Marriage and visa

hi all my name is sunil
i live in brazil last 5 years i hv perment document (RNA) bank statement m working here also my father hv company in brazil i want to  invite my wife she live in india which documents needed nd process plz help me (i hv alreday marrige certificate )
thank u

Hi Sunil,

How are You? So about Your wife, as I understood you are married in India? If that is the case, she needs to to the embassy of Brasil in India and she needs to conzulate that document, and every other that they will ask her for. My case is simplier because I have married here and my husband is Brasilian.

Your wife needs to take your marriage certificate to the Consulado-Geral do Brasil (in Mumbai or New Delhi whichever has jurisdiction over your city there) and apply for a VIPER Permanent Visa based on family reunion, she will need certified copies of your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro proving that you are a permanent resident. NOTE: YOU MUST BE A PERMANENT RESIDENT AND NOT JUST ON SOME TEMPORARY VISA

hello new here

am barun, i get marry to a brazilian girl and she is now there in sao paulo and am planning to go there in next three months. please can anybody tell me how much brl it will required to spend including translation, marriage fee, notary etc if required...

thanks for reply...

Hello barun.dash786,

Before you start even thinking about the cost of getting married here in Brazil I suggest that you concern yourself with actually obtaining a VITUR Tourist Visa that is going to allow you to stay in the country long enough to actually get through the marriage process. Even if you have all of the necessary documents ready and they're in perfect order it takes over a month for expats to get through the process of marriage here in Brazil.

If you have never applied for a Brazilian visa and been to this country before it is quite unlikely that you're going to be granted a visa that will allow anything but a very short stay on your first application. Usually longer visits are granted to citizens of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh ONLY following one successful visit and returning to their homeland. See the following topic posting:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=201090

It's probably going to be much easier for your future bride to come to India, for you two to get married there, register the marriage with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Mumbai and then apply for your permanent visa there. That's exactly what most of your fellow countrymen end up doing.

See the following Consulado website for visa requirements:

http://mumbai.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/to … tur%29.xml

Cheers,
James        Expat-blog Experts Team

I agree with James when I got married in Brazil I had all the right document. I was told it would still be two months before we could be married at the public building. This is the only place you can be married legally in Brazil. They will assign you a day and time to be there. They take you to a local office and do large groups marriages We were one of 20 to 30 couples to get married on that day. Its a sit and wait to get called up to the Judge to get marriage only took maybe 10 minutes for marriage to be done. It cost me with all my document translated sent to local consulate in your home country to be legalized about $2000.00 dollars Depending on how many document to have translated. Here is a post I did showing all the document need to get married in Brazil. These were all accept no other were need on first try. You girlfriend should know and help you. Beware of Brazil woman I am now in a divorce with my Brazilian wife she took me for 25K. Good luck
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=150290

thank you both for the guidance...James

From Vegas, sorry for your situation...but i can trust on my wife and we got marry with our parents understanding as per indian culture...and i hope this will work and last for long life...

Again...you means its better to call her again in india and get marry in consulate general in brasil in india....and then apply for the permanent visa...also can you guys also guide me that am a interior designer and had a retail store planning and residential designing experience, can i expect a good job in my field there...

You got married in India I know if you get married in another country you will still have to present documents to Brazil consulate. They need to be approved and maybe translated not sure. I never register our marriage with the US consulate but did start process for green card. So this may have put it in the US system. The website I wrote was how you get married in Brazil not if you were married in another country.

friends...i hope you all will guide me for my best

@vegas12...

okay i understood...but it states that if i go on tourist visa and then marry her again there, it will cost me more...

also is there anybody who can guide for interior designer job there....

Hi barun.dash786,

Yes you can get married on a VITUR Tourist Visa, what I told you is that you will NOT get a VITUR Tourist Visa that allows you enough time to do so. Most people in other countries are issued a 5 year visa that permits a 90 day stay, which can be extended to 180 total. Brazil does not issue this kind of visa for citizens of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh on their first application. They will only usually give a one time only visa that allows a stay of anywhere from one week to a month maximum. ONLY AFTER ONE VISIT TO BRAZIL and returning to your homeland might you be considered for a longer visa.

Since the marriage process takes more than 1 month you couldn't get married here until you are granted a longer visa. You also can't get married on an expired visa. So even if you have all the documents ready, applied at the Cartório for permission to marry "habilitação de casamento" on your very first day in Brazil you still couldn't do it in time.

Cheers,
James

@James

but my wife said i will get a tourist visa for 3 months and in that three months we can marry and then put process for PR visa and the receipt i will get, can show for to stay longer here until i get my PR...is that true ??

Hello barun.dash786,

Trust me I have been dealing with the bureaucracy here in Brazil for over 13 years and I know what I'm talking about.

If you have never been granted a VITUR Tourist Visa for Brazil before, as a citizen of India (or Pakistan or Bangladesh) you WILL NOT be granted a 5 year, 90 day visit visa on your first application. It just isn't going to happen, obviously your girlfriend in not aware of the different treatment given in consideration of visas for citizens of your country.

If you want to waste your time and money trying to get a VITUR Tourist Visa then when it comes back limited to a one-time-only 7 - 30 day visit visa, you have been informed that this is exactly what will happen.

I've been advising members from your country and the others mentioned for years now, and you can believe me when I tell you it will be far easier for your girlfriend to come to India and the two of you get married there.

You've asked for advice, and I have given you the very best advice that you are going to receive. I find it strange that you simply do not want to accept it, since it isn't what you WANT to hear.

Please, go apply for your VITUR, but when the end result is what you've already been told - please don't come back here posting a complaint.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

hi James

Pls don't be offended and thanks for the opinion and advice, I think that is the only perfect way to get marry in India in Brazil consulate and then apply for the vitur visa. it was just Bcoz now again we have to spend money for her return air ticket and again to go for both

but still considering the beaurocracy that your advice is seen to be better

You don't get married in the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in India, you get married wherever Indian citizens normally marry. You just need to REGISTER that local marriage at the Consulado afterwards. NOTE: It must be the Brazilian citizen that actually presents the Marriage Certificate and other documents (in person) to register the marriage.

also it is same for PR holders from Brazil I mean if she is from other country but having Brazil PR visa which is valid

No, that changes the whole thing completely. If she's not a Brazilian citizen then you can only get married here in Brazil and apply for Permanência Definitiva com base em Reunião Familiar. The requirements are different too.

So now you have no other option than to apply for a VITUR and hope that you can get one that's going to allow you to stay in Brazil for 90 days.

You should have stated that in your first posting. What you said there was, "am barun, i get marry to a brazilian girl and she is now there in sao paulo..." She is not a Brazilian girl then. That makes all the difference in the world and is going to complicate things greatly for you.

my apology James

I thought if she is having PR means there is no difference but then she told me ask this now when I told her about the complicated situation but she is also no Indian, she is Peruvian and had a PR I Brazil

so now I have to go for your last advice ??

Hi James

appreciated your guidance for above query...please can you advise me that now should go for tourist visa to brazil...

thanks for the reply

You need to apply at your local Brazilian consulate in India. Here in the states my visa is good for 10 years and visit for 6 months a year. It cost me $165 for the 10 years visa. Here a website that tell you what you need to do to get the visa
http://novadelhi.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us … mation.xml

Hello barun.dash 786,

To find out exactly what the requirements for obtaining a VITUR Tourist Visa for citizens of India, go back up to my posting (Reply #45) on this thread. Click on the link at the bottom of that reply which is the link to the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Mumbai. It explains everything. The link is to their English language pages.

Cheers,
James

thanks to both of you for your guidance...

please can anybody also tell can i get a work for interior designing their...??

For expats, finding a job is extremely difficult because Brazilian law requires all employers to prove that they have exhausted all efforts to place a qualified Brazilian in any job vacancy before they can hire a foreign national to fill it.

You will probably stand a much greater chance, as an interior designer, in working as an independent service provider, seeking your own clients and simply working under contract to each client.

Cheers,
James

oh wow....then i would love to come there bcoz i love my profession a lot and guys thanks again for your help...i think i should try for tourist visa now and seek a letter of application from my wife...will offcourse post here once am there...

i hope there also you will help me...in case

thanks...

Just remember that you cannot legally work in Brazil on a VITUR Tourist Visa, for that you'd require a VITEM-V Work Visa (requires an employment contract with a Brazilian company) or a VIPER Permanent Visa (marriage, Brazilian child, retired, investor, etc.)

hi i am now working in saudi arabia basically from pakistan i got love with a brazilian lady and we both want to marry so how we get marry and what is the procedeure that i move to brazil
how i get my visa to brazil

It's almost impossible for citizens of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh to obtain VITUR Tourist Visas that would allow a stay long enough to get through the lengthy marriage process (30 - 45 days min.) before their visa expires. On a first ever application for a Brazilian visa you're lucky if the give you anywhere from 1 week to 30 days, tops!!! Only after one successful visit and returning home would the consider you for a longer visa on a subsequent application.

I have advised numerous members from India and Pakistan on marriage here, and it's almost impossible. Much better if your girlfriend comes to where you are, you get married there and then register the marriage with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the country where the marriage takes place. Then following that you can apply for permanency through the Consulado.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

ok thanks bro

Hi jastsaqqi,

You might find the following 2 topic threads helpful:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=376293https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=201090

The following topic has been closed, but it is worth reading my response on it too since it directly relates to Pakistanis wanting to marry a Brazilian:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463490

Cheers,

Hi my friend,

I see you have lots of knowledge and I'd like to ask.

Im brazilian living in the same name country, I got married to a palestinian here last year, then he left back for his country to work. In one month he will apply for a tourist visa again, and if it get denyed, even showing he is in a public job for over 2 years and has enough funds to stay for 2 weeks, what in your opinion should we try? Sending him an invitation letter plus the marriage certificate to get the tourist visa?

Also, if applying for a permanent visa in Brazil takes that long, in this meanwhile would it make it easier for him to come visit me? He may move to Brazil next year only, but still we aren't sure.

Many thks

jastsaqqi wrote:

ok thanks bro

Man why don't u get married by procuration here I did it

alicekfs wrote:
jastsaqqi wrote:

ok thanks bro

Perhaps he's never been in Brazil before or didn't arrange for a "Casamento por Procuração" while he was. It can't be arranged from outside Brazil. Both parties must go to the Cartório together in person to apply for the marriage.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello alicekfs,

Well if he can get a VITUR Tourist Visa, it would be much better for him to come here and apply for permanency while actually in Brazil, because the new procedures since Sept.1, 2014 have sped things up considerably and if all the documents are in order then permanency is granted immediately. He should get all his documents ready before leaving for Brazil.

If for some reason he has trouble obtaining another VITUR Tourist Visa then he could apply for a VIPER Permanent Visa at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in his home country and wait for it to be processed. (Usually 3 - 6 months)

Either way, all the documents necessary for Permanency based on marriage are the same.

For more information read the following topic:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=403321

Cheers,

James wrote:
alicekfs wrote:
jastsaqqi wrote:

ok thanks bro

Perhaps he's never been in Brazil before or didn't arrange for a "Casamento por Procuração" while he was. It can't be arranged from outside Brazil. Both parties must go to the Cartório together in person to apply for the marriage.

Cheers,

No need, I got married by procuration while my husband was in his country, he must write a letter in his country and name anyone he likes here to represent him

James wrote:

Hello alicekfs,

Well if he can get a VITUR Tourist Visa, it would be much better for him to come here and apply for permanency while actually in Brazil, because the new procedures since Sept.1, 2014 have sped things up considerably and if all the documents are in order then permanency is granted immediately. He should get all his documents ready before leaving for Brazil.

If for some reason he has trouble obtaining another VITUR Tourist Visa then he could apply for a VIPER Permanent Visa at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in his home country and wait for it to be processed. (Usually 3 - 6 months)

Either way, all the documents necessary for Permanency based on marriage are the same.

For more information read the following topic:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=403321

Cheers,

Thank you my friend,

We can't wait that long for him getting a permanent coz his vacation's gonna be between June and August. Can't he apply for tourist and show docs about our marriage?

If he can get a VITUR Tourist Visa for Brazil nothing prevents him from coming to Brazil as a tourist and applying for permanency once he arrives. In fact, that is probably the best way to go about it since once he applies here (based on marriage) he has the right to remain in Brazil, obtain a work permit (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS) and to work in this country. If all of the necessary documents are present and in order then permanency is granted immediately upon application. So, I would advise him to start preparing the necessary documents for permanency and get them ready now. The most important thing is getting the VITUR Tourist Visa, since he appears to have already been granted one for Brazil I see no reason that they wouldn't grant another.

NOTE: It would be better in this case NOT to mention anything about the marriage at the Consulado, it may complicate the application for the VITUR as a visa issuing officer may insist that he apply for a VIPER instead, which by law is not necessary.

Also coming to Brazil as a "tourist" he's going to need an outbound ticket dated for the end of the permitted stay. This is not necessarily a RETURN ticket, but rather just a ticket to some other country he can enter because he already holds a visa or can enter without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program. If he can enter any of the surrounding South American countries then a "throw away" bus ticket to Paraguay, Argentina, Uruguay, etc., will satisfy this requirement and will be a lot cheaper.

Cheers,

I don't know how you managed "Casamento por Procuração" in Brazil if your husband was not present at the Cartório in Brazil to arrange it. It is required by law. Both parties must be present at the Cartório and the foreign national applying must be within his/her legal visa stay in order to apply. If you did it any other way than that I would be extremely concerned about the legality and validity of your marriage. If this was arranged by a lawyer, it may even have been some kind of scam and you're not legally married at all. Better check!!!

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team.

Thank you my friend, we gonna do as you told.

About the procuration, its possible, I know lots of cases of foreigners coming from middle east, fall in "love" with brazilians throught facebook, get their tourist visa refused since they are unemployed. Most of cases the brazilian woman overprotected by her family, won't be able to leave brazil. Then they apply for a procutarion to make it easier for foreigners to come. Here I found a website of a lawyer talking about it, search for the word "estrangeiro" at the coments and see his answers. Also you can ask any cartório de registro civil.

http://www.notariado.org.br/blog/?link= … mp;cod=210

Hello alicekfs,

It's clear that you completely misunderstand the legislation surrounding "Casamento por Procuração" (Proxy Marriage).

Yes, while the law permits a marriage to take place through "Procuração Público" when one or both of the parties are for some reason unable to attend the cerimony.

The legislation requires that BOTH parties must be physically present at the Cartório in order to request "Habilitação de Casamento" (permission to marry). That is required by Brazilian law. This means that the foreign national must be present in Brazil, during the validity of his/her visa stay, attend the Cartório in person with the Brazilian party in order for both to sign all the necessary documents that would permit the marriage to go ahead. The legislation DOES NOT provide for this process to be initiated from outside Brazil or by only one of the parties from within the country. Please check the current legislation before you post information that is completely inacurate since it will induce other members to error and cost them considerable amounts of money.

I have been dealing with situations just like this for over 13 years now and have researched the laws extensively. I do know what I am talking about.

If you were to read it correctly even the link you have provided makes this absolutely clear:

"A lei permite aos cônjuges que não possam, por qualquer motivo, estar presentes na celebração do seu próprio matrimônio, que se façam representar por procurador bastante, munido de poderes especiais, necessariamente através de instrumento público, feito por tabelião de notas, com prazo de validade de noventa dias e menção inequívoca do outro contraente."

The foreign national must make a "Procuração Público", at the Cartório here in Brazil setting out the powers of the proxy and this cannot be done elsewhere.

Cheers,