Looking for friends. Housing, suggestions

[Hi,
I'm beginning the journey of research and planning to move to Costa Rica. I am semi retired from healthcare and business and am now pursuing my artistic and creative endeavors.
I read somewhere to beware of crime and saw a do not travel advisory due to crime as well as COVID.

Can someone tell me where I should NOT BE looking as far as high crime areas go? Also, I'll be renting when I get there so guidance in that area would be helpful.

I've been to guanacaste for vacay and fell in love.
I'd like to meet new folk , creatives or not on here and hopefully keep in contact once I arrive.
I'll be coming with my cat.

Any help, guidance or kind words are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Shesabuddha wrote:

[Hi,
I'm beginning the journey of research and planning to move to Costa Rica. I am semi retired from healthcare and business and am now pursuing my artistic and creative endeavors.
I read somewhere to beware of crime and saw a do not travel advisory due to crime as well as COVID.

Can someone tell me where I should NOT BE looking as far as high crime areas go? Also, I'll be renting when I get there so guidance in that area would be helpful.

I've been to guanacaste for vacay and fell in love.
I'd like to meet new folk , creatives or not on here and hopefully keep in contact once I arrive.
I'll be coming with my cat.

Any help, guidance or kind words are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I don't know why no one has responded... Maybe your question is too broad.
The only high crime areas I know are San Jose area, and Limon on the east coast.

Of course if you leave stuff visible in your car in a location where it can be broken into without anyone seeing  them do it, then any place can be "high crime".

Do not leave valuables visible in your car and if renting a car make sure you keep it in sight as much as possible. Rental cars are targets for thieves as they figure a rich gringo must be using it. And usually trunks are easy to "pop" open. Not sure it works but I like the idea of carrying a blanket or sheet or something to cover stuff up so they can't see what is under it (suitcases, briefcases etc). Or even put stuff in big black trashbags so they look like trash.

That said, it doesn't happen that often and I've only ever known one person whose car was broken into and they saw his laptop and stole it. He might have even left the door unlocked...? Definitely if you have valuable electronics carry them in your hand with you or hide them under the seat or ?

So... If you like Guanacaste I'd look there. CR has so many different climates you should stick with what you know and like.

Rent for 6 mo to a year if you can before buying.

As to the warning re COVID, not sure when you saw that but all I can say is the USA has a lot of nerve if it's warning about ANY country's COVID stats, since at this time and for quite some time now the USA has been THE #1 WORST PLACE IN THE WORLD re the virus due to the way it has been mismanaged! Or NOT managed!

As to crime it's the same here as in the USA pretty much. The worst thing is Ticos or Nicas breaking into homes/ burglary. That does happen especially if your house is visible from the street and is not well secured with bars, fence etc. Depends on the area, too, which is why you should rent a while, ask questions, find out how safe it is around there.

If you live in the country you need to keep your cat inside or it'll be coyote or puma or ? food.
If you live in the city you need to keep your cat inside or it will be run over by a motorcycle or car.

Suggest you try to narrow down what part of Guanacaste you are interested in and ask specific questions regarding that area. If you live in the country you can let your cat out as long as it doesn't run off and you are around to watch it. When you're not it needs to be inside.

Stay away from tourist areas that's crimes number one target.
I've been here 7+ Years and never a problem never felt fear. I'm in the mountains overlooking the city of
Naranjo where I built an all glass home overlooks the valley to San Jose where I never go.

Hi Shesabuddha,                                                                              10-28-2020

I'm just beginning a similar journey because the US is not a place I want to live anymore.    I am torn emotionally with leaving my family but my daughter is hoping to settle in the US and come visit for a few months annually.     She is married (2 boys) and needs to attend to her husbands family as well.

So I am just heading out alone and am hoping to leave in about six months.   I'll need to pack up the house, get it rented, etc.     I live in Sebastopol where we have experienced a lot of fires for a few years.  We are all still recovering from the smoke.     There is the Covid problem that may alter plans.    I'd rather not arrive in a spike.

I know I will check out Atena and maybe Heredia.    Atena has a large expat group and I may need that to learn about this new world and make friends.    I don't want to live too close to the ocean but I would love to visit and explore all the beautiful places over time.    I would also like to get to know the Costa Rican people and learn my Spanish better.

The whole thing is rather daunting as I have been all about family and it is hard to believe I won't have them regularly by my side.     We are a nuclear family of Mom, Dad & 3 daughters who stayed together for most of our lives and raised our families in the same town.     I do feel blessed that we had that kind of love and unity for such a long time.

I am fully retired.

Tell me more about what you are looking for and how you feel about the move at this time.

Nice to meet you!  I'm not sure how to get your response as I just joined yesterday.     I guess I'll come here to check for it.

Carol

You have been provided with good information.
If you haven't already looked into Residency requirements I suggest this link.

Realize that living here is very different from a vacation.

Thanks for the information.     I'm sure that it is different living in Costa Rica.     I have never vacationed here but my children have and love it in that regard.      I am in the process of researching how it is different.    Can you suggest a current book that is a good introduction?     I keep finding things that are outdated.  I do not want to live in an area that is being sprayed by Chemtrails and would like to know if the 5G is in service in Costa Rica.    One of the reasons I like Costa Rica is that the country seems to be devoted to the environment and currently using 100% green powered energy for at least part of the year.     I am trying to get away from the toxicity of living in the US.   I almost cannot bear it physically.

I recently found an expat community in the city of Atena that seems like a possibility for me.    It seems like a place where I could meet friends easily.    I would also seek out ways to meet the Costan Rican people.    I used to speak Spanish and lived in Mexico for a time.   I'm a bit rusty now but would immediately take classes to improve.   I love Mexico but don't feel safe there anymore and they are being sprayed by the Chemtrails; though not as much as in the US.    Another reason I like the idea of Costa Rica is that it is warm there.

Thanks for your help.    I reviewed some of the links you sent to me.    It looks like I can qualify as a temporary resident in the retired group.

Hello Carol,

I hope this finds you well. 

Are thinking about renting or buying?

Take into consideration that Costa Rica has many different microclimates in short distances due to the mountains and its two oceans.

This is important for you need to decide what sort of weather suits you best when searching for a home.

Atenas is dryer and warm, Heredia can be mild or cooler and greener in the mountains.  They are both about the same distance from the airport as well, maybe Atenas a bit further away. Best Wishes.

Also, keep in mind renting is normally for one year. Although the law establishes a  3-year contract. The term can be terminated with at least a three-month notice to the owner, but if you break the one-year contract even with previous notice, it is very possible that you will lose your one-month deposit.

Since I have never spent much time in Costa Rica I feel it is best to rent first.      If I found that I was happy there I would consider buying.     Maybe renting will meet my needs.     I like warm weather up to about 85 degrees farenheight  and not too much below 70.    So Heredia may not be the right place.    I'd love to talk with people about Atenas and what it is like to live there.   I know there is a large expat community there and I may need to start with that as I am pretty shy and reserved.    And I will be unused to not being with family.    What do you know about Atenas?

Thanks,   Carol

Hello my name is Barry, my wife Jamie and I are researching coming to Costa Rica on a rotational basis.  90 days at a time, coming back to US for VA appointments and taking care of basic things back home.  can anyone suggest a location not in the city, but not far form the City.  We are open to anywhere really.  Thank you in advance

Cuidad de Colon
Santa Ana
San Rafael Escazu * Jaboncillos

My wife and I are getting interested in Costa Rica.  We hope to go there for a short (1 to 2 week) visit early next year, with the possibility of spending the winter of 2022/2023 there. We would like an ocean view and enjoy eating out,  art (my wife is a pastel artist) and music (jazz and Latin). We are olderand fully retired. We enjoy getting out and meeting people but aren't into the bar/party scene. Tamarindo looks appealing, but it may be too "young" for us.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Hack

Tamarindo is super touristy, and yes, it is a young crowd. If you're looking for something a little more laid back, less touristy and among a greater assortment of age groups I'd maybe travel south along the coast. Nosara, Samara, Manzanillo ( Santa Teresa is also pretty touristy and has a bit of crime going on )
Mal Pais, and around the tip of the peninsula to Cabuya and Montezuma up to Tambor. All are right on the ocean, in the Puntarenas region of the Nicoya Peninsula which is one of the worlds 7 Blue Zones.
  I used to own a B and B in Delicias which is just north of Montezuma so I'm very familiar with the region. I'm 56 and don't feel  old when I'm wandering around these areas and there's a nice mix of tacos, ex-pats, retirees, surfers, etc.... the only downside is it is a bit remote, it's sort of like living on an island. The only ways to get there are the Ferry from Puntarenas ( 1 hr + wait time ) or a small plane from San Jose or Liberia. ( 1/2 hr + wait time ) If you find yourself needing to go into the city often, it may not be the best choice. I would only need to go into the city every so often to go to one of the bigger box-type stores or the Home Depot, most everything else I can find locally. Doctor appointments and things like that are also something to consider if you're considering residency. Of course there are many  other towns along the pacific coast south of Jaco the Southern Zone may suit you, or perhaps some of the other towns near Tamarindo if you're into retirement villages and condominium communities. Lots of places to choose from, I'd suggest you take a trip down, check out a few areas before you make the big move. Buena suerte......

Chem-trails and G5?