Kids Activities in Cabarete

Hola expats!  I plan to spend the Summer 2011 in Cabarete learning Spanish, doing the merengue, eating beans and rice, and hanging out on the beach.  I have a 10-year-old son (he'll be 11 by then) who has travelled with me since he was one.  Now that he's older, it's harder to keep him entertained. 

I will enroll us both in Spanish immersion classes at Cabarete Language Institute (any reviews on this school are welcome) and my understanding is that we will be in class from 10am-1pm on weekdays.  On weekends we will likely explore the rest of the country and do some of the more touristy activities like horseback riding and the waterpark.

However, it would be great if he could have other kids to hang out with, particularly during the week.  I'd like to know where there's a good place for him to meet other children his age to hang out with during the summer. Initially, he will not know much Spanish so I expect him to experience quite a bit of culture shock.  This will be the first time we've spent a significant amount of time immersed in another culture and I want to be prepared to move him away from the typical vacation mindset and on to a more authentic day-to-day experience.  Is there anything the equivalent of a community center, Boy's and Girl's Club, or swim team (he's on one here in Maryland) in Cabarete? Any suggestions that you could provide would be much appreciated.

Hi travelmaven, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will give you some advice about kids activities in Cabarete and share their expat experience with you.

I wish you good luck :)
Christine

Boy with not haveing kids my self this is a hard one for me. I know ther is no organized "kids club" and with him being in shcool (spanish0 every day this may be hard.
However you might look here http://www.issosua.com/ for some idea on what kind of programs may be available.  This is one of the top international schools (kids from all over the world) in the country and is in Sosua. This is about 15 min from Cabarete.  They may have a total summer program for him or at least an idea on where to look.
Sorry I could not be of more help

Bob K

Thanks for your reply.  I have contacted ISS and am awaiting their reply.

You could also try Sea Horse Ranch.  They have summer programs for kids that include tennis, horseback riding and swimming.  Their number is 809-571-3880.