E-File US Tax Return With NRA Wife Without ITIN/SSN?

Anyone know a way to e-file taxes when you are married to a non-resident alien spouse that doesn't have an ITIN or SSN?  I'm filing MFS, not claiming HoH or dependents or any other tax breaks or deductions.  Turbo Tax won't let me do it and is saying I need to paper file with NRA written in for my spouses SSN.

Regarding US ITINs, has anyone here gone through that process while in Vietnam?  If so, can you share a brief rundown of how to go about it?

mtgmike wrote:

Anyone know a way to e-file taxes when you are married to a non-resident alien spouse that doesn't have an ITIN or SSN?  I'm filing MFS, not claiming HoH or dependents or any other tax breaks or deductions.  Turbo Tax won't let me do it and is saying I need to paper file with NRA written in for my spouses SSN.

Regarding US ITINs, has anyone here gone through that process while in Vietnam?  If so, can you share a brief rundown of how to go about it?

I regret I don't have answers to your specific questions, but I'll pass along that I've used Skype here to call IRS and Social Security on their toll-free numbers, without any additional charge.

I've been looking into it but haven't done it yet.  IRS.gov has some pretty good information but still a little vague.  In case you aren't aware, tax filing deadline has been extended to July 15 this year.  Not sure of any state taxes if you are still tied to a state as I am with my job/salary and permanent residence there.

For the U.S. -  As I recall (it's been a couple of years) you can use 999 99 9999 for her number. You will then need to fill out the request for the ITIN and send it in with her origional passport or a certified copy translated in English. As far as I know, this is the only way. I tried sending a regular photocopy of my wifes passport the first  time and it was rejected. Hope this helps.

It has been several years since I got my wife an ITIN to file jointly while living in Vietnam but I don't recall the process being at all difficult.  You have to file a form W-7 and submit some original documents as dbrutter correctly noted.  The later part is a little scary but they should come back as they say.  I seem recall that we sent my wife's Vietnamese passport because we figured it could always be replaced if needed, but it did come back.  An advantage of the passport over other documents is that it is bilingual already and doesn't need translation.  It does take some time to be assigned the number but this year you have a grace period on the filing deadline until 15 July 20.  If the number is not assigned in time  you can still file as pending, but as you say, TurboTax may balk at that.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna … ien-spousehttps://www.irs.gov/individuals/individ … ion-number

There are also third party websites that help you apply online but I can't vouch for any of them.  My general experience it that it is better to deal direct.