Brickfields or Jalan Ampang better?

I am moving to Kuala Lumpur next month. Which is best place to live- Brickfields or Jalan Ampang? 4 months back I visited Little India and I loved that place. Planned to take admission for my daughter at Global Indian school too. But now everyone saying brickfields is not good area. If I choose Ampang, then planned to take admission at Sayfol. Which place is good choice? I need low fees school.

Go with your gut instinct. Neither of the schools has a very good reputation, but they are cheap. I think you will find accommodation may cost a little more near Jalan Ampang. In Brickfields (although not that suitable for kids) you can probably get a place for RM2500-3000.

What about HAVIL International School? Its also close to Brickfields but has a better reputation and low fees. A British friend has his son there and it works well. The best of both worlds.....

Thank you for your reply friend  :)

In my opinion, staying at Jalan Ampang is more suitable especially for those who have kids. The residential area along jalan ampang is quite huge and it consists of more than 15 zones of residential areas. You have many option to choose what kind of environment residential area you looking for. From high end cost, medium and low end. Most important is SAFETY. It's your call.

Whereby for Brickfield area is quite limited, middle of the city zone with heavy traffic day and night. Congested and dodging potholes and traffic cones, and pray you don't get hit by a passing vehicles especially motorbikes. Never feel calm for staying but it's awesome if just for drop by and shopping or hang out. SAFETY for kids? ... hurmm.. well, as today, more than 150,000 commuters pass through its doors EVERYDAY. So, i'ts better I leave it to you to answer about safety. Further, the decision is still yours.

Thank you

Regards

But if you are Indian, Brickfields is a great environment - as the guy said - he liked it.

Gravitas wrote:

But if you are Indian, Brickfields is a great environment - as the guy said - he liked it.

Yes, indeed. I agree with you. If he willing to compromise with his kid's safety and facing all the heavy congested everyday, why not? I have no objection for him to stay in Brickfield.

Cheers

I am a lady and planning to relocate at KL, Malaysia with my daughter. I am new to here and no friends or relatives. I need safest place to live. I saw good feedback about Jalan Ampang.. What about the safety in that area? Or Petaling Jaya is more good? I am checking area related with my daughter's schooling. So please reply.

The first point to raise is whether immigration will process a pass of any kind for a woman who is travelling/working in Malaysia alone. This is not typically done. I trust you have enquired about this.

Jalan Ampang is very urban for much of its length and full of traffic jams day and night. You need to get away from the road itself. Depending on where you look, whether it is a safe place or not. The issues are mainly handbag snatching and women walking alone. Jalan Ampang is not a very child-friendly area and it would be better to live in one of the suburbs where families tend to live.

What I find extremely annoying is that people purposely bump into me or come and sit close to me. Having said that, they are usually visitors to Malaysia. Malaysians are generally far more socially aware. For me it is completely unsolicited on my side and an invasion of privacy.

The usual rules here are dont dress too expensively nor wear flashy gold jewellry. Discretion is the best policy. I would say look for schools (not much of quality close to Jalan Ampang though) and then choose your accommodation.

Totally confused about where to start. I am coming there as per my company starting a branch over there. I can decide where to start. So first I need to choose a place with school and accommodation. Which is a good area in your view?

Depends where your office is located as you will need to use public transport unless you want to drive (and that can be awful and take masses of time - as well as being expensive). So it really does depend on your office location. Is it in KLCC? Children tend to get bused to schools in the urban areas.

If you have a choice where to set up the new office, then there are some good places outside KLCC area, such as Bangsar South, Damansara, One Utama. Or even further out, such as Cyberjaya (safe modern area) full of MNCs.

Gravitas wrote:

Depends where your office is located as you will need to use public transport unless you want to drive (and that can be awful and take masses of time - as well as being expensive). So it really does depend on your office location. Is it in KLCC? Children tend to get bused to schools in the urban areas.

If you have a choice where to set up the new office, then there are some good places outside KLCC area, such as Bangsar South, Damansara, One Utama. Or even further out, such as Cyberjaya (safe modern area) full of MNCs.

Absolutely agreed with Gravitas. Try to find a place that easy to commute to your work place such as LRT or MRT and at the same time your kids are in good manage as well. Those places that recommended by Gravitas are superb.
You mentioned Petaling Jaya? Hurmm.. out of topic.

Hi, Thanks for the replies.. I am planning to stay at Ampang Hilir.. Trying to get rent flat at suria jelatek residence. Its near to Sayfol. Hope that area is good. What is your opinion about that area and flat?

Well to be honest, its one of the worst schools and not a residential nice area, although convenient to the Mall and Gleneagles hospital. Its mainly a Malay area.

Why dont you look at opening an office at Sentral, living in Brickfields (Indian area - handy as your children dont speak Malay) and sending your children to Havil International School.

There is good office space in a couple of main buildings at Sentral and it now has a beautiful supermarket and Mall. The office space also has some government dept. so handy. Its very popular and good work and live hub.

I hope you have checked the price of office space in KLCC before deciding where you will live in relation to it, because the rentals are very high indeed and remember you have to usually pay for the renovation of an office before you can move in.

Another very popular office area is the UOA Building in Bangsar. Very nice residential area as well. One stop past Sentral so conveniently right on the LRT route. The building is only 2 years old.

Just some thoughts as it seems a bit strange what you are proposing.

(moderated : please post in the housing section)

Need only 1500-3500RM budget

Hi Amara, To widen your outreach and find potential tenants for your property, please slip the information into the Housing section above. Its an active resource and may be useful as there are alerts generated.

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/asia/malaysia/

Good luck!

Hi, i am moving to KL soon, my office is at Jalan Stesen Sentral, looks like very close to Brickfield, i searched online but i didnt find any good appartments in Brickfield. Can you suggest me some area near my office with good housing/security/play ground for children? Also i saw you suggest Havil International School over Global Indian international, any specific reason on this please?

Hi
moving to KL in Jan from India  with family looking for school for son 
Vikas/Havil/GIIs/ fit in budget pls comment

Honsbridge academy with Cambridge curriculum looks impressive pls  suggest for bset among these

thanks

whats the budget for ur accommodation?

Definitely Ampang is more elite but if you're Indian, you would most likely be attracted to Little India and what it is has to offer.