Citizenship through heritage

Hello all,

I am applying for Hungarian citizenship by heritage/direct ascendant (my great-grandparents). The consulate has reviewed my documents and say that I qualify. I also speak Hungarian so this is not an issue. The question I have is, I read on a different forum (Reddit) that to get citizenship this way, you must prove that you were born in wedlock (I have not read this anywhere else). My great grandparents who were Hungarian (born in Hungary) were married when they had my grandmother (who was born in the US). Then my grandmother was married when she had my mother. But my mother was not married to my father when I was born. The lineage comes through my mother. Does it matter that my parents were not married if I can still prove lineage through just my mother?  Thank you!

I suggest you join Hungarian Citizenship Journey, a Facebook group. Then google the posts and, if you cannot find the answer, post your question.

alex.sandor4 wrote:

Hello all,

I am applying for Hungarian citizenship by heritage/direct ascendant (my great-grandparents). The consulate has reviewed my documents and say that I qualify. I also speak Hungarian so this is not an issue. The question I have is, I read on a different forum (Reddit) that to get citizenship this way, you must prove that you were born in wedlock ....  Thank you!

There's a thread on here for these kinds of questions.  Better to just search for it rather than starting a new discussion otherwise people won't necessarily be informed there's a new question.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people there who have been through similar processes.