Home schooling

Hello everyone. I am a qualified teacher from the UK and have decided to home school my children this coming school year. I wanted to hear from anyone who has done similar and what the experience was like? My main concern is the following school year and not having documentation from the Ministry. Has anyone overcome this issue, and what did you do when your children returned to an educational facility?

Thank you in advance!

Good question.  I would think that when you say home schooling that you will enrol in a home school program that will provide you with grading and a certificate of completion.  If so, then I would say that it should be sufficient as part of the enrollment process but it may depend upon the school you are enrolling to.  Private or public might make a difference.  If not, then it will be back to the previous grade.

IMHO

I am sure their will be someone that can give you more factual opinions...

Personally, I would and may still choose to do so.  It's a wait and see game for the moment.  Could change as soon as Monday when the Ministry of Ed announces school opening procedures.

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I am actually not considering using a home school program. I have created my own curriculum that I am using with my children and will be grading them as I always have done when working in schools. I know that many parents who come for only part of the year choose to home school their children; I would really like to know of any who have done it themselves and then gone back into private schooling.

Both of our children attended the local intl school for first five years and then did a modern education program online. Was the best educational decision we ever made. They got their socialization while surfing, kiting and playing football (soccer). There are numerous online schools but they attended Forest Trail Academy. We traveled during the school year and it worked out great. They only need to bring their laptop. This builds a self starter and means they actually had a life while everyone else was in school. They were not waiting for the slowest kid in class and recess was their sports. no wasted time like in a traditional school. They had to read lots of books to complete the program and both now enjoy reading. it takes about 3.5 - 4 hours per day and they accomplished more each day than at the intl school. The youngest was a competitive athlete and when she traveled to compete they let her put her studies on hold. it was wonderful. Both got in to top universities and are now college grads. Good luck and best to you. -- Not a plug for FTA but they were great. fabulous curriculum, same as Intl school and AP classes too.   Steven in Cabarete

Does anyone know what is the process to homeschool your child in the Dominican Republic?