Living in Hungary for 29 years

First of all good morning to all. I have read the forums and am very interested in other peoples views. After watching the election results last night and was happy there will be a change in leadership I started thinking about my future. Living anywhere in the world is tough now. When I walk outside to go shopping or the post office I look at peoples faces and see depression and concern. I have a hard time handling it so I rather going swimming to clear the brain cells and recharge myself. Since March 16 I have been without a job and eating my savings but my parter and I have put together a web shop daninvest.hu and put tourism and traveling on the shelve for awhile which is really tough for me as I love to jump in the car and go to Vienna or on a plane to Italy etc. This has been a learning year and a year of economical planning. Am in depressed NO. Concerned Yes and feeling sorry for others I DONT KNOW. Being a British,American Hungarian living in Europe for most of my life, walking and cleaning have been my savor for this year. I feel locked up with the Panademic but I say Rob keep going you have about 20 years in your motor. Hungarian people are interesting as when they say can I ask one question it turns to be a 15 minute discussions. I have learned to be selective on whom I speak to and answer the phone to. Privacy is very important along with security and trusting the close network of family and friends. It is a tough world out there and please everyone make a good meal and think of every moment is important. When my mother Emilia was alive. She said Son you need to smell the roses for one minute a day and think before you act. It is something I remember everyday as reaction is not good. Thanks for reading my first post. Have a great Sunday. Rob

Thanks for sharing Rob.
Yes these are "Strange Days" to quote The Doors.
We all have a lot of questions about what the heck is really going on.
New pres. in the US. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point if the game show has just begun. He may refuse to leave office or he might declare some sort of different national emergency and say he won't go.
I've tried hard to remove myself from most worldy worries, at least those I can walk away from.
Policts is one of them.
As my mother said all the time, "We never know what day we will leave earth so enjoy it while you can" Try to do no harm but if you do by accidnet then say so and don't walk away from what you've done wrong.
She was raised by Indians, I mean real native Americans so she always had some "wise words" which she heard from her old granny who smoked a pipe( wonder what she was smoking actually) and had the preacher come for tea every week.(I could use some of whatever granny was smoking at this point!)
Hungary is a good enough place as anywhere else.
Don't allow your mind to get the better of you thinking I'd love to be here or go there, there is a world to discover in your own mind and there is always U tube travel videos to watch, at least until they shut down the networks.
Just be happy and ready for anything, like i said we are now part of the game show.
looking forward to see other comments here and I know it's all in good fun to express ourselves online. We are all in this together even if the media says different.
PS, best of luck with your online work.My son has moved to Japan and is doing soemthing online now too.He is a bit luck because he is mostly a gamer person and hates going anywhere, this pandamic is right up his alley... Sad really. Come to think of it, I hope my boy isn't doing anything silly like starting a "fans Only" page! Just kidding, have to find some humor when things look dark.Actaully the sun is out and time to enjoy some vitamin D if there is any to be had behind the chemtrials .

robert1218 wrote:

First of all good morning to all. I have read the forums and am very interested in other peoples views. After watching the election results last night and was happy there will be a change in leadership I started thinking about my future. Living anywhere in the world is tough now. When I walk outside to go shopping or the post office I look at peoples faces and see depression and concern. I have a hard time handling it so I rather going swimming to clear the brain cells and recharge myself. Since March 16 I have been without a job and eating my savings but my parter and I have put together a web shop daninvest.hu and put tourism and traveling on the shelve for awhile which is really tough for me as I love to jump in the car and go to Vienna or on a plane to Italy etc. This has been a learning year and a year of economical planning. Am in depressed NO. Concerned Yes and feeling sorry for others I DONT KNOW. Being a British,American Hungarian living in Europe for most of my life, walking and cleaning have been my savor for this year. I feel locked up with the Panademic but I say Rob keep going you have about 20 years in your motor. Hungarian people are interesting as when they say can I ask one question it turns to be a 15 minute discussions. I have learned to be selective on whom I speak to and answer the phone to. Privacy is very important along with security and trusting the close network of family and friends. It is a tough world out there and please everyone make a good meal and think of every moment is important. When my mother Emilia was alive. She said Son you need to smell the roses for one minute a day and think before you act. It is something I remember everyday as reaction is not good. Thanks for reading my first post. Have a great Sunday. Rob

Tell me about it.   I'm feeling hemmed in by the virus now and we're all fed up too (sunny day helps improve the mood). Previously it was free for all - could go anywhere by plane at short notice and driving around Europe, no problem. 

I've been trying to go to the UK for about a month and I've reached attempt four this weekend.  Every time I try and go my travel is cancelled.   Basically it's rubbish.    We were out in the car and in the space of a few km we saw three ambulances with their blues and twos on (UK: blue flashing lights and two tone horns).   The  virus is looking like it's spiking now.   Apparently they are asking anyone who can to help in hospitals now - no qualifications required. 

BTW, the US election doesn't mean very much now Biden is President elect.  Trump will be sidelined for a while, everyone is on an Obama-style high but DT isn't out of the action yet as he apparently plans a right wing TV misinformation station.  Anyways, from over here, Obama didn't do that much other than the ACA (Affordable Care Act) which seems weak compared to universal health care.  Maybe Biden will bring in something to enhance it.   If only those Trumpist a-kissers Mitch McConnell and turncoat Lindsey Graham weren't out too. 

My current interest is what Orban, Lukashenko and that religious nut guy in charge in Poland will do now they've lost their sponsor.  Apparently Orban has not congratulated Biden.  Those guys aren't going to be Ridin' the Biden wave.

If you've got multiple citizenships and aren't too invested, then you can always leave.  I'm British only and I've been here 26 years.  Where to go?

Since the Brexit thing I feel the UK has stabbed everyone British and on the mainland/continent in the back and leaving us all in the doo-doo.   And the Hungarians are just ignoring the issue by deferring to Brussels and not being active participants.  All the trade is not important to those on the ground who need to know what will happen to them - we want free movement, transferable health care and all that. 

I was in favour of Brexit but now I think it would have been better to stay in and try to reform. Orban does it for his own agenda from the inside so there's nothing to say the UK couldn't have done the same without selling out those of us integrated in the EU.

Sorry, my US laptop is in death mode and I refuse to try and learn the HU keybord on the one we have recently purhased. ( Knew I should of picked one up last Vegas visit)O button has fallen off, eyes are going south and brain has been on WiFi a bit too long...

I honestly feel badly for all young folks.
I am happy as a clam to be able to not mix with people as much as I had to in the work force.
It really does break my heart to think of what children and young aduts are going through right now.
In was raised a bit "weird" my mother as head of the house ( dad was a flake but a ton of fun) Always made us children be alone on purpose for hours. There would be other children banging on the door for us to play and she wouldn't allow us out, other times we were free to paly until the st. lights went out. Still not sure if that was a "Native thing" to make you reley only on yourself or if my mother was meanner then heck.Think the former.

Could be a "Native" thing or perhaps she was a bit mental.
Often she would try to teach us to play by ourselves, if we spoke to loud or too much, she would put tape over our moths and tell us to look inside oursevles.
Sitting on a chair for an hour or more on you fingers to teach you to sit still and not  fidgea,
Sounds like child abuse but now I understand what she was trying to teach us.
There are 2 worlds, one outside and one inside.
Whatever is going on ATM worldwide is a panned event, at least I see that.
No matter how rich you  are, where you live, you are now being shown how little those in real power care about the little people.
I know I may seem extreme  but this is how I see things going down.
No fear and no worries, in the end it will all balance out.
I'd love ATM to be in SE Asia with my husband as we had planned to do this year but if it doesn't happen , it's all good.
Sometimes things are out of our control and we have to learn to deal with it.
I seriously do pray everyday and actually several times in the day for everyone , no matter their race, religion or where they live.
OK, end of ,"Hippie me"  what is for dinner?
Oh Yes, it will all be alright in the end.
Where to go, not exactly sure but something told my son to say F it to becoming a shift manager in Vegas , let a lower level person take the job and sell out , throw everything away and move to Japan. Either is was crazy or had a angle teod  him everything was about to go down hard. The difference in jobs from floor manager to shift manager was huge too.
I wish everyone the best and do not give up or let evil win.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Sorry, my US laptop is in death mode and I refuse to try and learn the HU keyboard on the one we have recently purchased. ( Knew I should of picked one up last Vegas visit)O button has fallen off, eyes are going south and brain has been on WiFi a bit too long...

Just buy an external US keyboard and plug  it in the USB port.  Then you don't need the keyboard labels on the actual machine.   If you can type without looking at the keyboard, then just install the configurations for US keyboards and select it in the toolbar when you want it to be in either language (or more).

Just a heads-up: you need to show a few more details about your company on the site, or expect to be fined: https://webfolio.hu/torvenyileg-kotelez … mpresszum/

Dear Fluffy,

Like you it is frustating not to be able to travel around Europe. We had to cancel our trip in September to Italy which we made in the beginning of the year.
I was against Brexit and now see how the pound is getting closer to the Euro.....
It is sad of the amount of layoffs in the Tourism, Airline and Hospitality sector all over the world.
I myself have suffered from this economic crisis as I was involved in the management of hotels here locally, but I have learned to move on and keep each day as a new challenge.
Hoping that the spike in the virus calms down and there will be a vacine.....oh well off to my day.
Keep well and thanks for adding to the Forum. All the best Rob

Thanks for the heads up. I am reading your article and will watch out. Have a good one.

robert1218 wrote:

Dear Fluffy,

Like you it is frustating not to be able to travel around Europe. We had to cancel our trip in September to Italy which we made in the beginning of the year.
I was against Brexit and now see how the pound is getting closer to the Euro.....
It is sad of the amount of layoffs in the Tourism, Airline and Hospitality sector all over the world.
I myself have suffered from this economic crisis as I was involved in the management of hotels here locally, but I have learned to move on and keep each day as a new challenge.
Hoping that the spike in the virus calms down and there will be a vacine.....oh well off to my day.
Keep well and thanks for adding to the Forum. All the best Rob

I think it's a "hope for the best, plan for the worst" situation.  I don't think the virus will be beaten with a vaccine in the long term.  It's already morphing in Denmark with mink as the reservoir with fears it could bounce back into humans.  If it merged with influenza (I'm no expert) then that would be horrible. It looks like all this weirdness of quarantine and lockdowns will become the norm.

There's a free for all discussion without a specific topic at the Absolutely Anything Else thread.