Moving to Kuala Lumpur

Hello guys,

Good to meet all of you here. I am supposed to move to Kuala Lumpur this Aug/Sept for my job. Hopefully there are no changes given the uncertain time that we are in now and would like to take the opportunity to do some research about Kuala Lumpur.

Any good recommendations on where to stay? I will be there together with my wife and 1 kid. My office will be in KL city itself but we do not fancy staying in the city centre. Is there any suburb with vibrant community around?

Thank you in advance for your suggestion.

Hi ed.smith78,

We are also glad to welcome you to Expat.com  :happy:

Well, for your search, these two following articles might give you some valuable hints :

- Accommodation in Kuala Lumpur
- Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods

Best of luck,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

There are several areas just outside KL City where plenty of locals and expats live. These include Bangsar, South Bangsar, Damansara, Mont Kiara to name but a few. There are lots of houses as well as condominiums.

My personal choice in Bangsar because it has a great shopping and eating area with some really nice malls either in Bangsar itself or 5 minutes away at Mid-Valley Megamall. Also, KL Sentral station is just 10 minutes away. Bangsar is also about 20 - 30 minutes into the city depending on the traffic. The only thing is that if you are not driving then you'd need to take a taxi or bus to the nearest train station to get into the city.

Actually, if you go to the Pictures Section in Community at the top of the page you can see a couple of photos that I uploaded of the KL City skyline. The pictures were taken from my apartment in Bangsar, so you can get an idea of the distance into the city.

You could explore a few areas such as Mont Kiara or Desa Park City. Desa Park City will be further away from the city but I personally like the environment there.

You can check it out..

Thank you all for your reply. Very much appreciated.

I will definitely consider Bangsar and Desa Park City. Does anybody have experience living in Mont Kiara & Hartamas? Sounds like a good place to me.

Cheers,
Edwin

Hi Edwin,
I am currently staying in Mont Kiara and loving it. It has a good mixture of local and expatriate community here.
Groceries and F&B are all over in this area, so not to worry about that.
I am not sure how old is your kid but there are 2 international schools here if you are looking for one.
Feel free to pm need if you need more info.

Js

Damansara Heights could be another option for you. Pretty close to city centre as well.

All the above areas are considered nice, but I would definitely look for a place that is not too far from a shopping mall and plenty of nightlife, restaurants, banks, post office etc.

Shill88 wrote:

All the above areas are considered nice, but I would definitely look for a place that is not too far from a shopping mall and plenty of nightlife, restaurants, banks, post office etc.

I intend to move to Kl starting October '20. My new office address stands as " Subang Hi-Tech Industrial Park, Shah Alam, Selangor". Is it advisable to stay near to office or in KL ? Are good accommodation facilities available near the address mentioned ? Any suggestions... I intend to move with my family having a 10 year old school going kid.

Cheers... Anand

Hi Ed,

Welcome to KL, hope you already settled down.
I'd recommend a vibrant but not too crowded community - Bangsar. You can travel to KL City by commute or Grab, it's very convenient and yet Expat friendly. **** You may also find lots of nice restaurant and shopping mall in Bangsar like Bangsar Village Mall is always my favourite.

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed on Expat.com + thanks to get registered in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

It really depends what distance you are willing to commute. I mean, you could live anywhere from KL Sentral to Bangsar South to Subang Jaya or Sunway or Shah Alam itself. Taman Desa might be a choice but I am not sure of public transport to Shah Alam.

The two most important things in my opinion are firstly to decide a school for your child (KL has so many international schools). Secondly, unless you will be driving then choose a place near to an LRT rail station. Bangsar South is great because not only is it on the Federal Highway which is the main (and very busy during rush hour) highway to Shah Alam, but there is an LRT station. If you consider a condo like KL Gateway, apart from all the amenities that come with most modern condos, there is also a shopping mall in the building and it's just a two minute walk to the LRT station under a covered walkway.

I would not consider Bangsar because public transportation is not good unless you are willing to take Grab car or taxi to work or at least to the nearest train station. It's a nice place to live but better if you own a car.

Other places that I mentioned above are also good and actually closer to Shah Alam than
Bangsar South. But again, consider where your child will go to school when you choose a location to live.