Moving to Bahrain

Hey All....
I am meant to arrive sometime in Feb...but am unsure if we should ship our car or get one there?  How does registration work if we buy in Bahrain?

Also read loads of things saying not to bring our bikes or drive our scooters....that bad?  Worse than Riyadh and Kuwait? or China?  LOL

Also trying to decide the area to live...any suggestions would be great

Tama

Well, depends where you are shipping your car from.  There is absolutely no point in shipping from outside the region as then your car won't be "GCC specced" and in the hot weather, it won't survive.  A friend shipped his Audi from the US and in the summer, the entire dashboard area, literally melted........besides the fact that the car AC didn't work properly in summer prior to that.  Keep in mind that cars that are sold here are certified with GCC specs..........the summers here, in centigrade, are usually 40-45 degrees and can even reach 50 degrees on some days.  Couple that with the dust etc. and cars from other parts of the world don't survive here.   On top, you will face tremendous bureaucracy in bringing in a car.  So absolutely avoid if you can.

Registration is straightforward.  If you buy a new car, the dealer will handle all of that for you.  For used, it just requires a trip to the traffic office.   You can bring your bikes and scooters.  Riyadh/Kuwait are much much worse than Bahrain so no worries.

On where to live, search the previous threads for advice that has already been given. Figure out your place of work and schools (if you have kids) first - that will make it easier.

That's great to know, not one person told us to buy a car there...good stuff thank you!

Tama

It depends. I shipped my vehicle here from the east coast and had no issues to date.  If your vehicle is in good to excellent condition and you maintain it all will be well.  If its a hooptee leave that home.

You can buy one here, either for cash used or new from a dealer. Remember the exchange rate is~ $2.70  to 1BD so the cost would possibly be more. On average what I have seen is $4000USD and up for used.  Just like any where else on the planet, if you plan to buy used, get it checked by a mechanic first.

Registration in easy for the most part, there are agents also that you can use to take care of that for you and its relatively inexpensive.

Talk to your employer or your sponsor to get better insight as to what maybe the best option for you.

Bahrain is different, but a wonderful place to live

Thank You...will talk with employer to see as well if they have a certain agent to help with this.

i can help you for what you want any time ... you are welcome