first. Total disaster although the audience didn't know it.
They shouldn't of plied us with wine and no food before the show, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I was given really quick instructions as to where to enter the stage and exit, well it was noisy and I only heard how to enter, took everyone off the main path as they left the stage.
Just keep smiling and it all works out.
Hey, all I got was a free hairdo, had to travel to the show, pay for parking, get a babysitter and buy a new outfit. Would of been cheaper to just pay for the hairstyle.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

You can google Wanda Sykes, she was a "guest" at Epstein Island as well!
I've been in the "crowd" on several tv shows over my lifetime, first time was at a Teen Tv show in the 1960's, "Where the action is" . They filmed in an old western movie studio, amusement park setting in our home town. Paul Rever & The Raiders were the guests on that episode. I was 10 or 11 at the time.
No biggie, never wanted to be on tv or in the limelight in any way.
My old friend a master hairdresser used to have international hair shows and many models, he always asked my sister and I to model in his show.
Once out of about 60 models he asked me to open the show and come out first. Total disaster although the audience didn't know it.
They shouldn't of plied us with wine and no food before the show, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I was given really quick instructions as to where to enter the stage and exit, well it was noisy and I only heard how to enter, took everyone off the main path as they left the stage.
Just keep smiling and it all works out.
Hey, all I got was a free hairdo, had to travel to the show, pay for parking, get a babysitter and buy a new outfit. Would of been cheaper to just pay for the hairstyle.

I did Google Wanda Sykes and was none the wiser.   She didn't make it into Europe.  Not enough to be noticed anyway. 

No idea who Paul Rever and The Raiders are either.  I Google'd them but obviously not on my radar in the same way that The Beatles, Hollies or even Alice Cooper were. 

I thought maybe I'd know the tunes but I YouTube'd them and nope, didn't recognise one!  I guess even people like Brad Pitt had to start somewhere.  People like Kurt Russell were child stars so easier perhaps for them to move into an adulthood of fame.  Who knows where your hairdo fame could have taken you?!

I am always laughing about the UK reality shows where they invite "celebrities" to do something or other.  Never heard of half of them.  Not A-Listers but somewhere E and F-listers.

Mrs Fluffy and I sat next to someone "famous" on a BA plane once to the UK.  We didn't know who he was and he was really annoyed we hadn't recognised him.  He kept dropping hints and eventually he said who he was and that he was on HU TV.  To this day, we still don't know who he actually was.  He seemed almost perplexed we had no idea.  Looking back on it, if he'd have been that famous, he wouldn't have been in the back with the rest of us lesser plebs.

Too funny.
We were taking a flight to Florida in the late 1980's from Burbank Airport.
We noticed , "Robin Leach".from the then hit weekly show, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. He was flying coach like the rest of us dead beats.
Stood in the check out in Encino, Ca. in a health food store inside a strip mall where a salon I was working at was located. Robbie Benson was in line in front of me. Wasn't sure it was him or not at first but it was him. Just a regular shopper.
Another time at the Burbank Airport I was going in to check out jobs there.
As I was walking in the airport a limo stopped next to me and Fay Dunnaway was being helped out by her driver. He gave me a look and so did she like ,Please don't bother us" I just kept on walking without skipping a beat. Couldn't care less who she was, I had my own thing going on and not interested in as* kissing anyone.I could tell in that split second that they both were disappointed I didn't ask for an autograph or say something.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Too funny.
We noticed , "Robin Leach".from the then hit weekly show, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. He was flying coach like the rest of us dead beats.
Stood in the check out in Encino, Ca. in a health food store inside a strip mall where a salon I was working at was located. Robbie Benson was in line in front of me. Wasn't sure it was him or not at first but it was him. Just a regular shopper.
As I was walking in the airport a limo stopped next to me and Fay Dunnaway was being helped out by her driver. He gave me a look and so did she like ,Please don't bother us" I just kept on walking without skipping a beat. Couldn't care less who she was, I had my own thing going on and not interested in as* kissing anyone.I could tell in that split second that they both were disappointed I didn't ask for an autograph or say something.

I know who Robin Leach is or was.  I do remember watching that show sometimes.  I don't think it was shown much in the UK so maybe I saw it in a hotel.  That guy had a very unique and recognisable voice - half British and half American accent.  Made the show his own I suppose.     

No idea who Robby Benson is so had to Google him.  He seems to have been cursed with a bad heart.  That's exactly the problem my mother had - dodgy valve.  But she lasted until 90 so Robby Benson has a chance of being around longer.   Not that I'm ever likely to come across him. I saw his filmography is ongoing so at least he's managed to keep working even if it's for the Hallmark Channel. 

When I was going from Dubai to Bangkok a couple of years ago  - I was connecting from Budapest. I sat behind that bloke in the Hobbit movies, the Office, Sherlock and a few other shows like Fargo - Martin Freeman.  He was really small and with a  Thai looking woman. I presume it was his GF or assistant at the time. I'm average height and felt I was towering above him.    I just ignored him.  Usually if I see someone famous I totally ignore them unless they say something first.  Don't want to get in their faces.

Faye Dunaway is of course super famous.  I actually watched Bonny and Clyde just a few months ago for the umpteenth time.  Memorable film. I didn't really like her in The Thomas Crown Affair.  I always thought she was slightly evil looking, bit like Joan Crawford who could just curse you by giving you a stare.  Bit of an evil eye.

Interesting posts from both Fluffy and Marilyn, perhaps a tick older then I am, but I am impressed (but also interested) by the memory. My memory is much more vague unfortunately. I worked in quite a few countries and also was on holidays in many more, yes memories, but much less concrete, (my most explicit memories are about Sri Lanka (20 years ago or so) hotels, cooking, swimming, monkeys, but also squashed insects, tea, ..)
Also had some resort holidays recalling adorable cats, cold swimming pools, good food, hotel vouchers, ..
Family is also interesting, but I will not disclose (nothing to complain though)
Still when years pass by memories of "young" age remain more vivid rather then later.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Too funny.

I know who Robin Leach is or was.  I do remember watching that show sometimes.  I don't think it was shown much in the UK so maybe I saw it in a hotel.  That guy had a very unique and recognisable voice - half British and half American accent.  Made the show his own I suppose.     

No idea who Robby Benson is so had to Google him.  He seems to have been cursed with a bad heart.  That's exactly the problem my mother had - dodgy valve.  But she lasted until 90 so Robby Benson has a chance of being around longer.   Not that I'm ever likely to come across him. I saw his filmography is ongoing so at least he's managed to keep working even if it's for the Hallmark Channel. 

When I was going from Dubai to Bangkok a couple of years ago  - I was connecting from Budapest. I sat behind that bloke in the Hobbit movies, the Office, Sherlock and a few other shows like Fargo - Martin Freeman.  He was really small and with a  Thai looking woman. I presume it was his GF or assistant at the time. I'm average height and felt I was towering above him.    I just ignored him.  Usually if I see someone famous I totally ignore them unless they say something first.  Don't want to get in their faces.

Faye Dunaway is of course super famous.  I actually watched Bonny and Clyde just a few months ago for the umpteenth time.  Memorable film. I didn't really like her in The Thomas Crown Affair.  I always thought she was slightly evil looking, bit like Joan Crawford who could just curse you by giving you a stare.  Bit of an evil eye.

I get very uncomfortable if I am near a ,"famous" person.
They seem to have a certain vibe coming off of them.
Like "I'm famous".
My sister was super comfortable around these sorts. Her buddy was Pat Travers, used to hang with him when his band was touring Ca.
I have no idea how she could be so comfortable around these sorts.
My youngest bro's ex was a host for a recording studio and would take famous rock bands to dinner, make sure their hotels were treating them right and would make sure their every need was met. Not sure what the exact name of such a job is but she loved it and was good at it.
I remember how creepy I felt as a teenager when my friends and I hitched rides to Hollywood and went into the old Brown Derby restaurant for coffee. On our way out my friend saw Harry Belafonte eating lunch with a lady. She was polite but went up and asked for his autograph. At that moment I didn't even know who is was. He shook all of our hands and was super nice but I was wondering who he was. Found out later on.
Famous Hungarians, I don't know any really but we did go the a birthday party for Barta Tamas. My sister and her HU boyfriend knew him rather well. I hate to speak evil of the dead but he was a class one snob from the vibes coming off of him.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Too funny.

Like "I'm famous".
My sister was super comfortable around these sorts. Her buddy was Pat Travers, used to hang with him when his band was touring Ca.
My youngest bro's ex was a host for a recording studio and would take famous rock bands to dinner, make sure their hotels were treating them right and would make sure their every need was met. Not sure what the exact name of such a job is but she loved it and was good at it.
I remember how creepy I felt as a teenager when my friends and I hitched rides to Hollywood and went into the old Brown Derby restaurant for coffee. On our way out my friend saw Harry Belafonte eating lunch with a lady. She was polite but went up and asked for his autograph. At that moment I didn't even know who is was. He shook all of our hands and was super nice but I was wondering who he was. Found out later on.
Famous Hungarians, I don't know any really but we did go the a birthday party for Barta Tamas. My sister and her HU boyfriend knew him rather well. I hate to speak evil of the dead but he was a class one snob from the vibes coming off of him.

USA and UK despite the shared language are perhaps not so close as one might think.   

I vaguely know Pat Travers but he wasn't very mainstream in the UK and never really had any hits - none I could name anyway. 

Harry Belafonte we all know as he was popular in the UK as well what with coming from Jamaica.  He was in a few movies I've seen but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch anything he'd done. I would make a point of watching Sidney "Mr Tibbs" Poitier although he comes from the Bahamas.

My knowledge of Hungarian celebrities is zero, especially any modern ones,  but I do know who Bela Lugosi and of course, Tony Curtis were. Maybe one or two scientists like von Neumann or Teller.    Couldn't name a single one now as we don't watch TV here at all.  Mrs Fluffy watches cooking/chef or detective programmes sometimes while doing the ironing but our lives are dominated by Netflix but even there we've seen everything. 

We have been watching David Attenborough narrated wildlife programmes recently - really super photography.  Now there's a God of natural history TV but not sure how long we'll have him for.  He's looking a bit dodgy these days.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Like "I'm famous".

USA and UK despite the shared language are perhaps not so close as one might think.   

I vaguely know Pat Travers but he wasn't very mainstream in the UK and never really had any hits - none I could name anyway. 

Harry Belafonte we all know as he was popular in the UK as well what with coming from Jamaica.  He was in a few movies I've seen but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch anything he'd done. I would make a point of watching Sidney "Mr Tibbs" Poitier although he comes from the Bahamas.

My knowledge of Hungarian celebrities is zero, especially any modern ones,  but I do know who Bela Lugosi and of course, Tony Curtis were. Maybe one or two scientists like von Neumann or Teller.    Couldn't name a single one now as we don't watch TV here at all.  Mrs Fluffy watches cooking/chef or detective programmes sometimes while doing the ironing but our lives are dominated by Netflix but even there we've seen everything. 

We have been watching David Attenborough narrated wildlife programmes recently - really super photography.  Now there's a God of natural history TV but not sure how long we'll have him for.  He's looking a bit dodgy these days.

I  think Pat Travers biggest main stream hit was, Boom, boom, out go the lights.
My fave Hu actor has to be Peter Lorre, he was just so off beat and odd.
Yes, the UK and the US use very differnet expressions at times.
Asking for a "fag" is one for sure.
I know when we moved to Ca. from "Yankee" Conn. we were always being teased for our accent, we'd say quadda instead of quarter, wadda for water and my mom was confused with the word purse instead of  pocketbook, Kaa for car.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I  think Pat Travers biggest main stream hit was, Boom, boom, out go the lights.
I know when we moved to Ca. from "Yankee" Conn. we were always being teased for our accent, we'd say quadda instead of quarter, wadda for water and my mom was confused with the word purse instead of  pocketbook, Kaa for car.

Pat Travers, faded into obscurity.   Could have been as big as the Stones or Hendrix in the right circumstances.

Peter Lorre, now there's a blast from the past. I had completely forgotten about him.  His frog eye looks  were not his best feature but certainly his trademark earner.  He was a pretty good actor and not just a pretty face.   I've got a hankering for an old Peter Lorre movie now.

Pocketbook we don't use - we use purse or wallet.  Pants vs Trousers are a favourite but we could throw in Trews as well for a Scottish connection. 

Fag is a classic.  Fag is of course a cigarette.  Faggots are a type of meatball.  They can be quite nice with peas.  If a UK person was in the USA and went into a restaurant and asked if they "Do you serve faggots here?", then it'd be 50-50 what kind of answer you'd get, either "Yes, we are all inclusive" or "No, your kind will burn in hell, get out" but either way, you'd probably not get your meatballs.

Don't have to go far for a different accent in the UK - 20 to 30 miles and they'll all speak quite differently.  Very distinct differences.  I don't why but accents are everywhere in the UK.   There are local words too which outsiders just won't know. 

Mrs Fluffy says there are accents hereabouts  but I couldn't tell. I could tell an Austrian Hungarian relatively easily.  But a Polish person told me they don't have accents in Poland. I don't believe it myself.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Pat Travers, faded into obscurity.   Could have been as big as the Stones or Hendrix in the right circumstances.

Peter Lorre, now there's a blast from the past. I had completely forgotten about him.  His frog eye looks  were not his best feature but certainly his trademark earner.  He was a pretty good actor and not just a pretty face.   I've got a hankering for an old Peter Lorre movie now.

Pocketbook we don't use - we use purse or wallet.  Pants vs Trousers are a favourite but we could throw in Trews as well for a Scottish connection. 

Fag is a classic.  Fag is of course a cigarette.  Faggots are a type of meatball.  They can be quite nice with peas.  If a UK person was in the USA and went into a restaurant and asked if they "Do you serve faggots here?", then it'd be 50-50 what kind of answer you'd get, either "Yes, we are all inclusive" or "No, your kind will burn in hell, get out" but either way, you'd probably not get your meatballs.

Don't have to go for a different accent in the UK - 20 to 30 miles and they'll all speak quite differently.  Very distinct differences.  I don't why but accents are everywhere in the UK.   There are local words too which outsiders just won't know. 

Mrs Fluffy says there are accents hereabouts  but I couldn't tell. I could tell an Austrian Hungarian relatively easily.  But a Polish person told me they don't have accents in Poland. I don't believe it myself.

Yes, there are Hungarian accents within regions here. We had several Ca.HU friends from Szeged. My husband has the Budapest accent, whatever that is?
Weird thing with me, in Las Vegas when I was dealing cards people always asked me where I was from, not like what state I was from but what country. Not sure why maybe I have picked up a bit of a slight aloofness plus I tend to really pronounce my words. Learned it was better to speak very clearly as most of our friends were Hungarian back in the day and I hated to repeat myself all the time.
When I told players I was American they seemed to roll their eyes like I was fibbing.
Ok, guess I'm continental nowdays. Perfect as a world citizen.
Yes, love watching those old classic films sometimes.So much lost talent.
Was never a huge fan of singers like the Righteous Brothers but dang, now listening to them makes my hair stand on end. They were "righteous" for sure.
My step- father was a huge fan of Brenda Lee and Bobby Daren, his generation of music.
My mom was a huge Billie Holiday/Frank Sinatra /Nat King Cole fan.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, there are Hungarian accents within regions here. We had several Ca.HU friends from Szeged. My husband has the Budapest accent, whatever that is?
Weird thing with me, in Las Vegas when I was dealing cards people always asked me where I was from, not like what state I was from but what country. Not sure why maybe I have picked up a bit of a slight aloofness plus I tend to really pronounce my words. Learned it was better to speak very clearly as most of our friends were Hungarian back in the day and I hated to repeat myself all the time.
When I told players I was American they seemed to roll their eyes like I was fibbing.
Was never a huge fan of singers like the Righteous Brothers but dang, now listening to them makes my hair stand on end. They were "righteous" for sure.
My step- father was a huge fan of Brenda Lee and Bobby Daren, his generation of music.

OMG, that's done it now..

Bobby Darin was pretty good.  Mack the Knife is a great tune.  Nat King Cole was OK but in my mind a bit of a few hits wonder for me.  Righteous Brothers fantastic. Unchained Melody.  Great song much covered.

Any of those would be fine but oh dear, Frank Sinatra....definitely not....

I was open at one point to Frank and even have one of his albums. 

But then Frank blew it by singing one of the most stupid songs I've ever heard, namely "It was a very good year".

A tuneless dirge sung in a flat and cringe worthy way. 

Mrs Fluffy and I laugh every time we hear it for the ridiculous lyrics and pretentious delivery.    It's entered our folklore and we bring it up here and there and start laughing.

We heard someone famous say it was their fave song.  Don't remember who it was but they went right down in my admiration and off my Xmas card list.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

OMG, that's done it now..

Bobby Daren was pretty good.  Mack the Knife is a great tune.  Nat King Cole was OK but in my mind a bit of a few hits wonder for me.  Righteous Brothers fantastic. Unchained Melody.  Great song much covered.

Any of those would be fine but oh dear, Frank Sinatra....definitely not....

I was open at one point to Frank and even have one of his albums. 

But then Frank blew it by singing one of the most stupid songs I've ever heard, namely "It was a very good year".

A tuneless dirge sung in a flat and cringe worthy way. 

Mrs Fluffy and I laugh every time we hear it for the ridiculous lyrics and pretentious delivery.    It's entered our folklore and we bring it up here and there and start laughing.

We heard someone famous say it was their fave song.  Don't remember who it was but they went right down in my admiration and off my Xmas card list.

Frankie was good I suppose when he was a young singer. Some of his early films had some decent acting for a singer. Forget the name of the one where he is a singer( what a surprise role?!) and he gets his throat cut and he can't sing any longer.
My mom was a crazed teen and used to chase after Frank's tour bus with a thousand other girls. Cute to think  mom was so simple and happy then.
I have a soft spot in my heart for Nat King Cole songs. Not because i enjoy that sort of sappy music but my mother had a very nice singing nice and used to sing his songs when she cleaned the house. She had been a singer and tap dancer in the USO during the war.
Her only audience as a married housewife was us kids and perhaps the neighbors.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Frankie was good I suppose when he was a young singer. Some of his early films had some decent acting for a singer. Forget the name of the one where he is a singer( what a surprise role?!) and he gets his throat cut and he can't sing any longer.
My mom was a crazed teen and used to chase after Frank's tour bus with a thousand other girls. Cute to think  mom was so simple and happy then.
I have a soft spot in my heart for Nat King Cole songs. Not because i enjoy that sort of sappy music but my mother had a very nice singing nice and used to sing his songs when she cleaned the house. She had been a singer and tap dancer in the USO during the war.
Her only audience as a married housewife was us kids and perhaps the neighbors.

I quite liked Frank in the movies.  No problem with that.  He should have just laid off the crooning of that awful song.   

However, I remember a miserable film he made called "Some Came Running".  Despite Shirley McLaine winning an Oscar for it, it's not one to watch and cheer yourself up!

Bobby Darin was in a few films I liked too.  But shame he departed this Earth so early.  It was a short but impressive career. 

My Mum used to hum a bit around the house and was quite good on the electric organ as well.  She was able to play the Harry Lime theme at quite a lick. 

I used to think Vienna was more interesting than it is because of that Third Man movie.

Saw a post by someone in the UK wanting to buy a home in Hungary with a "budget" of 200 million forints.
Let's see without grabbing a pencil, that is close to $700,000.
I'd buy a condo in Honolulu before a house here fr that much cash.
Why would anyone advertise how much they are willing to spend on a home online to strangers?
Think someone is having a joke.
Things are soo uncertain right now I wouldn't buy anything anywhere at the moment.
As I'm writing,
Charlie is on the radio. Now that's a blast from the past.
Our ( So called) friends here hang with Charlie at different HU/US parties.
They also hang with some old olympic water polo dude from HU who now has his own law firm. Not even sure he went to law school but these "stars" and hero's of HU get special treatment and a yearly salary just for living.There is one "gross" so called rocker in HU from the 1960's who is always in the news or on tv shows. Not going to say is name but I find his music boring as heck, rather hear a drill then him.
He actually showed up down in the crypt in a church when we had a funeral for one  of his ex band memeber's who passed away in Hawaii. He stood off in the corner with another guy ( body guard?) was weird. Did notice him finally going over to the family as we were leaving the crypt, at least he did that much.
This dude was in our local district paper just this last edition. Why on earth is he still in the news, must be over 70 now and current at all.
My husband went to trade school with some guy on the HU wrestling team in the 60's. He said the guy was never in class and never learned a thing about machining. If he ever was in class or working in the factory he always got the super easy jobs that required no skill .

I would be happy to sell my house for that price, I would be suspicious though and would not contact this person. He really should contact for example DH

cdw057 wrote:

I would be happy to sell my house for that price, I would be suspicious though and would not contact this person. He really should contact for example DH

My mom's old house is worth more then 200 million now and it isn't worth a fraction of the amount in reality.
It's crazy how prices vary upon location.
Really though he should have no problem being contacted by sellers at that insane price.
I see a scam coming.
Years back we almost bought land on Maui, upcountry with all utilities already to go for $10,000.What was wrong with us? We waited too long as usual.

Speaking about Hungary, I think living here has changed me in many ways.
This morning I saw a post on FB from my deceased friend's brother.
It was a photo of their 93 year old father on his birthday.
He looks fit and is still living on his own in his own home in Ca.
He used to build sets for movies and tv shows.
Well, I looked at the comments from people who were wishing him a Happy BD.
One said, "well, you've outlived them all". What? Maybe that is funny in America?
Not to me, not at all, I knew his wife, his MIL his son and of course my friend who passed just 15 months ago on my BD.
Another comment said he was "still a stud".
I can't even imagine giving an elderly man a message like that here in Hungary. Wouldn't even dream of doing anything so brash.
I don't think I'd fit in society in the US any longer.. as if I ever did!

Maybe we should take all this to Absolutely Anything Else