Trump New Executive Order to temporarily limit legal immigration

For those who are in the immigration process to enter the USA, you might want to do some research on the new executive order.  I don't like posting links, but this might help you get started:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics … oronavirus

*** Despite being the most powerful country, they are losing the production fight with China... who i have to agree are the most poweful manufacturing nation at the moment.

Closing or restricting immigration is his way of protecting the US economy, but everyone wants the latest gadgets etc and the cheapest price.

Same in the UK, atpin the time of brexit everyon said buy British... but in reality most people buy foreign made phones, computers, tv, car etc.

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Political.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Waiting for the official EO as I'm at NVC stage right now but it sounds like and seems reasonable that they are continuing to allow USC to bring spouse and/or children.  Shouldn't be a big deal in Vietnam.

Travel and borders are already shut down - so an immigration ban is moot.

SteinNebraska wrote:

Waiting for the official EO as I'm at NVC stage right now but it sounds like and seems reasonable that they are continuing to allow USC to bring spouse and/or children.  Shouldn't be a big deal in Vietnam.

As I read it, the prohibition is on the issuance of new green cards which effectively stops immigration but not applications.  Issuance of the green card is effectively the last step in the process. 

Spousal immigrants enter the country without one but I think there is a deadline before which they must get one.  (I refuse to stand behind this assertion if anyone posts a link to the contrary.   :mad: Feel free to do so.)  If I was midway through the process, I would just proceed as normal.  By the time your application is approved the policy may be changed again, particularly if it is after 20 Jan 21.

THIGV wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

As I read it, the prohibition is on the issuance of new green cards which effectively stops immigration but not applications.  Issuance of the green card is effectively the last step in the process. 

Spousal immigrants enter the country without one but I think there is a deadline before which they must get one.  (I refuse to stand behind this assertion if anyone posts a link to the contrary.   :mad: Feel free to do so.)  If I was midway through the process, I would just proceed as normal.  By the time your application is approved the policy may be changed again, particularly if it is after 20 Jan 21.

Since it's a 60 day order, I wonder if federal authorities would put pending cases on hold instead of rejecting them outright?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Since it's a 60 day order, I wonder if federal authorities would put pending cases on hold instead of rejecting them outright?

It always amazes me how quickly civil servants internalize the opinions and policies of the chief executive.  You are correct that they should put cases on hold but you never know.  In his daily COVID-19 press briefing today, Trump said that it was a 60 day policy subject to renewal as many times as he saw fit.  The policy will also in all likelihood be challenged in Federal court as well but that can go either way.

NVC is still working during the COVID shutdown, not sure after this deal.  Once NVC approves everything it is all sent to the respective consulate for interview and processing.  There has been talk that some interviews for formalities like employment visas have been waived.  There is talk that some immigration visas could still be approved without an interview if they are "obvious".  So someone like me who has verifiable good US income, still have a house to show domicile, don't need a sponsor, and actually lives here with my wife (shows bona fide marriage) might be approved without an interview.

Realistically, though, I'm not worried about that.  I did get excited to get to NVC April 1.  NVC to visa in hand is generally 3-4 months.  I had hoped for a trip home with the family for Christmas for a couple of weeks, moving home June 2021 after school is out.  Might miss Christmas but even with all of the delays it shouldn't impact June 2021.

I just read the official text of the EO.  Exemption for spouse or child of USC.  All good.

SteinNebraska wrote:

I just read the official text of the EO.  Exemption for spouse or child of USC.  All good.

Very good news for expats.  I didn't find the official order but this was in the NY Times today:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/us/p … cards.html
Back to the normal pace:  All systems on slow.  :cheers:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/22/poli … index.html

SUSPENSION OF ENTRY OF IMMIGRANTS WHO PRESENT A RISK TO THE UNITED STATES LABOR MARKET DURING THE ECONOMIC RECOVERY FOLLOWING THE 2019 NOVEL CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK
- - - - - - -
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION
The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) has significantly disrupted the livelihoods of Americans. In Proclamation 9994 of March 13, 2020 (Declaring a National Emergency Concerning the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak), I declared that the COVID--19 outbreak in the United States constituted a national emergency, beginning March 1, 2020. Since then, the American people have united behind a policy of mitigation strategies, including social distancing, to flatten the curve of infections and reduce the spread of SARS--CoV--2, the virus that causes COVID-19. This needed behavioral shift has taken a toll on the United States economy, with national unemployment claims reaching historic levels. In the days between the national emergency declaration and April 11, 2020, more than 22 million Americans have filed for unemployment.
In the administration of our Nation's immigration system, we must be mindful of the impact of foreign workers on the United States labor market, particularly in an environment of high domestic unemployment and depressed demand for labor. We must also conserve critical State Department resources so that consular officers may continue to provide services to United States citizens abroad. Even with their ranks diminished by staffing disruptions caused by the pandemic, consular officers continue to provide assistance to United States citizens, including through the ongoing evacuation of many Americans stranded overseas.
I have determined that, without intervention, the United States faces a potentially protracted economic recovery with persistently high unemployment if labor supply outpaces labor demand. Excess labor supply affects all workers and potential workers, but it is particularly harmful to workers at the margin between employment and unemployment, who are typically "last in" during an economic expansion and "first out" during an economic contraction. In recent years, these workers have been disproportionately represented by historically disadvantaged groups, including African Americans and other minorities, those without a college degree, and the disabled. These are the workers who, at the margin between employment and unemployment, are likely to bear the burden of excess labor supply disproportionately.
Furthermore, lawful permanent residents, once admitted, are granted "open-market" employment authorization documents, allowing them immediate eligibility to compete for almost any job, in any sector of the economy. There is no way to protect already disadvantaged and unemployed Americans from the threat of competition for scarce jobs from new lawful permanent residents by directing those new residents to particular economic sectors with a demonstrated need not met by the existing labor supply. Existing immigrant visa processing protections are inadequate for recovery from the COVID-19 outbreak. The vast majority of immigrant visa categories do not require employers to account for displacement of United States workers. While some employment-based visas contain a labor certification requirement, because visa issuance happens substantially after the certification is completed, the labor certification process cannot adequately capture the status of the labor market today. Moreover, introducing additional permanent residents when our healthcare resources are limited puts strain on the finite limits of our healthcare system at a time when we need to prioritize Americans and the existing immigrant population. In light of the above, I have determined that the entry, during the next 60 days, of certain aliens as immigrants would be detrimental to the interests of the United States.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including sections 212(f) and 215(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, 8 U.S.C. 1182(f) and 1185(a), and section 301 of title 3, United States Code, hereby find that the entry into the United States of persons described in section 1 of this proclamation would, except as provided for in section 2 of this proclamation, be detrimental to the interests of the United States, and that their entry should be subject to certain restrictions, limitations, and exceptions. I therefore hereby proclaim the following:
Section 1. Suspension and Limitation on Entry. The entry into the United States of aliens as immigrants is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.
Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry. (a) The suspension and limitation on entry pursuant to section 1 of this proclamation shall apply only to aliens who:
(i) are outside the United States on the effective date of this proclamation;
(ii) do not have an immigrant visa that is valid on the effective date of this proclamation; and
(iii) do not have an official travel document other than a visa (such as a transportation letter, an appropriate boarding foil, or an advance parole document) that is valid on the effective date of this proclamation or issued on any date thereafter that permits him or her to travel to the United States and seek entry or admission.
(b) The suspension and limitation on entry pursuant to section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:
(i) any lawful permanent resident of the United States;
(ii) any alien seeking to enter the United States on an immigrant visa as a physician, nurse, or other healthcare professional; to perform medical research or other research intended to combat the spread of COVID-19; or to perform work essential to combating, recovering from, or otherwise alleviating the effects of the COVID-19 outbreak, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees; and any spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old of any such alien who are accompanying or following to join the alien;
(iii) any alien applying for a visa to enter the United States pursuant to the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program;
(iv) any alien who is the spouse of a United States citizen;
(v) any alien who is under 21 years old and is the child of a United States citizen, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications;
(vi) any alien whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees, based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee;
(vii) any member of the United States Armed Forces and any spouse and children of a member of the United States Armed Forces;
(viii) any alien seeking to enter the United States pursuant to a Special Immigrant Visa in the SI or SQ classification, subject to such conditions as the Secretary of State may impose, and any spouse and children of any such individual; or
(ix) any alien whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees.
Sec. 3. Implementation and Enforcement. (a) The consular officer shall determine, in his or her discretion, whether an immigrant has established his or her eligibility for an exception in section 2(b) of this proclamation. The Secretary of State shall implement this proclamation as it applies to visas pursuant to such procedures as the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, may establish in the Secretary of State's discretion. The Secretary of Homeland Security shall implement this proclamation as it applies to the entry of aliens pursuant to such procedures as the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of State, may establish in the Secretary of Homeland Security's discretion.
(b) An alien who circumvents the application of this proclamation through fraud, willful misrepresentation of a material fact, or illegal entry shall be a priority for removal by the Department of Homeland Security.
(c) Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to limit the ability of an individual to seek asylum, refugee status, withholding of removal, or protection under the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, consistent with the laws of the United States.
Sec. 4. Termination. This proclamation shall expire 60 days from its effective date and may be continued as necessary. Whenever appropriate, but no later than 50 days from the effective date of this proclamation, the Secretary of Homeland Security shall, in consultation with the Secretary of State and the Secretary of Labor, recommend whether I should continue or modify this proclamation.
Sec. 5. Effective Date. This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on April 23, 2020.
Sec. 6. Additional Measures. Within 30 days of the effective date of this proclamation, the Secretary of Labor and the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of State, shall review nonimmigrant programs and shall recommend to me other measures appropriate to stimulate the United States economy and ensure the prioritization, hiring, and employment of United States workers.
Sec. 7. Severability. It is the policy of the United States to enforce this proclamation to the maximum extent possible to advance the interests of the United States. Accordingly:
(a) if any provision of this proclamation, or the application of any provision to any person or circumstance, is held to be invalid, the remainder of this proclamation and the application of its provisions to any other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby; and
(b) if any provision of this proclamation, or the application of any provision to any person or circumstance, is held to be invalid because of the lack of certain procedural requirements, the relevant executive branch officials shall implement those procedural requirements to conform with existing law and with any applicable court orders.
Sec. 8. General Provisions. (a) Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:
(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or,
(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.
(b) This proclamation shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.
(c) This proclamation is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
twenty-second day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-fourth.
DONALD J. TRUMP

Yawn too long for me to read all of it,****
Overseas companies produce goods cheaper and better than stuff made in the US.

Imagine asking the average person on the street to give up their latest laptop or phone made in Asia for a more expensive home-made one ?

Diversirty of culture is a good thing.. ****

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Political.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello,

Please note that this topic has been moved to the USA forum since its subject quite clearly concerns the US.

Thanks,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Diksha wrote:

Hello,

Please note that this topic has been moved to the USA forum since its subject quite clearly concerns the US.

Thanks,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Please move it back to the Vietnam forum.

It was posted there to be informative to the many expats and Vietnamese citizens who will be affected by the order.

Thanks!

:cheers:

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Yawn too long for me to read all of it,****
Overseas companies produce goods cheaper and better than stuff made in the US.

Imagine asking the average person on the street to give up their latest laptop or phone made in Asia for a more expensive home-made one ?

Diversirty of culture is a good thing.. ****

May as well just deleted the original post... now the above has no meaning becuae half the post is missing

Editing or censoring the post is pointless, the post no longer makes any sense.

Censorship i beleive is a violation of feeedom of speech

News clippings are the best way to keep the confused uninformed.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Diksha wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Please move it back to the Vietnam forum.

It was posted there to be informative to the many expats and Vietnamese citizens who will be affected by the order.

Thanks!

:cheers:

@Oceanbeach - you are correct.

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Editing or censoring the post is pointless, the post no longer makes any sense.

Censorship i beleive is a violation of feeedom of speech

As I read your original post, you started saying some things about Trump, which means you were probably edited for political speech (it says "political" is the reason).

Also, this is a privately owned website.

No Freedom of Speech here if the moderators don't want to see what we've written remaining posted.

twostep wrote:

Sorry, humor is not allowed here.  :mad::joking:

THIGV wrote:
twostep wrote:

Sorry, humor is not allowed here.  :mad::joking:

This thread has enough humor to be considered a bad comedy.

Where is the link to the official and signed Executive Order?
Spouses entering the US without Green Card and the disclaimer "I think so". Please check your passport.
Green Card though interview because of income and bonafide marriage? And when did that rumor start?
Rumor of issuance of visas without interview? Who overslept the uproars when the mandate for interviews and the extended processing times was put in place?

Does anyone here ever bother to check facts?

twostep wrote:

Where is the link to the official and signed Executive Order?
Spouses entering the US without Green Card and the disclaimer "I think so". Please check your passport.
Green Card though interview because of income and bonafide marriage? And when did that rumor start?
Rumor of issuance of visas without interview? Who overslept the uproars when the mandate for interviews and the extended processing times was put in place?

Does anyone here ever bother to check facts?

What the hell are you talking about?  I linked the EO on post 11 and posted the full text of it.

If you even made a half-assed effort to read my post it has been bought up that right now some employment visas are being approved without the formality of a consulate interview due to shutdown due to COVID19 and that it is POSSIBLE in the future that they will start to consider some CR1 visas without an interview if they are deemed obvious.  Nothing has been set in stone on that, it's just under consideration. 

Read, breathe, then bloviate.

" There is no way to protect already disadvantaged and unemployed Americans from the threat of competition for scarce jobs from new lawful permanent residents by directing those new residents to particular economic sectors with a demonstrated need not met by the existing labor supply."

that's just right... I guess for 60 days... then we'll see...
Please be patient... many American people lost their job...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

As I read your original post, you started saying some things about Trump, which means you were probably edited for political speech (it says "political" is the reason).

I didn't see the post in question before it was edited so I can't comment on what was said, but sometimes simple factual statements about our President may at times seem like criticism.  A good example would be to say that the other day Trump suggested that bleach or isopropyl alcohol could be injected into the body.  This is a statement of fact.  I heard him say it in real time but it still makes him look idiotic.

BTW:  Was this topic moved from the Vietnam forum to the USA forum?  All the commenters seem to be regulars on the Vietnam forum.  I know myself that I never would have seen this thread unless it was on the Vietnam forum first.  As it mostly is of concern to people living outside the US, why not leave it where it was?

dont' forget that: most of American people come from foreign countries.

neveralone wrote:

dont' forget that: most of American people come from foreign countries.

True but the point is that the order only effects those who are awaiting green cards.  If you are already a resident alien or already naturalized, the order does not effect you.  Hence for any expats in the US legally, the order is of no concern.

Go back to the OP: 

vndreamer wrote:

For those who are in the immigration process to enter the USA, you might want to do some research on the new executive order

Note the words "those who are in the immigration process."  I think that speaks to who should be concerned.

THIGV wrote:

I didn't see the post in question before it was edited so I can't comment on what was said, but sometimes simple factual statements about our President may at times seem like criticism.  A good example would be to say that the other day Trump suggested that bleach or isopropyl alcohol could be injected into the body.  This is a statement of fact.  I heard him say it in real time but it still makes him look idiotic.

Harry Truman said that he never gave anybody hell he just told the truth and they thought it was hell.